Emergency transmission equipment?

Old January 3rd 04, 03:20 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.climbing
[H]omer

Default Emergency transmission equipment?

I'm starting to get back into hill climbing and backpacking (in the wilds
of Scotland), and although I usually go with friends there are
times (mainly due to work) when they can't make it, and I end up going
alone.

I always take the mobile and GPS with me, but I'd prefer something more
reliable/useful in case of emergencies.

I don't have a HAM radio licence, so I'd like to know what my options are
with regards an emergency transmitter or transceiver.

What equipment would I need, and where can I buy it in the UK?

I seem to remember reading about emergency transmitters that emit a tone,
which is monitored by mountain rescue/coastguard. Is there such a device,
and does it also allow the emergency services to triangulate your position?

Any advice gratefully received,

-
[H]omer
Old January 3rd 04, 03:46 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Terry[_2_]

"[H]omer" wrote in message
news
I'm starting to get back into hill climbing and backpacking (in the wilds
of Scotland), and although I usually go with friends there are
times (mainly due to work) when they can't make it, and I end up going
alone.
I always take the mobile and GPS with me, but I'd prefer something more
reliable/useful in case of emergencies.

Ericsson r290 globalstar and a Vodafone contract
http://www.r290.net

If you lose Voda GSM then you roam on globalstar, about a quid a min.
Sorted

Steve Terry

Old January 3rd 04, 04:21 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.camping
[H]omer

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:49:33 +0000, Steve Terry wrote:

"[H]omer" wrote in message
news
I'm starting to get back into hill climbing and backpacking (in the
wilds of Scotland), and although I usually go with friends there are
times (mainly due to work) when they can't make it, and I end up going
alone.

Ericsson r290 globalstar and a Vodafone contract http://www.r290.net

If you lose Voda GSM then you roam on globalstar, about a quid a min.
Sorted

Nice phone but too much maintenance.

After a bit of a runaround with Google, I think I've got what I'm looking
for. It's called a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) and there's a handheld
model by McMurdo called the FastFind (or the more expensive FastFind Plus).

A bit expensive, but no running contract or bills to pay, and anyway -
what price safety? ... as they say.

Another gizmo for the rucksack

-
[H]omer

Old January 3rd 04, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
[H]omer

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 07:39:52 +0000, Walt Davidson wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:21:36 +0000, "[H]omer" wrote:

After a bit of a runaround with Google, I think I've got what I'm looking
for. It's called a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) and there's a handheld
model by McMurdo called the FastFind (or the more expensive FastFind
Plus).

A bit expensive, but no running contract or bills to pay, and anyway -
what price safety? ... as they say.

That's all very well ... so long as someone within range is listening for
it! Are you sure they would be?

It's satellite based, so range is not an issue.

According to the literature, it's hooked into the COSPAS SARSAT, which is
monitored 24/7 by coastguard, mountain rescue and other services.

The terrestrial beacon is a 406 transmitter with a 121.5 homing frequency.
Being Sat based, it's also therefore global, handy for foreign expeditions
- provided the country in question has rescue services of some kind, that
is.

It's also absolutely tiny, about the size of a cellphone, just right for
my alpine sack.

Old January 3rd 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Andrew McGleish

"[H]omer" wrote in message
news
[...]

Might be worth checking if they are licensed for use in the UK, IIRC
they have only just been licensed for use in the US, check
www.equipped.com I've added in uk.rec.walking where there might also
be people who have more knoledge than I do about this.
Cheers
Andrew

Old January 3rd 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Brian Potter

"[H]omer" wrote in
news
Nice phone but too much maintenance.

It's a phone - what's difficult about that? Damn good idea too!

After a bit of a runaround with Google, I think I've got what I'm
looking for. It's called a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) and there's a
handheld model by McMurdo called the FastFind (or the more expensive
FastFind Plus).

A bit expensive, but no running contract or bills to pay, and anyway -
what price safety? ... as they say.

Yes - great idea but don't mess with it when at home to check if it still
works - they do and I don't think mountain rescue or the local plod fancy a
trip to the middle of somewhere because one was going off.

Old January 3rd 04, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
kqr

In article , wrote
[...]

Caution 121.5 is VHF and subject to the propogation properties of that
band [mountains] get one that will also work on 253 Mhz [UHF] which is
also International Distress and permanently monitored by the D&D Cell
at Drayton as well as every aircraft civil and mil. Be double sure
that it does not get set off by accident.

Both 121.5 & 253 are 24hrs a day monitored by Drayton Center who have
access to all radar and RX/TX facillities country wide. Both freqs are
homeable. All Military/Civil Airfields monitor as well.

121.5 for USA