Continental Tents - What Are They Called ?

Old December 12th 03, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave B[_2_]

Default Continental Tents - What Are They Called ?

Guys,

Expanding on MP's post below I also have camped extensively in the UK
for many years but not yet abroad. I have often fancied combining a
camping trip to the near continent with the buying of a new tent
especially one of the tents you occasionally see in the UK used by
people with Dutch, German or French car registrations.

The type of tent ........
looks as if made from sustantial proofed cotton rather than nylon; often
in a combination of colours like light tan, cream, dull orange; the
style is a sort of conbination of a ridge tent and circus top (in
miniture); Lots of guys; the side walls curve out at the bottom to to an
almost horizontal line (about 10 inches off the ground) for rain run-off
and with a short vertical skirt hanging below this; Inside the sleeping
compartments seem to be of the traditional ridge tent shape; there also
seems to be many different types of add-ons for porches etc to the basic
shape.

Don't know if I've explained this properly but if anyone has one of
these or any details of what these tents are called and where you can
buy one I would be greatful for the info. They always seem to be far
more substantial that ours. Weight is not a consideration for me.

TIA, Dave B

--
To email, first remove 'yourpants' if you get my drift

Old December 12th 03, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy R

"Dave B" wrote in message
[...]

Where we go in France has mainly Dutch visitors and they almost exclusively
have these type of tents so I guess a search of Dutch camping shops/websites
is a good place to start.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 12th 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:05:29 +0000, Dave B
wrote:
[...]

[snip]

I can't help but am interested too. Some I've seen look more suited to
safari than typical British weather but I have also seen some really
nice looking tents that incorporate design elements that make me think
"what a good idea, why doesn't my tent do that". I'd like to find out
more about those.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old December 12th 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fudge

[email protected] wrote in message
Its not of the sort you describe but when I was in Luxembourg last year I

bought
a Vaude. The outer is supported by elastic cords that link over an

external,
tubular aluminium, 'A' frame and ridge. It sleeps 2 easily and takes

literally
3 or 4 minutes to erect.

Our backpacking tent is a Vaude Hogan which we have been very happy with.
Field and Trek sell them: http://tinyurl.com/z007

Fudge

Old December 13th 03, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

Is it anything like this?

http://www.3leggedcross.co.uk/camping/pyramide.html

Jaybee

Old December 13th 03, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
drew

Dave B wrote:
[...]

Are these they?

http://www.obelink.nl/ws/product_ove...id=21&pagina=1

Drew

Old December 20th 03, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Frank[_2_]

I hope I can help you.
I have some experience with Dutch tents (maybe because I am Dutch...)
The best traditionally "dutch" tents are made by De Waard
(www.dewaardtenten.nl) They are made of have duty cotton in a very good
quality and you can see them on many French campings as rental tents.
I own a tent made by Holtkamper, they make very good (but expensive)
tent-trailers and also family tents which are a bit less traditionallly then
de Waard. ( www.holtkamper.nl ). The tent I use for famlily camping is the
Holtkamper Utopia XL, which is made of natuaral collor cotton, which
reflects hot sunlight.
The holtkamper en de Waard web-sites are mainly dutch, but if you need more
information please let me know.
The showroom of Holtkamper is in Bunnik near Utrecht in the middle of the
Netherlands. You can visit de Waard in Heerde, about half an hour from
Utrecht.

Frank.

"Dave B" schreef in bericht

Old December 23rd 03, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave B[_3_]

Dave B wrote:

Lots of words asking for advice on Continental style tents:

Sorry for not getting back sooner ...... bit of PC trouble this end :-(

Thanks for all your replies ...... knew you would come up trumps :-)
Particularly the range shown in Frank's first link, these are the sort
of tents I am looking for. As the sprogs are now off doing their own
thing (we were lucky that well into their late teens they still wanted
to come camping & walking with the old folk ) we are now getting ready
for the Derby & Joan stage of our camping & walking trips so I'm looking
for something a little more robust and spacious for two people.

Merry Christmas, Dave B.
--
To email, first remove 'yourpants' if you get my drift