My new tent

Old February 10th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
SimonW

Default My new tent

Hi All,

After a successful first time camping trip last year using a small
proaction 4 man tent from Argos, we decided to invest in a bigger
tent.

We bought a 6 man CampuS Seattle tent, which I believe are owned by
Eurotech, who also own Kyham.

This Tent is an 'Inner erected first' tent.

Has anyone had experience of this tent ?

The Idea of having this tent was the inner was very big so we would be
nice and dry and can leave all the wet stuff in the porches and the
central living area was also in the inner, another plus.

Also as the bedrooms are divided by cotton sheets it wouldn't be a
problem taking one divider down and placing the air bed in the other
bedroom for more space if we need it and the cooking could be done in
the porch areas.

It wasn't until after a few days it dawned on me, what if it rains
whilst putting up the tent! The inner is mostly made of cotton, how
long would this normally take to dry if it bucketed down?

I was also wondering what are the other advantages to an 'Inner
erected first' tent?

I read somewhere they are supposed to be better in windy conditions is
this true?

Of course now I have it I am itching to put it up now to 'test' it and
I hate having to wait for the better weather to arrive.

You can see a picture of it on

http://www.campusoutdoor.com/family.html

It is the third tent down.

Simon.

Old February 10th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:49:58 +0000, SimonW
wrote:

It wasn't until after a few days it dawned on me, what if it rains
whilst putting up the tent! The inner is mostly made of cotton, how
long would this normally take to dry if it bucketed down?

I haven't got that specific tent but I have an "inner-first" tent with
the inner being made of cotton and can't say it is a problem really.
The cotton takes a while to get really soaked and it isn't too bad -
just be swift if it is really stormy, and put your camping stove on
maybe if it gets really bad (I know it is a wet heat but it still
seems to help)

I was also wondering what are the other advantages to an 'Inner
erected first' tent?

I read somewhere they are supposed to be better in windy conditions is
this true?

They seem more stable in general, yes - think I agree there.
Old February 10th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

wrote:

It wasn't until after a few days it dawned on me, what if it rains
whilst putting up the tent! The inner is mostly made of cotton, how
long would this normally take to dry if it bucketed down?

I haven't got that specific tent but I have an "inner-first" tent with
the inner being made of cotton and can't say it is a problem really.
The cotton takes a while to get really soaked and it isn't too bad -
just be swift if it is really stormy, and put your camping stove on
maybe if it gets really bad (I know it is a wet heat but it still
seems to help)

I was also wondering what are the other advantages to an 'Inner
erected first' tent?

I read somewhere they are supposed to be better in windy conditions is
this true?

They seem more stable in general, yes - think I agree there.

The design of the tent has some advantages....very similar to the Sunncamp I
used to have. The inner living area means that it stays warm in cooler
conditions as you zip up and are enclosed.
The disadvantage I found was more about the usage I put it to! I bought a
stronger tent as I found that the long fibreglass poles were not as strong
or rigid as aluminium.

I did not get wet in it though despite some vicious testing so I don't think
you will need to worry too much...just practice getting it pitched as
quickly as possible.

Julie

Old February 11th 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

SimonW wrote:

I was also wondering what are the other advantages to an 'Inner
erected first' tent?

Cheaper to make

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk
Old February 11th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"marc" wrote in message
. co.uk...
SimonW wrote:

I was also wondering what are the other advantages to an 'Inner
erected first' tent?

Cheaper to make

Interestingly, some of the REALLY REALLY expensive high altitude mountain
tents are also inner pitch first......

Old February 11th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:53:36 -0000, "Rifleman"
wrote:

"marc" wrote in message
.co.uk...
SimonW wrote:

I was also wondering what are the other advantages to an 'Inner
erected first' tent?

Cheaper to make

Interestingly, some of the REALLY REALLY expensive high altitude mountain
tents are also inner pitch first......

Perhaps they have a REALLY REALLY high profit margin :-)
Old February 11th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

wrote:
Hi All,

After a successful first time camping trip last year using a small
proaction 4 man tent from Argos, we decided to invest in a bigger
tent.

We bought a 6 man CampuS Seattle tent, which I believe are owned by
Eurotech, who also own Kyham.

This Tent is an 'Inner erected first' tent.

Has anyone had experience of this tent ?

[snip]

Our last tent was an 'inner-first'. We got quite proficient at putting
it up, though I have to say they aren't as easy to put up as one which
you erect before suspending the inner inside - we found access to
attachment method was very awkward, there was a lot of leaning over the
inner with no support... much teetering and trying not to fall onto the
inner!

Speed increases with practice and we found we could have the outer over
the inner within a few minutes of opening the inner out (IYSWIM). In
poor weather we keep the inner rolled up until the fibreglass spars are
assembled and ready to thread, then unroll the tent, errect and cover it.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old February 11th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
SimonW

wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot guys for all your replies, I can't wait to pratice
putting it up, just hope the weather gets better soon!

Simon.

Old February 12th 04, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Rifleman wrote:

I was also wondering what are the other advantages to an 'Inner
erected first' tent?

Cheaper to make

Interestingly, some of the REALLY REALLY expensive high altitude mountain
tents are also inner pitch first......

But then the criteria is for stability.