Oil Spillage

Old January 27th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

Default Oil Spillage

Hi... after a successful weekend camping just gone, i arrived home to find
that my cooking oil bottle top had popped off (stupid design!!!) and emptied
it contents all ove my car boot and flysheet!!!

Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to remove the oil from the
flysheet??? It is polyuerthane proofed polyester, the tent is in otherwise
perfect condition... also, can anyone suggest the best thing to remove
cooking oil from the carpet in the boot... i wouldn't normally bother, but
the car is only 5 weeks old!!!!!!!!!!

Old January 27th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:40:06 GMT, Roebear wrote:

Hi... after a successful weekend camping just gone, i arrived home to find
that my cooking oil bottle top had popped off (stupid design!!!) and emptied
it contents all ove my car boot and flysheet!!!

Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to remove the oil from the
flysheet??? It is polyuerthane proofed polyester, the tent is in otherwise
perfect condition... also, can anyone suggest the best thing to remove
cooking oil from the carpet in the boot... i wouldn't normally bother, but
the car is only 5 weeks old!!!!!!!!!!

1] Go out and buy a screw-top (Nalgene or similar) bottle for your oil. Then
keep it in the food box, I've got a plastic storage crate that keeps any
potential gooey bitty mess in one place.

2] After you have wiped the worst off, be very careful about what you wash your
flysheet in. Terra Nova tent wash might help. As long as it isn't sticky just
think of it as extra proofing :-)

3] Cat litter is supposed to be good at absorbing oil. Work some into the carpet
(making an even bigger mess) then hoover it out. Later on when it gets warm
(sometime around June?) get the car valleted. If you do it now it won't dry out
and you'll get condesation on the inside of your windows.

Old January 27th 04, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paddy

In message , Roebear
writes
Hi... after a successful weekend camping just gone, i arrived home to find
that my cooking oil bottle top had popped off (stupid design!!!) and emptied
it contents all ove my car boot and flysheet!!!

Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to remove the oil from the
flysheet??? It is polyuerthane proofed polyester, the tent is in otherwise
perfect condition... also, can anyone suggest the best thing to remove
cooking oil from the carpet in the boot... i wouldn't normally bother, but
the car is only 5 weeks old!!!!!!!!!!

For the carpet household salt absorbs oil quite nicely - lots of it.
Then brush or shake off. If necessary repeat until clean. Hope this
helps.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid