A Caravan forum. Caravan Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Caravan Banter forum » Caravan, Motor Homes and Camping Newsgroups » UK Camping
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK Camping (uk.rec.camping)

Camping In France 1st Time



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 16th 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Camping In France 1st Time

Hi,

I have camped in the UK for years now and my family and I (me, wife, 3yr old
& 7 yr old) fancy giving north France a go, like I say we have never camped
outside of the UK.

Does anyone know of a campsite thats not too far to drive from the ferry
that would suit us 1st timer France Camper, also any other advice.

Cheers

Tony


Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 17th 04, 05:39 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 72
Default Camping In France 1st Time

Tony wrote:

I have camped in the UK for years now and my family and I (me, wife, 3yr
old & 7 yr old) fancy giving north France a go, like I say we have never
camped outside of the UK.

Does anyone know of a campsite thats not too far to drive from the ferry
that would suit us 1st timer France Camper, also any other advice.


IME sites in France are much better. How long do you wish to go for, and how
far is "not too far" ?
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 17th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Camping In France 1st Time


"Paul Robson" wrote in
message ...
Tony wrote:

I have camped in the UK for years now and my family and I (me, wife, 3yr
old & 7 yr old) fancy giving north France a go, like I say we have never
camped outside of the UK.

Does anyone know of a campsite thats not too far to drive from the ferry
that would suit us 1st timer France Camper, also any other advice.


IME sites in France are much better. How long do you wish to go for, and

how
far is "not too far" ?


Looking to go for 1 week, within 1 hours drive of arriving in france.



  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 17th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 72
Default Camping In France 1st Time

Tony wrote:

"Paul Robson" wrote in
message ...
Tony wrote:

I have camped in the UK for years now and my family and I (me, wife,
3yr old & 7 yr old) fancy giving north France a go, like I say we have
never camped outside of the UK.

Does anyone know of a campsite thats not too far to drive from the
ferry that would suit us 1st timer France Camper, also any other
advice.


IME sites in France are much better. How long do you wish to go for, and

how
far is "not too far" ?


Looking to go for 1 week, within 1 hours drive of arriving in france.


One hours drive would get you into central Picardy or the Somme Basin area.
Basically from Calais you can either go down the coast (A16) or inland
(A26).

Probably the coast would be better. It's about 70 miles or so to Abbeville
from the main ports I think.... about an hour.

There's some quite nice campsites on the coast near Abbeville ; stayed at
Camping Val De Trie at Moyenneville and Camping Val D'Authie at Villers sur
Authie ; both nice sites, small pool, preferred the latter myself,
Moyenneville has got a bit busy. There's some stuff around there to do, a
water park, some historical sites, there's a theme park at Berck, the sea
isn't far away.

You'd probably need to book both if you're going in the summer. Might be
worth getting hold of a copy of Alan Rogers guide for France (not the all
Europe one) which lists half a dozen sites of various types and sizes in
this area ; it is the usual trade off between facilities, size and peace.

If you are going for a week as a trial why not trim it to 5 days so you can
take advantage of the cheaper ferry prices ? Then if you like it you can
come back for a couple of weeks and get warmer ; it is a fair bit warmer in
places like the Vendee and Loire regions for example,

Both the sites would be fine for First-timers. Their English is pretty good
if you don't know much french, they're used to British people. It's dead
easy really anyway, French sites are much better in my experience anyway.
Cleaner, better equpped and so on.

You could go to Dieppe from Newhaven ; one hour would get you into Eure and
Seine Maritime. The ferries to St Malo, Caen and Cherbourg would get you
into Normandy and Brittany comfortably but are pretty extortionate.

If you like camping, you and your kids are used to camping, and can take the
time off work I'd suggest going further anyway, or even just going around
on spec. anywhere you fancy. We've never failed to find a spot somewhere,
even in the height of summer. Or you could use a company like Select Site
Reservations who will book sites and ferries etc. for you and are pretty
helpful in my experience. It's probably worth getting their brochure just
for information We've used them a couple of times, you can plan your own
little tour.

http://www.select-site.co.uk/home.cfm

  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 25th 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Odie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Camping In France 1st Time

Tony wrote:

Hi,

I have camped in the UK for years now and my family and I (me, wife, 3yr old
& 7 yr old) fancy giving north France a go, like I say we have never camped
outside of the UK.

Does anyone know of a campsite thats not too far to drive from the ferry
that would suit us 1st timer France Camper, also any other advice.

Cheers

Tony


Tony,

I have just an hour ago booked my camping holiday - we're going to a
place not far from La Rochelle.

The first thing I would do is get the prices of the ferry crossings.
You are looking at almost 500 if you want to land at Cherbourg or
Caen. Based on that, we opted for the Dover / Calais route and the
extra drive. (We're also staying at Disneyland in Paris on the way
back, so it will be convenient for that.)

Have a look at what Eurocamp.co.uk have to offer - they seem to have
cornered the market in the UK.

Odie

--
RetroData
The Data Recovery Experts
Not cheap. Just inexpensive. And effective.
www.retrodata.co.uk
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 25th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default Camping In France 1st Time

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:29:54 +0000, Odie wrote:


I have just an hour ago booked my camping holiday - we're going to a
place not far from La Rochelle.

The first thing I would do is get the prices of the ferry crossings.
You are looking at almost 500 if you want to land at Cherbourg or
Caen. Based on that, we opted for the Dover / Calais route and the
extra drive. (We're also staying at Disneyland in Paris on the way
back, so it will be convenient for that.)


All good advice:-)

Have a look at what Eurocamp.co.uk have to offer - they seem to have
cornered the market in the UK.


A kind of canvas Butlitz. They have very kindly scooped up most of the drunken
British parents and their feral children, but you can easily find anything upto a
3-star campsite at a much better rate (by an order or magnitude!) by just driving
until 5 p.m. and checking out the nearest 3 campsites. If you want to be a bit more
organised, try: http://www.yellohvillage.com/

Or you could try this: http://www.campingfrance.com/indexuk.htm

Liz
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 26th 04, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 72
Default Camping In France 1st Time

FF wrote:

Have a look at what Eurocamp.co.uk have to offer - they seem to have
cornered the market in the UK.


A kind of canvas Butlitz. They have very kindly scooped up most of the
drunken British parents and their feral children, but you can easily find
anything upto a 3-star campsite at a much better rate (by an order or
magnitude!) by just driving until 5 p.m. and checking out the nearest 3
campsites. If you want to be a bit more organised, try:
http://www.yellohvillage.com/


To be fair, they're not all like that, though some of them are. I'd still go
for Select Site Reservations for a 'beginner' in France ; there's a
variety of sites there and all inclusive packages at a decent price.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 26th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Camping In France 1st Time

A kind of canvas Butlitz. They have very kindly scooped up most of the
drunken
British parents and their feral children,


have you got any idea how stuck-up that sounds??? The sort of English
expression that makes me want to go to France in the first place. Anyhow,
EuroCramp are so cheap it's worth booking a pitch and not going, just to get
a cheap Portsmouth/Cherbourg ferry.

I got a 5-day, luchtime sailings both ways for 320-ish. Roll on June...

bfn,

Tony B


  #9 (permalink)  
Old February 26th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default Camping In France 1st Time

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:33:21 +0000, Paul Robson
wrote:

FF wrote:

Have a look at what Eurocamp.co.uk have to offer - they seem to have
cornered the market in the UK.


A kind of canvas Butlitz. They have very kindly scooped up most of the
drunken British parents and their feral children, but you can easily find
anything upto a 3-star campsite at a much better rate (by an order or
magnitude!) by just driving until 5 p.m. and checking out the nearest 3
campsites. If you want to be a bit more organised, try:
http://www.yellohvillage.com/


To be fair, they're not all like that, though some of them are. I'd still go
for Select Site Reservations for a 'beginner' in France ; there's a
variety of sites there and all inclusive packages at a decent price.


I'll check it out... :-)

Liz
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 26th 04, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default Camping In France 1st Time

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:10:29 -0000, "Tony B"
wrote:

A kind of canvas Butlitz. They have very kindly scooped up most of the

drunken
British parents and their feral children,


have you got any idea how stuck-up that sounds??? The sort of English
expression that makes me want to go to France in the first place.


Well, no actually I haven't. I'm 47 years old and have lost count of the times I have
been embarassed by Brits in France (and the rest of mainland Europe) since I was 18.
Grunting and pointing in shops. Letting their children run wild... None of the other
nationalities behaves like that. And I'm sure you don't either... or you'd not be
having quite such a good time when you go to France.... And you don't have a clue who
I am or whether I stand an outside chance of actually being stuck up.....

Anyhow,
EuroCramp are so cheap it's worth booking a pitch and not going, just to get
a cheap Portsmouth/Cherbourg ferry.
I got a 5-day, luchtime sailings both ways for 320-ish. Roll on June...


We paid about 270 return Poole - St Malo last year, on the fast ferry. I think it
was about 13 days in all. We arrived at tea-time, pitched the tent and headed into
Rotheneuf for "steak-frites" at 8:30 pm. And then about 15 Euros a night for
campsites.

The year before we swapped bills with neighbours who had gone for the EuroCamp
option. Really, it was a case of moving the decimal place... They almost fainted..

Liz
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6
Copyright 2004-2019 Caravan Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.