heating

« - | - »

Old October 19th 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
mike k

Default heating

as a relative newcomer to this lark, can anyone recommend the best
method for heating a large awning on a trailer tent. We will be staying
on a site with electric hook-up available. I begin to wonder whether or
not booking a weekend away in Derbyshire in December was such a good
idea after all...
Mike K
==
reply-to address is invalid. If emailing replies try:
newsATkinderbergDOTdemonDOTcoDOTuk

Old October 19th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen Glynn

You brave man.
I'd use a fan heater on its lowest heating range, just in case it took out
the trip.............or breathe into your hands!

Old October 19th 03, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:55:51 +0100, mike k
wrote:

as a relative newcomer to this lark, can anyone recommend the best
method for heating a large awning on a trailer tent. We will be staying
on a site with electric hook-up available. I begin to wonder whether or
not booking a weekend away in Derbyshire in December was such a good
idea after all...

You'd be amazed at how much heat a little backpacking stove gives out
when you're cooking, or one of those gas light things, warmed up my
tent toasty warm - though it is smaller than an awning. It's a damp
heat though, it won't dry anything

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
The terrorist state of Israel has 200 nuclear weapons targetted at Arab
Old October 20th 03, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mr.Nice.[_2_]

Twas Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:08:03 +0100 when "Sarah Hodge"
put finger to keyboard producing:

We use a halogen heater in our trailer tent awning.

It has three heat levels, runs silently and you get the added bonus of the
light that it produces.

Our one also comes with a remote control which means you can keep it burning
until your tucked in your sleeping bag and then point and click to turn it
off!!

Or turn it on in the morning without leaving your toasty-warm...

--
Regards.
Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)
Old October 24th 03, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
occ[_2_]

wrote:

as a relative newcomer to this lark, can anyone recommend the best
method for heating a large awning on a trailer tent. We will be staying
on a site with electric hook-up available. I begin to wonder whether or
not booking a weekend away in Derbyshire in December was such a good
idea after all...

Hi

How about a wood buring stovebut if you have to be in to that sort of
think
www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor

John O'Connell

Old October 24th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
mike k

mike k wrote:
as a relative newcomer to this lark, can anyone recommend the best
method for heating a large awning on a trailer tent. We will be staying
on a site with electric hook-up available. I begin to wonder whether or
not booking a weekend away in Derbyshire in December was such a good
idea after all...

Many thanks to everyone for their input. Taking everything into
consideration, we've gone for a halogen.

Mike K
==

Old October 26th 03, 01:12 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul King

"mike k" wrote in message
as a relative newcomer to this lark, can anyone recommend the best
method for heating a large awning on a trailer tent. We will be staying
on a site with electric hook-up available. I begin to wonder whether or
not booking a weekend away in Derbyshire in December was such a good
idea after all...
Mike K
==
reply-to address is invalid. If emailing replies try:
newsATkinderbergDOTdemonDOTcoDOTuk

Please allow me to explain the laws of insane physics...
I'm sorry, but on re-reading this prior to posting, it's fairly long!

For years (and I MEAN years and years... and years) I went on holiday with
my parents, tenting, and we used a butane gas fire. It was about 15" long
with a parabolic shiny reflector and it BELTED the heat out.

One day the blood rushed to my head and I got married! Not complaining, you
understand, but these things happen. It took many years to get my wife to go
camping, but after her bro and his wife bought a frame tent and
"demonstrated how big it was and how cheap their holidays were" she
condecended to "giving it a try" on the understanding that if she didn't
like it - I'd never ask again.

Well, she absoloutely loved it, and reflected why we had never done it
before!

Anyway, some 30 years later (from childhood - camping with parents) it was
pressed into service again for use with with wife and family. Said gas fire
served well for several season, until wife decided that we'd use her
mother's 2.5KW fan header as it would be "better"! That season we freezed
for the whole two weeks because the evenings were so cold! And it was July!

Moral:-
Phew! Eventually got there! You cannot underestimate just how cold it gets
at night, considering you're living on (or JUST above the ground).

Electric fan heaters just won't cut it in a (large) tent. You'll complain
about being cold and the "draught" from the heater. In a house, an electric
fan heater is fine because the heat is held fairly captive.... but a tent
leaks heat like a sieve! You'll be far better off with a gas (radiant)
heater.

YMMV

---

« - | - »