Coleman petrol stove

Old September 30th 03, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Filler

Default Coleman petrol stove

Hi

I have a Coleman single burner petrol stove which I use with unleaded petrol
with varying degrees of success. The main problem is that it often flares up
with yellow flames. I've read about the need to clean these stoves regularly
but have not been able to find out which are the critical parts are that
need cleaning. Could anyone help?

Am I right in thinking that using expensive Coleman fuel would reduce these
flare ups?

Thanks

Phil

Old September 30th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

The main problem is that it often flares up
with yellow flames.

Several years back I used to run a Coleman Peak stove on unleaded, and I
recall that as the generator tube became more progressively blocked it
used to flare up.

Coleman fuel was, and still is expensive, and that together with expiring
a few generator tubes, made me chuck the stove in the bin.

I returned to using my trusty Optimus 96, which is still working
faultlessly after 25 years or more.

Stuart.
Old October 3rd 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Iain

My Coleman often does that if there is not enough pressure in it, or if it's
not burning hot enough over the 'heater pipe bit'. I get round it by giving
the stove loads of pressure and when lit, firing it right up for a few
seconds.

Old October 7th 03, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

Kero burners are safe, and very reliable

I know, I have owned and used a Optimus 96L for the last 30 years.

Its been very reliable, never failed on me.

Stuart.