Pro Action one Man tent

Old January 25th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Craven

Default Pro Action one Man tent

Well, I bought a one man Pro Action tent from Argos over xmas 29.99 and
what a bargain!

Did a bit of wild camping on the Snowdonia park this weekend and it
perfromed really well, hail storm, rain and a little bit of sun this
morning! Would reccomend it to anyone, packs down small as well.

Great fun!

Old January 26th 04, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"Martin Craven" wrote in message
Well, I bought a one man Pro Action tent from Argos over xmas 29.99 and
what a bargain!

Did a bit of wild camping on the Snowdonia park this weekend and it
perfromed really well, hail storm, rain and a little bit of sun this
morning! Would reccomend it to anyone, packs down small as well.

Great fun!

Yes but how MANY weekends like that will it actually last before it starts
deteriorating badly?

Old January 26th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
"Rifleman" writes:

"Martin Craven" wrote in message
Well, I bought a one man Pro Action tent from Argos over xmas 29.99 and
what a bargain!

Did a bit of wild camping on the Snowdonia park this weekend and it
perfromed really well, hail storm, rain and a little bit of sun this
morning! Would reccomend it to anyone, packs down small as well.

Great fun!

Yes but how MANY weekends like that will it actually last before it

starts
deteriorating badly?

Several folk in uk.rec.walking have one and are well pleased with the
quality. One or two have suggested small improvements which they've
carried out. The general mood is one of enthusiasm. They've formed a
fan club. Google for "argos tent".

I've got one, but refrain from comment because I've only pitched it in
the garden so far.

My point was, I would not expect a tent at that price to stand up to a lot
of rough weather for more than two seasons without deteriorating rapidly. It
can't be physically possible to produce a tent for 29.99 that will last any
length of time at all. If the MANUFACTURER is making any sort of profit on
it at all, I would very much like to know how! (Unless Argos is buying them
in at WELL below cost price). You couldn't even buy the materials in this
country at that price to make a similar tent!

Example: Back in the late 80's we bought a Lichfield Challenger 5 for 70 to
camp in the North of Scotland. I also bought angle poles for it for 25. We
had 72 hours of Force 9 gales during which many far more expensive tents
were blown down. However, the next season, the groundsheet seams started to
come apart in the corner, the flysheet sagged far too much when wet, the
porch didn't form a roof properly, etc etc.

I would be VERY dubious at "wild camping" in a 29.99 tent. Tents are like
cycles, you pay more for less!

Old January 28th 04, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Craven

"Rifleman" writes:

[...]

At 29.99 if it lasts a season, it's worth it! How long they last can
depend on how you look after your kit!

I would love to be able to spend a fortune on gucci kit, but alas I can't.
Nevertheless I still think they are way underpriced for what you get.

As for being VERY dubious about "wild camping" in such a cheap tent, perhaps
it's because us Welsh moutain men are made of harder stuff! LOL

Old January 28th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"Martin Craven" wrote in message

As for being VERY dubious about "wild camping" in such a cheap tent,

perhaps
it's because us Welsh moutain men are made of harder stuff! LOL

So you would relish the tent blown down, poles broken etc up in the Carnedds
at two o'clock in the morning with the rain sheeting in on a force 9 gale?

I don't think so!

Old January 28th 04, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:13:35 -0000, "Rifleman"
wrote:

"Martin Craven" wrote in message

As for being VERY dubious about "wild camping" in such a cheap tent,

perhaps
it's because us Welsh moutain men are made of harder stuff! LOL

So you would relish the tent blown down, poles broken etc up in the

Carnedds
at two o'clock in the morning with the rain sheeting in on a force 9

gale?

He'd be snuggled up to a flock of sheep.

No, there aren't any fences up there to stick their heads through.

Old January 28th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Craven

"Rifleman" wrote in message
"Martin Craven" wrote in message

As for being VERY dubious about "wild camping" in such a cheap tent,

perhaps
it's because us Welsh moutain men are made of harder stuff! LOL

So you would relish the tent blown down, poles broken etc up in the

Carnedds
at two o'clock in the morning with the rain sheeting in on a force 9 gale?

I don't think so!

Wot's with the attitude! Lighten up!