Any good camping stories?

Old November 11th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul McGuinness

Default Any good camping stories?

Well as winter in the old days used to be the time to huddle round the
fire and tell stories, has anyone got any good camping stories to tell?
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old November 11th 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Goofy

"Paul McGuinness" wrote in message
Well as winter in the old days used to be the time to huddle round the
fire and tell stories, has anyone got any good camping stories to tell?
--
Paul reply-to is valid

Only the one where our hook-up lead was 4ft short!
I was fuming - good job my wife went to the site shop and bought a new
"proper" length one before I folded the camper by foot!
Other than the usual incidents following too much "shandy".... ;-)

Old November 12th 03, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul McGuinness[_2_]

In message , Goofy
writes

"Paul McGuinness" wrote in message
Well as winter in the old days used to be the time to huddle round the
fire and tell stories, has anyone got any good camping stories to tell?
--
Paul reply-to is valid

Only the one where our hook-up lead was 4ft short!
I was fuming - good job my wife went to the site shop and bought a new
"proper" length one before I folded the camper by foot!
Other than the usual incidents following too much "shandy".... ;-)

Yes, that kind of thing.
Well I started it so I'd better contribute.
First ever camping trip with mum, dad, and family. Old canvas tent
(hired). Set off for Scotland from Manchester and arrived Arraca around
midnight. Set up tent by car headlights. Had long pole left over. Too
tired to worry about it. Next day Sunday so shot off to church in a
hurry. Came back to find a crowd gathered around our tent. It was a
sorry sight, sagging gravely in the middle. Yes, you guessed it, the
spare pole was the ridge pole! Red faces etc.
--
Paul McGuinness
Old November 12th 03, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Paul McGuinness wrote:
Well as winter in the old days used to be the time to huddle round the
fire and tell stories, has anyone got any good camping stories to
tell?

My friend told me this about when her parents took her camping for the 1st
time. They pitched up no problem in a huge field on their own (must have
been out of season but they'd begged to go). After being there a few hours
and feeling content with a 1st cup of tea on the road another family turned
up and pitched right next to them. As they piled out of their Mk3 Cortina
they noticed they looked a bit rough. When one of their little girls asked
her mum a question repeatedly the mother replied "if you don't shut up I'll
knife you". My friend's dad was letting down guy ropes and franticly pulling
out pegs almost as she finished the sentence and they went home.

Old November 12th 03, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen \(aka steford\)

I forgot it was "shut up or I'll f*****g knife you". Lovely!

Old November 12th 03, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ecky-h

"Stephen (aka steford)"
wrote in message ...
Paul McGuinness wrote:
[...]

Many years ago we (the wife, self, 2 kids) camped in a field in Wales,

with the camping and caravining club. Now we had a small camper van at that
time, we put up the loo tent at the front of the van, had tea, got the kids
ready for bed etc,. Next day we got the van ready and off to the beach we
went. Had a nice time there all day, then made our way back to the field.
as soon as we pulled in we could see a car right in front of our loo tent as
if they owned it, the ocupants of said car were sat in the front listing to
the radio. As we had been out all day every-one was dying to use the loo,
most embarasssing with them sat there.
As I said this car was parked right up close so that the front bumper was
almost touching the tent, they had a small pup tent at the back of their
car. I think they thought the loo tent was put up for general use, Don't
know if they had used it though, if so they didn't offer to empty it. We
were glad when the next day they up sticks and left, they never spoke a word
to us, mind you, with 2 small children we must have been very busy getting
the children fed and ready for bed etc. So is this the type of thing you wer
looking for?
ecky-h

Old November 17th 03, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Paul McGuinness wrote:

Well as winter in the old days used to be the time to huddle round the
fire and tell stories, has anyone got any good camping stories to tell?

At the Association of Lighweight Campers Easter Rally it was traditional
to have a home brew competition. One year, one of the younger members (
Nicnamed fartin Martin) arrived with a demijohn of e wine, and declared
that he was going to enter this. I'm not sure if the stuff had finished
fermenting but it certainly hadn't been racked and the lees were think
at the bottom. During the Saturday evenign festivities he ran out of
booze so started sampling the wine, and by the time it came for judging
he was ratted and had about 2 inches of greeny gold sludge in the bottom
of the demijohn. Needless to say he didn't win.

Much later that night we helped him back to his tent ( an expensive
Robert Saunders as I recall), opened the fly and poured him into it, put
him in the recovery postirion ad left him to sleep it off.
A fews hours later we heard him being violently ill, shouted to enquire
if he was ok and got grunts to the affirmative.

Next morning he was looking rough and wandering around his tent in
circles, when asked what the problem was he said that he remembered
being ill, remembered opening the zip of the tent to throw up but that
now he cound't find out where it had happened.

Remember we had put him to rest inside the flysheet?

He had woken up, went to throw up, opening the zip of the inner tent to
throw in what he thought was the fly covered area, but in fact he was
in that area and had opened the inner tent and thrown up there, all over
his bag ( down) , clothes and everything else...

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk

Old November 18th 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
steve Wilcox

A friend of mine was wild camping on the lakeland fells in a bivvy bag. He
was woken in the middle of the night by someone or something moving around
outside. It was a breezy night so the wind noise masked the noises, and he
couldn't decide what it was that was making them. Brave soul that he is he
wormed his way as deep as he could into his sleeping bag and pretended he
wasn't there . . . .

He must have eventually fallen asleep, and awoke at dawn. Unzipping his
Bivvy, he took a peek outside, and saw the contents of his rucksack spread
across most of the Lake District . . . . .

A wayward Herdwick ( sheep ) must have come across his camp in the night,
and decided to help itself to his food . . .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

Old November 19th 03, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mark Irvine

I've been camping with a group of people before. One of the group decided
to cook sausages, mmm much envy at the smell!!! Next morning all got up and
got on with things. Sausage man gets up and exclaims which *^&%(*^& has
nicked my sausages. Even now nobody owns up. As they were loosely wrapped
in the porch we think the local wildlife or a dog had a nice snack that
night.....

Not camping related, my girlfirends cat came home a couple of years ago with
a "present" for her. These things are usually still feathered or furred.
This one was neatly butchered and even cooked. Either a *very* clever cat,
or she had stolen the cooked joint of ham from somebodys work top!!!

Mark