Camping Ovens

Old December 20th 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Parahandy

Default Camping Ovens

Remember reading a thread here a couple of weeks ago regarding small ovens
suitable for camping ie who makes them, most of the manufacturers seemed to
be in the US. Is there anywhere in the UK that imports these or is their a
UK company that manufactures these.?
Info on dealers etc appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

Old December 21st 03, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

Is there anywhere in the UK that imports these or is their a
UK company that manufactures these.?

It was me who asked the question.

There were no current European manufacturers of this sort of oven I could
find.

Coleman make a rather nice oven (which folds flat) in the US;

http://www.escapeoutdoors.com/page/5010c700.htm

But they wont import them into the UK, and I tried a few dealers in the US
and they would not ship them either.

3 or 4 of the Coleman ovens crop up each week on ebay, good condition and
unused ones seem to go for around 10-20.

There is one on offer from someone in Germany at the moment;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...824&category=4
9762&rd=1

I messaged the seller twice about shipping charges to the UK but got no
reply.

Stuart.

Old December 21st 03, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

think some camping retailer would see an opportunity in the
market here

Dunno, but if Coleman wont import them, perhaps they think the market is
so small that it aint worth the bother.

Stuart.
Old December 21st 03, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

"Stuart Robinson" wrote in message
. uk...
think some camping retailer would see an opportunity in the
market here

Dunno, but if Coleman wont import them, perhaps they think the market is
so small that it aint worth the bother.

Stuart.

That is often the trouble for the retailer - finding a supplier of these
things. At work we get loads of enquiries about Coleman products from the
USA, but they won't import them over here.

Jaybee

Old December 21st 03, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

At work we get loads of enquiries about Coleman products from the
USA, but they won't import them over here.

Strange is it not, they clearly have the export mechanisms and
distribution systems in place (in the UK) so you would think they would
want to export as much stuff as they could sell.

The market for ovens may not be that big, but then that might be because
so few people in the UK are aware these things exist.

They are not that expensive, 30 or so, and you would have thought the
average camping shop browser would be inclined to try them.

But Coleman are an odd company, the Coleman fuel they sell is priced so
ridiculously expensive (circa 60 a gallon) that I suspect they sell very
little. In the US its about 3.50 a gallon.

Stuart.
Old December 21st 03, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

Strange is it not, they clearly have the export mechanisms and
distribution systems in place (in the UK) so you would think they would
want to export as much stuff as they could sell.

The market for ovens may not be that big, but then that might be because
so few people in the UK are aware these things exist.

They are not that expensive, 30 or so, and you would have thought the
average camping shop browser would be inclined to try them.

But Coleman are an odd company, the Coleman fuel they sell is priced so
ridiculously expensive (circa 60 a gallon) that I suspect they sell very
little. In the US its about 3.50 a gallon.

Stuart.

It is strange Stuart. They are importing stuff anyway as a lot of the
Coleman stuff we sell comes from the states, so why not add some more of the
range? The Coleman fuel is ridiculously expensive, and not always easy to
get hold of either. They import that from the States, but not in great
quantities I believe.

Often in the season, we get offers from Coleman of stuff that was destined
for the European market but either hasn't sold or they have bought too much.

Next season, they are making life a lot harder for the smaller outlets who
sell small quantities of Coleman and Camping Gaz appliances - the small
retailers are going to have to pay a lot more for their goods next year.

Jaybee

Old December 22nd 03, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

They import that from the States, but not in great
quantities I believe.

Indeed, not difficult to understand why.

I have the feeling that if Coleman fuel were sold at non-exorbitant
prices, then the Stoves would be far more popular, and if the stoves were
more popular they would sell a lot more fuel.

Stuart.
Old December 25th 03, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
HN

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:20:10 -0000, "JayBee"
wrote:

It is strange Stuart. They are importing stuff anyway as a lot of the
Coleman stuff we sell comes from the states, so why not add some more of the
range? The Coleman fuel is ridiculously expensive, and not always easy to
get hold of either. They import that from the States, but not in great
quantities I believe.

Often in the season, we get offers from Coleman of stuff that was destined
for the European market but either hasn't sold or they have bought too much.

Next season, they are making life a lot harder for the smaller outlets who
sell small quantities of Coleman and Camping Gaz appliances - the small
retailers are going to have to pay a lot more for their goods next year.

Jaybee

They used to import them years ago though, didn't they?

I have seen, and may still have catalogues with them listed!

You could always make a stove top oven from a cardboard box and tin
foil like the scouts do!

Neil

Old December 25th 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
occ[_2_]

wrote:

It is strange Stuart. They are importing stuff anyway as a lot of the
Coleman stuff we sell comes from the states, so why not add some more of the

They used to import them years ago though, didn't they?

I have seen, and may still have catalogues with them listed!

You could always make a stove top oven from a cardboard box and tin
foil like the scouts do!

Hi

Why not use a biscuit tin?

Thank you