Thermarest tip

« - | - »

Old October 29th 03, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
mudlark[_2_]

Default Thermarest tip

Thought I'd share my experiences of locating and sealing punctures on
thermarest mats based on advice I read elsewhere on the net.

I've got two thermarest mats: a standard and an ultralight.
The ultalight had been leaking for a long time and defied all attempts
to locate the damn punctures. So I mostly used my standard. But that
got riddled with hole in Greece this autumn, leaving me with to
useless mats. So I set about fixiing them both.

LOCATING THE PUNCTURE
1st method: fully inflate, fold and submerge in bath tub of water

With the Ultralight nothing. Not a trace of air bubbles.
The Standard some of the bigger puncture located, but of the smaller
ones were not--even when the mat was compressed.

2nd method: Fill small container with high detergent/water
concentration and 'paint' on the mat in sections

The ONLY way to detect smaller punctures on the Ultralight and
Standard. Fold the mat and paint one section at a time. The bigger
holes are quickly spotted as they bubble away, but the smaller ones
need a keener eye. The telltale sign is a small spot of white foam. To
be sure clear away foam and wait for it to appear again.

The big problem was marking the puncture site. I tried ball point
pens, soft lead pencils, coloured marker pens, and tippex. None of
these were failsafe and more than once I lost the puncture site after
washing of the detergent. Any better suggestion about marking are
welcome.

SEALING THE PUNCTURE
Clean of detergent with water (try to avoid taking of the indentifying
marks) and dry. Fully deflate the mat and drop a blob of glue over
each marked area and leave for a good few hours to dry. I tested the
mats by inflating them fully and leaving them over time to see if they
deflated. More often than not they went down and I had to go through
the process of locating others punctures until I got them all. They
have tended to give themselves up over time and not in one hit. So
it's been labourious but the alternative would have been to bin two
expensive camping mats.

Mudlark
XL650V
Old October 29th 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MP

"mudlark" aouj86atdsl.pipex.com wrote in message
news
[...]

Sounds a job for the more patient of use but just incase what glue did you
use, and have you given them a good testing now thy are repaired.
MP

Old October 30th 03, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
mudlark[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:51:50 -0000, "MP" typed:

Sounds a job for the more patient of use but just incase what glue did you
use, and have you given them a good testing now thy are repaired.
MP

I used Bostik All Purpose and that has sealed them off pretty good. I
tried a soft plastic glue but that didn't hold so well.

The Ultrallight, which was a real pain to locate the holes, seems to
be fixed. It's was still firmly inflated after 48 hours. The standard
is may have a minute hole somewhere as it's still inflated and
firmish, but I feel it has lost a bit of air.

Mudlark
XL650V
Old November 1st 03, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
MP

"mudlark" aouj86atdsl.pipex.com wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:51:50 -0000, "MP" typed:

Sounds a job for the more patient of use but just incase what glue did

you
use, and have you given them a good testing now thy are repaired.
MP

I used Bostik All Purpose and that has sealed them off pretty good. I
tried a soft plastic glue but that didn't hold so well.

The Ultrallight, which was a real pain to locate the holes, seems to
be fixed. It's was still firmly inflated after 48 hours. The standard
is may have a minute hole somewhere as it's still inflated and
firmish, but I feel it has lost a bit of air.

Mudlark
XL650V

Thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind.
MP

« - | - »