Campsites Tarbet Loch Fyne Scotland

Old January 15th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Parahandy

Default Campsites Tarbet Loch Fyne Scotland

Can anyone tell me are there any campsites near Tarbet on the shores of Loch
Fyne? If not at Tarbet the nearest location?
Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks

Old January 16th 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C[_2_]

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:15:12 -0000, Parahandy
wrote:
Can anyone tell me are there any campsites near Tarbet on the shores of Loch
Fyne? If not at Tarbet the nearest location?
Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks

Unless there is more than one Tarbet it's on the shores of Loch Lomond.
Is Fyne tidal? I know if you go 'round the back' of Tarbet, up through
the hills and down the other side there is a large expanse of water (it
looked tidal to me), maybe that is Fyne? .... [fx: rummage] ... one
atlas, though old, has Tarbet three times, once as I mentioned, once on
the shores of loch Nevis and the third is right up in the highlands on
the west coast.

I know the Forrestry Commision has a site on the banks of Lomond, I'll
get to stay there one day.

Anyway, when you work out where it is you want to stay let us know and
we'll try again

BTW, that tidal stretch of water to which I refered eralier is Loch Long
before a Scotsman jumps up and tries educate this sassenach (not that I
don't have a great deal of respect for brainy scots - Macadam, Napier,
Baird, Bell, Watt, Dunlop etc, what would we do without them?).

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old January 16th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

wrote:
Can anyone tell me are there any campsites near Tarbet on the shores of Loch
Fyne? If not at Tarbet the nearest location?
Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks

Unless there is more than one Tarbet it's on the shores of Loch Lomond.
Is Fyne tidal? I know if you go 'round the back' of Tarbet, up through
the hills and down the other side there is a large expanse of water (it
looked tidal to me), maybe that is Fyne? .... [fx: rummage] ... one
atlas, though old, has Tarbet three times, once as I mentioned, once on
the shores of loch Nevis and the third is right up in the highlands on
the west coast.

Looking closer you will find dozens of places called Tarbet. Gelic place names
tend to be descriptive so wherever you get a feature it lends its name to the
place.

tairbeart (tarbet) - portage, isthmus
Old January 16th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Parahandy

Thanks
It's the Tarbet on the shores of Loch Fyne South of Invarary, appreciate
its a popular name in Scotland.

Old January 16th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Parahandy

Default Campsites near Tarbert Loch Fyne Scotland

Apologies for the confusion, now realise the place is spelt Tarbert and it
is the one of the shores of Loch Fyne. So looking for campsites in this
location. Noted theres one at West Loch Tarbert anyone been there etc?

Old January 18th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Laycock[_2_]

A quick look on Anquet for camping symbols gave disappointing results. The
nearest I could find was on the A83 about 3.5km south of Tarbert (NR 843
662)

There was also a site on the west coast just north of a place called
Kilberry Head (NR 707 654).

Never been down that way so can't comment other than they are on the map!!

Cheers

Andy

Old January 19th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I stand corrected, my atlas is obviously somewhat lacking... it lacks
the M25 for a start...

Still, I can recommend a nice B&B in Tarbet on Lomond; nice view of Ben
Lomond from the rooms at the front. I have to say, outside the Canadian
Rockies it's one of my favourite places for peace and beauty... Best
part of UK if you ask me (ooops... best to get me head down now).

--
Justin C, by the sea.