Backpack Camping

Old January 21st 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Masklin GT

Default Backpack Camping

Hi All

I have been "Car Camping" on and off for the last few years. I have
always enjoyed walking at school but never really took off and "took
to the hills" like I wished. Now my girlfriend said she would like to
get into walking a lot more. So this year we have decided to ditch
the car and do some traditional camping so to speak. Combined with
this a LOT of walking too.

At the moment I have a two man tent which is quite light and im sure
can easily be broke down so 2 people can carry it.

When we go car camping we normally carry everything including the
kitchen sink!!! Obviously I cant do this with the camping I want to
do. I have a small camping gas stove and a small cook set that are
all OK.

I shall be posting this on the uk.rec.walking also so please no need
to answer twice
The questions I have for people are the following:-

1) Rucksack Reccomendations - For a weeks Camp & Day pack. (Although
we are planning a 2 week one next year, Coast to coast!!)

2) Sleeping mat,bag etc (Camping March - Late Oct)

3) Cooking utensials

4) Map, compass. What scale maps do I need?

5) Day Pack contents?

6) Boot reccomendations

Thanks all help is appreciated.
Old January 22nd 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French[_2_]

In message , Masklin GT
writes

--
Chris French

Old January 23rd 04, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

With regard a cooker, I would not use a gas stove, they are expensive to run
and loose performance when the weather is cold. I would reccomend a
Trangia Storm cooker, which includes its own cookset. They run off meths,
have no moving parts to break, and the cookset is fantastic for two (and
includes a small kettle even). If you carry a 500ml bottle of meths, you
could cook for days at a cost of 1.50, as opposed to gas cartridges which
burn for a couple of hours and cost about 1.50 each!

rik

om...

Old January 27th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Masklin GT

Yeh, great advice thanks

I have put the stove at the top of my list

Thanks again

Old January 27th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"Masklin GT" wrote in message
om...
Yeh, great advice thanks

I have put the stove at the top of my list

Thanks again

just be aware that meths MAY not be as easily obtainable as other fuels -
depending on where you are going.