Camping abroad

Old December 9th 03, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
MP

Default Camping abroad

Obviously at this time of year this camping NG goes very quiet so I thought
I would ask for peoples favourite destinations for camping abroad and why.
Although I have camped extensively in the UK I have never camped abroad but
have considered it many times. Any favourite country's regions towns or
villages particular campsites all would be of great interest.

Thanks MP

Old December 9th 03, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
linger

MP wrote:
Obviously at this time of year this camping NG goes very quiet so I
thought I would ask for peoples favourite destinations for camping
abroad and why. Although I have camped extensively in the UK I have
never camped abroad but have considered it many times. Any favourite
country's regions towns or villages particular campsites all would be
of great interest.

France, because it's relaxed, beautiful and the people are really friendly.
Normandy, Brittany and the area around Bordeaux has some fantastic
campsites.

--
Linger
CBR 900RR ( The future's bright, the future's orange)

Old December 9th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
[email protected]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:18:36 -0000, "MP" wrote:

Obviously at this time of year this camping NG goes very quiet so I thought
I would ask for peoples favourite destinations for camping abroad and why.
Although I have camped extensively in the UK I have never camped abroad but
have considered it many times. Any favourite country's regions towns or
villages particular campsites all would be of great interest.

Thanks MP

Hi

My wife and I camp in the US SouthWest Desert States (mainly Utah &
Arizona) as often as possible for several weeks at a time - usually
every other year or so when we have saved up the fares. However,
fares to the USA are not expensive, fuel and food are cheap, so apart
from the fare and car hire we can have a very inexpensive holiday -
actually it is getting even cheaper at the moment; the dollar is
dropping against the pound.

Reasons for going:-
Mind blowing scenery (think John Wayne westerns).
Good campsites (some even free of charge) in spectacular
locations.
Guaranteed good weather. (Err usually!! Last year we arrived in
Utah just as a year-long drought ended - we got twelve months rain the
first three nights; but at least it was warm rain).
Cheap food (we usually survive on huge barbecued steaks). All
campsites without exception are well equipped with built-in barbecues.
When we arrive, we just stock up on food and charcoal and barbecue our
own food most nights.
Cheap petrol (or rather gas!!) - 70p per gallon last year.
Generous baggage allowances on trans-Atlantic flights means we can
take all our camping gear with us.
Either doss around admiring the scenery or plenty of things to do;
Hiking, White-water rafting, Mountain Biking to name just three.
Surprisingly enough, the area is awash with fascinating historical
things to see, from old mining ghost towns to ancient Indian remains
(for example 3,000 year old rock carvings) - which the present
Americans tend to discard as not being "proper" history i.e. it is
Native-American.
Sometimes having to start our trip with a couple of days in Las
Vegas.
lack of crowds (except Las Vegas) and driving for hours without
seeing another car on the road - pure bliss.

Downside:-
Long flight to get there.
Lack of bars in Utah.
Starting off our trips with a couple of days in Las Vegas!!!

Most favourite places:-
Moab in Utah (especially Eddie McStiff's bar and microbrewery) one
of the few decent bars we found in Utah).
Propping up a bar in any small town in Arizona (or any bar
anywhere but Utah).
Canyonlands in Utah (Hiking in mind-blowing scenery).
Chaco Canyon in New Mexico (remains of a 1000 year old Anasazi
Indian settlement).
Driving the 600 mile length of Highway 50 in Nevada (claims to be
the loneliest road in America).
Las Vegas for a couple of days (Completely over the top - but a
convenient cheap place to start from; and the contrast with the
subsequent desert is amazing).
Trinity Ground Zero where the World's first Nuclear Bomb was
detonated in the middle of White Sands Missile Test site in New Mexico
(We happened to be near there on the only day in the year it is open
to the public. We had an armed military escort to the actual "crater"
where, rather astonishingly, we had a job getting near the actual
explosion memorial for coachloads of Japanese tourists all wanting
their photos taken standing by the memorial plaque - weird!!!)
Grand Canyon North Rim (the less popular side). We spent a few
nights in the campground there.
Campsite at "Island in the Sky", Canyonlands Utah (Apparently just
along from where "Thelma & Louise" drove off the edge - which was NOT
at the Grand Canyon as most people think).
Camping in Sequoia National Park, listening to wild bears
rummaging round the adjacent empty campsite a few feet away from our
tent in the early hours of the morning - at the time we had thought it
was campers arriving late!!!!!!!
Camping at Great Basin National Park (Nevada) and being "mugged"
at our picnic table by a herd of deer demanding food!!!
Camping at Joshua Tree National park (California) and being
"accosted" at our picnic table by an (apparently very rare) large
desert tortoise demanding to share our breakfast.

Least favourite places:-
Grand Canyon South Rim - too many tourists.
Monument Valley - John Wayne's favourite movie location (too many
tourists).
Las Vegas after a couple of days!!!!
The inside of an airplane for 13 hours.

Regards

KGB

My email address needs "modifying" before use.
Old December 9th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MP

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks a lot for the posting really interesting reading, great stuff.

Thanks again,

MP

Old December 10th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fudge

MP wrote in message
Obviously at this time of year this camping NG goes very quiet so I

thought
I would ask for peoples favourite destinations for camping abroad and why.
Although I have camped extensively in the UK I have never camped abroad

but
have considered it many times. Any favourite country's regions towns or
villages particular campsites all would be of great interest.

Thanks MP

It's a long way, but New Zealand has to be one of the best countries in the
world to camp in - nearly all sites have a kitchen for tent campers to use.
There's a wide variety of sites from five star chains to basic Department of
Conservation sites with just running water and a drop toilet, not to mention
the sites on hiking trails. The scenery is spectacular, the people
friendly, with great food and wine.

Fudge

Old December 12th 03, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David Chance

Agree, but would go further south - Provence - Uzes & Nimes - great
countryside and guaranteed sun and warmth. Can make it there in two
days from wet and miserable Manchester

David

Old December 16th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fudge

wrote in Hi

My wife and I camp in the US SouthWest Desert States (mainly Utah &
Arizona) as often as possible for several weeks at a time - usually
every other year or so when we have saved up the fares.

excellent post snipped to get to the point

Hi, thanks for posting the interesting article. What time of the year do
you normally go? We're keen on low-mid season travel, and wonder what these
areas are like in May.

Regards

Fudge