Tent Manufacturer Advice

Old February 14th 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mantrid

Default Tent Manufacturer Advice

Hi peeps,

Last Year my wife and I plus the 4 kids (aged 10, 9, 8, & 7 yrs old) went
camping for the first time. We borrowed 3 small tents just to see if we
would like it. We did, and this year we have saved up our pennies and are in
a position where we could spend 500 plus on a nice big tent.

After extensive web (only ) based research we have narrowed it down to one
particular type and manufacturer.

Now before I go any further, let me just say having only been camping once
before, and having read some of the posts previous tent recommendation I
realise I am definitely a novice (who doesn't wish to parted from his cash
foolishly ) and so would really value your opinion.

Bare these facts in mind.

I like the look of the "igloo" "dome" type and prefer them to the more
square frame purely for aesthetic reaons.
I want 4 (or 5) rooms so the 2 girls can have a room as can the 2 boys, the
wife and I can have a room and we can have a room for all our stuff (When we
camp we are not roving, we will park up for a week at a time) and also if
they want to bring their mates from time to time they can.

The tent we like is below;

http://www.tents-direct.co.uk/family.../apollo12.html

Wynnster Apollo 12 berth 4/5 room dome tent

If people say they are crap then I wont buy, If people say I should spend
more on a metal solid square jobby then I will, if people say these igloos
are flimsy I will believe them, if people say the square frames will last
lobger then this will affect my decision as we have resigned ourselves to
the fact that we are not going abroad for a few years and so whatever we buy
is going to have to last.

How about Wynnster, are they any good? I have read a review by a few people
that I should reseal the joints myself anyway, that is invest in some sort
of spray, but is this "good practice" anyway or not. Some have said you
should buy extra polywotsit for a ground sheet to protect the one you get,
but is that good practice also?

Please share with me the benefits of all your experience and guide me
whither the way I should go..........

Old February 14th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"Mantrid" wrote in message
Hi peeps,
The tent we like is below;

http://www.tents-direct.co.uk/family.../apollo12.html

Wynnster Apollo 12 berth 4/5 room dome tent

definitely try to have a look at one pitched - be very careful of flimsy
groundsheets on that type of tent - they may last one or two years, but they
will definitely not last any more than three - especially with kids jumping
around.
The other major problem with tents of this type is fibreglass poles - they
snap quite easily.

Old February 14th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Goofy

"Mantrid" wrote in message
[...]

For 500 you *could* buy a trailer tent (second hand) - a bit more
comfortable!

Old February 14th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

"Mantrid" wrote in message
[...]

Have you thought about the Khyam range... the Ridgi Dome Classic Ultimate
retails for 545... i have a XXL and after the first couple of times putting
it up it is easy...

Have a look http://www.khyam.co.uk/ridgidome.asp. you will get it cheaper
from a supplier like midwest camping, especially at the minute with the
camping show on at the NEC...

Old February 14th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Goofy

snip

For 500 you *could* buy a trailer tent (second hand) - a bit more
comfortable!

but less fun

Depends what you want out of camping I suppose.
Personally I'd never sleep in a tent, and much prefer the comfort of out
folding camper.

Depends on where you want to go, and family needs (i.e. 2 kids).

Each to their own - I'm not trolling for an argument!

Old February 14th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:29:18 -0000, "Mantrid"
wrote:

Bare these facts in mind.

I like the look of the "igloo" "dome" type and prefer them to the more
square frame purely for aesthetic reaons.
I want 4 (or 5) rooms so the 2 girls can have a room as can the 2 boys, the
wife and I can have a room and we can have a room for all our stuff (When we
camp we are not roving, we will park up for a week at a time) and also if
they want to bring their mates from time to time they can.

The tent we like is below;

http://www.tents-direct.co.uk/family.../apollo12.html

Wynnster Apollo 12 berth 4/5 room dome tent

I would always go for a dome and not a standard "frame" tent as they
are so much easier to put up and I think so much better in the wind -
they "give" a little and so are less likely to snap, or put stress on
particular areas of fabric.

I don't have personal experience of the above tent but I've had
experience of one that was pretty similar (judging from above link)
and I think it sounds like it would be perfect for you. Can't see any
significant things wrong with it - (clutching at straws here) perhaps
lighting would be difficult in the sleeping compartments - I use a
lantern which has to be suspended from the ceiling cross poles in my
dome and that can't be done here - but that really is clutching at
straws!

Looks good to me
Old February 14th 04, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mantrid

Cheers guys for the advice,

You know I havn't thought of a trailer tent before and would like to hear
what the advantages are and why they may not be quite as much "fun"

How would I set up lighting in one of these Wynnster Dome jobbies, if I cant
access cross poles?

Am I right in thinking the consensus would be to buy an additional ground
sheet for added protection, is this what you lot do?

A.

http://www.tents-direct.co.uk/family...s/apollo12.htm

Old February 14th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:22:48 -0000, "Mantrid"
wrote:

How would I set up lighting in one of these Wynnster Dome jobbies, if I cant
access cross poles?

In the sleeping areas? Wouldn't use anything gas as you can't suspend
it - torches and electric lanterns only I'd say

Am I right in thinking the consensus would be to buy an additional ground
sheet for added protection, is this what you lot do?

I don't but then I don't have four active kids :-)

Cheers
Old February 14th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

[...]

Hiya,

I think everyone else has said lots of good things. We've got a Sunncamp Stratus 8
and only one child (10). So there's plenty of room for all of us:-)

I'd say you need as much space as poss, so a 12 berth tent doesn't sound too big at
all. You might want to pick up a 2-man tent as well (for food or for eldest and
friend). We got one via Kelkoo the other day for less than 20.

Don't buy a frame tent, they don't stand up to weather all that well. I remember one
dark and stormy night watching the guy in the frame tent next to us give up trying to
tie the roof back on & retreating into his damp abode with the radio turned up full.
Rather him than me!

We haven't needed an extra poly watsit! but we don't put the groundsheet down in the
living area and we scarcely go in the sleeping bits during the day. We have a large
stock of what we call "toyboxes", those big plastic boxes & we keep kitchen
equipment, food, bathroom & first aid all separate in these. Everyone keeps their own
clothes in their sleeping quarters. Recently we've been experimenting with just
taking a few clothes and using the local laundrette, which has worked well. It woule
probably work even better with a bigger family!

Bedding: We have air beds and sleeping bags. The grownups bags are down filled and
suitable for -5 degrees apparently. We also have a blanket that goes over the gear in
the back of the car (an estate) and over us at night, if need be. The kid has a
cheaper bag, an air bed and a sleeping mat (for Scout camp, but the insulation is v
good, so it goes under the air bed).

What else? ........
...... Don't limit yourselves to the UK, get a cheap ferrry crossing and head for
France. We always spend the first night in St Malo at "Les Ilots" and it's fine.
http://www.ville-saint-malo.fr/campings/gb-ilots.html
There are 4 municipal campsites in St Malo & I think they're all more or less to the
same standard. If I was staying a week or 2 I'd maybe pick one closer to the town or
the sandy beaches.
The prices are he
http://www.ville-saint-malo.fr/campings/tarif3.html
It's by no means a holiday camp and your kids'll have to take pot luck with other
nationalities, but we like it and so might you:-)
One advantage is the weather is likely to be better so you're less likely to have
hordes of kids in wet wellies wearing out the groundsheet:-)

hth

Liz