Ideas on which tent for winter / summer backpacking

Old November 17th 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rich

Default Ideas on which tent for winter / summer backpacking

I'm planning to go winter backpacking thru the cairngorms in Feb and
need to get a new tent as my old one is too long in the tooth & a
little heavy. I'm looking for a tent which can stand upto winter
storms / snow can slide off and most importantly is light enough for
one person to carry (under 3 Kg).
The tricky part is that it also needs to be usable in summer with
enough room for two + backpacking gear & adequate ventilation / mosi
nets etc.
Any ideas / experiences?
A quick look thru the websites show up the North Face Westwind /
Hildeberg Nallo 2 / Crux X2 / Macpac Minaret as meeting these specs.
Would be interested in hearing from people who have used these tents
in anger + other options.
The Nallo 2 / Westwind gets good reviews, haven't heard much bout the
Crux / Minaret tho.
Old November 17th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian[_2_]

Rich,

I had a NF Westwind (bought about '98/'99 from memory). Although it was a
nice, light tent, I was very unimpreseed with the groundsheet. Basically,
on damp ground angy pressure (e.g from kneeling) forced loads of water up
through the groundsheet. I later heard that it was more suited to
'american' (i.e. drier) conditions. I ended up having to have a ground
sheet cut from an old Force 10 inside it to stop all my kit getting wet. :-(

They may have solved it now, but I got rid of it. I now have a Mountain
Hardware Trango 3.1 and am extremely pleased with it. The 3.1 may bit too
heavy for your needs but a Trango Nightview might be OK(?)

Good luck - I'll be climbing in Scotland in Feb, but will be staying in a
bunkhouse - not sure I can persuade the girlfriend to camp out!

Cheers,
Ade

om...

Old November 18th 03, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rich

Thanks for that, very useful information.
I've never heard of the groundsheet issue before or the Nightview.
I'll have a look at it.
Have fun.

Rich.
"Adrian" wrote in message ...
[...]

om...

Old November 19th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mark Irvine

I have had a look at the Macpac minaret and almost bought one 5 years ago
and earlier this year. In terms of the size and weight it is very
impressive, alas I did not buy is as another tent suited my current needs
better so cannot comment on usability. It has had some good reviews though.

Mark

om...

"Adrian" wrote in message

[...]

om...