Camping in France

Old December 9th 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

Default Camping in France

Well, we always go camping in France, but for the last 3 years I have infallibly
picked campsites with no other English children in sight. If I do it again I'll
probably be lynched!

This year we fancy something like the Ardeche, we've already done the whole west
coast and feel it's time for something different.

The sort of campsite we like is relatively simple and laid back.

And I'd like one that isn't full of Eurocampers. Hmm... maybe that's where I'm going
wrong:-)

Any of you got any ideas?

tia
FF
p.s. Nothing wrong with Eurocamp, it's just not for me.
Old December 10th 03, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

FF wrote:

Well, we always go camping in France, but for the last 3 years I have infallibly
picked campsites with no other English children in sight. If I do it again I'll
probably be lynched!

This year we fancy something like the Ardeche, we've already done the whole west
coast and feel it's time for something different.

The sort of campsite we like is relatively simple and laid back.

And I'd like one that isn't full of Eurocampers. Hmm... maybe that's where I'm going
wrong:-)

Any of you got any ideas?

tia
FF
p.s. Nothing wrong with Eurocamp, it's just not for me.

You might be asking not quite the impossible but the contradictory.

Problem is people go to the Eurocamp sites because there's pools, swings
and slides etc. These things are great if you have children -
notwithstanding it being very busy. So a lot of families will go there.

Point the second. From the POV of someone going to camp from the UK,
they will either book through something like Select Sites (which has a
few non-Eurocamp sites), or use a guide like Alan Rogers (ditto), or
book through something like Eurocamp Independent (obviously Eurocamp
sites), or through one of the camping brochures (Eurocamp sites).

Those who do it off the top of their heads won't. We don't, though we do
a little bit, we look for the sites which have some facilities (usually
a pool and swings and slides) without being massive.

I suspect, especially if they are teenagers, you'll need to go somewhere
Eurocampy to find significant numbers of English Children. Try to
avoid the huge ones, some are pretty good. Look in Select Sites and Alan
Rogers for a slightly less PR description of the sites.

Why not encourage them to play with French children ? IME there is not
much of a language barrier (mind you mine are 9 and 6).

Old December 10th 03, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Bell

FF wrote:

And I'd like one that isn't full of Eurocampers. Hmm... maybe that's where
I'm going wrong:-)

Always loads of British kids, though. If you stick to sites that don't
let the Eurocampers dominate, then it's fine. The C&CC Euro book is
excellent, and not all sites are 500 pitches plus!

Stuart
--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old December 10th 03, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:57:21 +0000, Paul Robson
wrote:

FF wrote:

Well, we always go camping in France, but for the last 3 years I have infallibly
picked campsites with no other English children in sight. If I do it again I'll
probably be lynched!

This year we fancy something like the Ardeche, we've already done the whole west
coast and feel it's time for something different.

The sort of campsite we like is relatively simple and laid back.

And I'd like one that isn't full of Eurocampers. Hmm... maybe that's where I'm going
wrong:-)

Any of you got any ideas?

tia
FF
p.s. Nothing wrong with Eurocamp, it's just not for me.

You might be asking not quite the impossible but the contradictory.

I thought as much:-)

Problem is people go to the Eurocamp sites because there's pools, swings
and slides etc. These things are great if you have children -
notwithstanding it being very busy. So a lot of families will go there.

I don't want hordes of British kids, just a few. What I specifically want to avoid is
semi-feral children running wild while their parents get drunk.

Point the second. From the POV of someone going to camp from the UK,
they will either book through something like Select Sites (which has a
few non-Eurocamp sites), or use a guide like Alan Rogers (ditto), or
book through something like Eurocamp Independent (obviously Eurocamp
sites), or through one of the camping brochures (Eurocamp sites).

This is where the nub of the problem lies. For the past 25 years, if we've felt like
a holiday in France we've just packed the tent and headed off. I speak fluent French
and the husband can make himself understood, so we never book, just check in wherever
we are when we get sick of driving. In a couple of years the short one will not have
a problem either.

Those who do it off the top of their heads won't. We don't, though we do
a little bit, we look for the sites which have some facilities (usually
a pool and swings and slides) without being massive.

Mmmm... that's about what we do. We've been concentrating on the Atlantic coast for
the last couple of years (bodyboarding etc) so a pool has not been absolutely
necessary. But apart from that....

I suspect, especially if they are teenagers, you'll need to go somewhere
Eurocampy to find significant numbers of English Children.

We only need a few. A solution might be to take a friend with us, but they're still a
bit young for that.
Try to
avoid the huge ones, some are pretty good. Look in Select Sites and Alan
Rogers for a slightly less PR description of the sites.

I will, thanks!

Why not encourage them to play with French children ? IME there is not
much of a language barrier (mind you mine are 9 and 6).

We do! And his French is coming along fine (he's 10). We had great fun this year as
he talks in his sleep and we could hear him muttering "non, non, je suis anglais". It
wasn't quite as much fun when he came back to the tent asking what a rosbif was:-(
He's a communicator though, and with the best will in the world, it will be a few
years before he can sit around with "les gars" chatting about "le foot" and "les
nanas".

Thanks for your advice though. I'll take it on board and report back after our next
trip:-)

FF
Old December 12th 03, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
lalogne

Hello Great Britain

you're welcome in lamastre green ardeche south France

http://www.lamastre.com

camping de Retourtour

Nice to see you
Old December 12th 03, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David Chance

Agree with Stuart - we found a site in the Ardesh through the C&CC that
was small, but catered for my two little ones. Quiet with a good mix of
foreign (!) nationals.

One to to watch is my green rule - the greener it is the wetter it will
be - even during France's hottest year we had several days of rain (due
to the hills). Driving home with a wet tent is not fun!

David

Old December 12th 03, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
AndyP

"FF" wrote in message
Well, we always go camping in France, but for the last 3 years I have

infallibly
picked campsites with no other English children in sight. If I do it again

I'll
probably be lynched!

This year we fancy something like the Ardeche, we've already done the

whole west
coast and feel it's time for something different.

The sort of campsite we like is relatively simple and laid back.

And I'd like one that isn't full of Eurocampers. Hmm... maybe that's where

I'm going
wrong:-)

Any of you got any ideas?

In my opinion when you move away from the coastal areas you (generally) get
a different type of camper and campsite, regardless of whether Eurocamp have
a base there or not.

Old December 15th 03, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:20:41 +0000, David Chance
wrote:
Agree with Stuart - we found a site in the Ardesh through the C&CC that
was small, but catered for my two little ones. Quiet with a good mix of
foreign (!) nationals.

One to to watch is my green rule - the greener it is the wetter it will
be - even during France's hottest year we had several days of rain (due
to the hills). Driving home with a wet tent is not fun!

I've never taken my tent outside the UK... in fact, I've never driven in
(on?) mainland Europe but would be interested in camping in a warm
French wine region. What are the sites there like? We tend to stick to
Forestry Commision sites here in the UK, we like the open nature of the
sites and the scattering of trees. Whenever I've seen French campsites
in brochures they seem to be regimented and with little shade, are there
many like the New Forest or Loch Lomond sites?

Thanks for your comments.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old February 5th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
jean-claude

Hi, holydays makers,

Just have a look at what you call a "real campsite"
www.lagranelle.com
a modest campsite where children are kings

If a 1,6 Mo file don't afraid you, ask me a guided visit of our area.

See you soon,

--

@+

Jean-Claude

\\\|///
\\ - - //
( @ @ )
-oOOo--(_)-oOOo- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
camping le rocher de la Granelle
24260 LE BUGUE
téléphone 05 53 07 24 32
portable 06 20 53 66 81
TVA : FR 28 647 280 197
un clic ci-dessous et vous êtes déjà en vacances
www.lagranelle.com
( )
ooooO )
( ) (_/
\
\_)
Le bonheur est une denree merveilleuse, plus on en donne, plus on en a.
(Gurchod Suzanne)
"Paul Robson" a écrit dans
le message de ...