First timer gas lantern query

Old February 14th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Weston

Default First timer gas lantern query

Hi,

As a newcomer to camping I've spent a some time checking out equipment on
the internet, and not a little time reading this group, and I'll take this
opportunity to thank all those that have answered other people's queries
here - it's helped me a lot in my search for info.

Having managed to get together the basic stuff I think I need, I'm still a
bit puzzled by the different camping lanterns available. Let me stress
first of all that this gear is going in the back of the car for long-weekend
camping, rather than in the pannier of a motorcycle for weeks in the
wilderness, so I really just need something that will provide a reasonable
amount of light and a little bit of heat for the fewest pounds possible.

I've been around the Towsure superstore in Halesowen today, and they sell
the camping gaz lanterns for about 20, and that's about it for gas. These
seem to use the blue non-resealable cartidges, whereas I'd rather use the
butane-type I think. Can someone give me a brief run-down of what's
available, and where the best buys are to be had?

On the subject of best buys, before I went to Towsure I went to Hooty's Tat
Superstore in Willenhall, in the West Midlands. Good buys are to be had
there, I got a collapsible 5L water container for 99p, a 6' by 4' tarpaulin
for the same amount, and one of those torches that you put on your head for
about 2.50. The same items were far more pricey in Towsure (who seem
pretty reasonable compared with many camping retailers, on the whole).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I'm looking forward to my
first camping trip, whenever the weather improves enough

--
Chris Weston

Old February 14th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

"Chris Weston" wrote in message
[...]

I use a Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern, it cost 30 in a sale from
www.outdoors.ltd.uk (its the scouts outlet shop). It puts out plenty of
light and enough heat to nicely warm a tent and get rid of the damp out of
the sleeping bags in about 10 mins in January. 1pint of unleaded petrol
lasts about 6 hours on full whack, but you can reduce it to a nice glow that
lasts about 14hours. The only problems with it ive found (apart from the
smell of petrol) is that you need extra long matches to light it, and you
have to pump it up every hour or so to keep the light bright!!!

Old February 14th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
^..^ Lone Wolf

"Chris Weston" wrote in message
Hi,

Wotcha.

I've been around the Towsure superstore in Halesowen today, and they sell
the camping gaz lanterns for about 20, and that's about it for gas.

I went to Hooty's Tat Superstore in Willenhall, in the West Midlands.

E're - are you stalking me ?
That's where I've been today as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I'm looking forward to

my
first camping trip, whenever the weather improves enough

Seems you're fairly clued up - don't pay over the odds ;-)

--
- -
^..^ Lone Wolf.

Old February 14th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MatSav

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:02:35 -0000, "Chris Weston"
wrote:

Hi,

As a newcomer to camping I've spent a some time checking out equipment on
the internet... Can someone give me a brief run-down of what's
available [gas lamps], and where the best buys are to be had?

If you're a newbie to camping, I'd recommend staying away from gas
lamps - or any other form of light that gets "hot" - inside your tent.
The risk of accidentally setting fire to your (new?) canvas is very
high. If you're "car camping", I'd recommend using 12V strip lights
and a ("spare") car or domestic battery. these items are easily
available from caravan suppliers - or even chandlers.

If you absolutely, positively, must use "incandescent" light, then I'd
recommend a paraffin lantern, e.g. "Tilley". They're not particularly
cheap, but they are relatively safe. There are, of course, many
cheaper "clones" on the market.

--
MatSav
Old February 14th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Weston

"^..^ Lone Wolf" wrote in message

"Chris Weston" wrote in

message
Hi,

Wotcha.

I've been around the Towsure superstore in Halesowen today, and they

sell
the camping gaz lanterns for about 20, and that's about it for gas.

I went to Hooty's Tat Superstore in Willenhall, in the West Midlands.

E're - are you stalking me ?
That's where I've been today as well.

Must be the groovy places to be then. Were you the one with the pink
carnation and the copy of Thursday's Times?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I'm looking forward

my
first camping trip, whenever the weather improves enough

Seems you're fairly clued up - don't pay over the odds ;-)

I wouldn't be in Hooty's if I were going to do that :-)

--
Chris Weston

Old February 14th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:02:35 -0000, "Chris Weston"
wrote:

Hi,

'ello.

I've been around the Towsure superstore in Halesowen today, and they sell
the camping gaz lanterns for about 20, and that's about it for gas. These
seem to use the blue non-resealable cartidges, whereas I'd rather use the
butane-type I think. Can someone give me a brief run-down of what's
available, and where the best buys are to be had?

The bog-standard Lumogaz lantern, using the C206 pierceable butane
cartridge, has been around for ever, it seems. It has the advantage of
ubiquity and low running costs so long as you use most of a cartridge
on each trip (cartridges cost about a pound and contain 190g of gas).

Campingaz also make some fancier lanterns using their CV270 / CV470
clip-on resealable cartridges. Some of these include piezo ignition,
which is nice when it works. These lanterns are pricier than the C206
lantern, and the gas costs more too - about 3 quid for a CV270 with
230g of gas, or 5 quid for a larger CV470 with 450g.

Pictures of Campingaz cylinders he
http://www.wirralbottlegas.co.uk/campgaz/cc.htm

Then there's everybody and their dog making lanterns for screw-on
cartridges. Coleman (formerly EPIGas) make some widely-distributed
lanterns that use these cartridges, as do Karrimor, but there's all
sorts of lanterns out there that use these cartridges. Mine's made by
some italian company wehose name escapes me at present. These lanterns
(particularly the no-name ones) can be cheaper to buy than the
equivalent Campingaz models, and the cartridges are roughly the same
price as the CV ones. To my mind the screw-on cartridges have the edge
in being easier to find in the shops, no doubt because the same thread
is used on cartridges for blowlamps, weed burners and all sorts of
other tools.

Does that help at all?

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old February 14th 04, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

I use the Camping Gaz Lumostar 270HPZ, which has the piezo ignition and runs
off either the cv270 or cv470 cartridges. More than happy with it - its
quieter and more adjustable than the M270 or the 270PZ.

Jaybee

Old February 14th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:55:35 +0000, MatSav matthew D O T savage A T
felthamscouts DOT org D O T uk wrote:

If you're a newbie to camping, I'd recommend staying away from gas
lamps - or any other form of light that gets "hot" - inside your tent.
The risk of accidentally setting fire to your (new?) canvas is very
high. If you're "car camping", I'd recommend using 12V strip lights
and a ("spare") car or domestic battery. these items are easily
available from caravan suppliers - or even chandlers.

If you absolutely, positively, must use "incandescent" light, then I'd
recommend a paraffin lantern, e.g. "Tilley". They're not particularly
cheap, but they are relatively safe. There are, of course, many
cheaper "clones" on the market.

Whilst I agree it's good to be careful I don't think gas lamps are
phenomenally dangerous as long as some reasonably sensible precautions
are taken, so they can't get knocked over.

I suspend mine by a chain from a cloth tape I've sewn round the bit
where the poles meet in the middle of my dome tent. That way it can't
get knocked over, it's a proper light (coleman's backpacking lantern
and the gas lasts ages) and it warms me up lovely and toasty of a dark
evening :-)

Old February 14th 04, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Weston

"QrizB" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:02:35 -0000, "Chris Weston"
wrote:

Hi,

'ello.

snip helpful advice
Does that help at all?

It certainly does. Thanks very much.

Cheers,
--
Chris Weston

Old February 14th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Weston

"King Queen" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
--
Chris Weston