Tilley lamp advice

Old February 17th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris 159

Default Tilley lamp advice

"Andrew Collins" wrote in message
In a bout of rampant nostalgia I picked up a Tilley lamp (X246B) in a
second hand shop a while ago.

I'm not going to ask how to light it, I can remember that. Its just
that it's not half as good as I remember them being, I suspect there's
something up with it.

I've tried applying service pack 1, and to test I'd got it right
before I put a new mantle on I decided to run it for a few minutes
without a mantle so I could check the way it was burning.
What I noticed is that the flame never seems stable, it dances away
from the burner and back again, sometimes in parts and sometimes as a
whole, and there is a definate "whoosh, whoosh, woosh" sound rather
than a steady roar.
I am also slightly worried by the fact that I hardly seem to need to
pump it at all to get a reasonable flame. As a kid I remember having
to pump them loads to get a nice bright flame. With this one it takes
probably ten strokes to get a decent size flame. Many more and the
flame starts to get very unstable and threatens to jump out the bottom
of the glass.
My hunch is that the jet is horrendously worn. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

damn - i was going to suggest worn jet but you beat me to it

Old February 19th 04, 05:00 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

Sounds like anyone of several problems

1. pre heat the lamp more, a colder start will lead to poor light
2. Change the vaporiser (part 606 see base-camp.co.uk for all spares)
3. Poor washer around the pump leading to a slight leak of pressure.

Ask the lads at spiritburner.com (although a stove site, many use Tilleys
and give good free advice)

Hope this helps,,,,,,,,get that Tilley burning

Rik