Tent recommendation please

Old February 11th 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
allnewtonyg

Default Tent recommendation please

Hi,

I've been looking for a 4/6 person tent on the web and to be honest I'm
overwhelmed by the choice.

Can anybody recommend a good web site for reviews of tents or even a tent
for a first time camper.

My price range is up to 150.

thanks in advance

Old February 11th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
SimonW

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:57:52 -0000, "allnewtonyg"
wrote:

Hi,

I've been looking for a 4/6 person tent on the web and to be honest I'm
overwhelmed by the choice.

Can anybody recommend a good web site for reviews of tents or even a tent
for a first time camper.

My price range is up to 150.

thanks in advance

I was a first time camper to last year, so I guess it makes me a
second time camper this year :-)

What we did last year was buy a small cheap tent, to see if we liked
it first because I didn't want to spend a lot of money to find out we
didn't. As we loved it I bought a better tent this year.

I wouldn't recommend a specific tent because

a: I am not that experienced to tell you
b: A lot is down to personal choice.

But if you look on any book/website about the subjects of tents they
all seem to say dome or geodesic type tents are the best ones to go
for as they stand up to wind really well and are easier to put up, and
with your budget it would also seem to fit into that category.

It is difficult to look for tents from a catalogue or website as you
can't really tell what they are like until you put them up.

If there is a tent shop near you with a big showroom I would recommend
going there and having a look at all the tents and the different
layouts, to see if there is a 'type' of tent that suits you and take
all the other people that will sleep in it to get a feel what the
bedrooms are like etc.

Simon

P.S
Also this time of the year you may pickup a 2003 model bargain tent.

Old February 12th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

wrote:
Hi,

I've been looking for a 4/6 person tent on the web and to be honest I'm
overwhelmed by the choice.

Can anybody recommend a good web site for reviews of tents or even a tent
for a first time camper.

My price range is up to 150.

thanks in advance

Do you want seperate sleeping areas within the tent?
Do you want a seperate area in the tent that isn't the sleeping area
where you can sit when it's raining?

If you just want somewhere to sleep and you don't all mind bedding down
together then there are a lot of small dome tents that will sleep that
many. If you're a family and going to stay put on one site for three or
more days then it's worth getting something bigger that will afford you
shelter in the british summer but away from your sleeping area (you
don't want muddy feet allover your bedding).

There are all sorts of tents available for the numbers you are talking,
dome, ridge, frame and even bell (if you can find one).

I'm guessing you're a family group so will want, perhaps, separate
sleeping areas for parentsm, boys and girls. I'd suggest you go for a
dome tent with a large cetral communal area and also have three extended
pod sleeping areas.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old February 12th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
allnewtonyg

Thanks for the reply.

It will be for a family but i will be starting with just me and my 2 boys 3
and 5(wife doesn't fancy it).

I would prefer a tent with say two sleeping areas but with the facility to
remove one of the sleeping areas to create a bigger communal area.

Any ideas

emon.co.uk...

Old February 14th 04, 02:08 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
mountain

"allnewtonyg" wrote in
:

Thanks for the reply.

It will be for a family but i will be starting with just me and my 2
boys 3 and 5(wife doesn't fancy it).

I would prefer a tent with say two sleeping areas but with the
facility to remove one of the sleeping areas to create a bigger
communal area.

Any ideas

You might think this is a stupid reply but IMHO the best thing to do is
find a decent tent supplier that has most of the tents on show pitched. Go
and look at them and decide after you have seen them. I had decided on
aparticular tent from reviews etc but it wasn'tuntil I went to the camping
shop that had them all pitched and on display that I realised that the tent
I thought I had wanted was 1) far too big and 2) had very poor build
quality. I spotted one that fully filled my requirements and have been very
happy with my choice ( and it was cheaper than the one I thought I wanted).

I don't know where you live, I got my tent from SK Camping in Surrey
http://www.skcamping.co.uk/

Hope that helped

Piers
Old February 14th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
allnewtonyg

Hi,

I've been and selected a tent, it's a Vango 600DLX. Any comments good or
bad??
cheers
"mountain" wrote in message
. 97.132...
"allnewtonyg" wrote in
:

Old February 14th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew[_2_]

I can't comment on that particular model, but I can confirm the quality of
Vango products. I have a Venture 500 tent and it is great. Easy to erect and
well made. Importantly (for me at least) it is tall enough to stand up in.
The only downside is that it's a pig to fold such that it fits easily back
into the suitcase style bag.

Andrew

"allnewtonyg" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been and selected a tent, it's a Vango 600DLX. Any comments good or
bad??
cheers
"mountain" wrote in message
. 97.132...