Tent Heater?

Old February 22nd 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave Eades

Default Tent Heater?

Looking to buy a small heater to take the nip off the cold nights before we
get to bed.
Our tent is rather large (9 person) 3 bedrooms.
any recommendations for a smallish heater to just "Air" the tent a little?

Old February 22nd 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:20:33 +0000 (UTC), "Dave Eades"
wrote:

Looking to buy a small heater to take the nip off the cold nights before we
get to bed.
Our tent is rather large (9 person) 3 bedrooms.
any recommendations for a smallish heater to just "Air" the tent a little?

I find a gas light does a pretty good job.
Old February 22nd 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
RustY

"King Queen" wrote in message
I find a gas light does a pretty good job.

HRH beat me to it. Just change your lighting to gas and it kills two birds
with one stone.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Old February 23rd 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jonathan Stafford

"Dave Eades" wrote in message
Looking to buy a small heater to take the nip off the cold nights before

we
get to bed.
Our tent is rather large (9 person) 3 bedrooms.
any recommendations for a smallish heater to just "Air" the tent a little?

Hi Dave
If you use mains electric, I would reccomend a halogen heater. These are
now widely available, including oscillating ones for the bigger tent. The
advantages a
1. Dry heat. No condensation worries
2. They were sold to me as being very efficient, therefore not tripping
out the mains hook-up. I have found this to be very true and haven't
tripped out one yet , even on two bars.
3. Buy one with a switch which only makes the heater work if its stood
upright. It will turn off if it falls over.
4. Some are quite bright so doubling up as lighting.
Cons:
1. You need mains electric or a generator. Although you could run one
through a suitable inverter. Heaven knows how this would affect the
original power source.
I have two. One in the house and one on our boat.

Good luck

Jonathan

Old February 25th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Netty

are the halogen heaters safe for kids? - are they hot to the touch, if
brushed against? I was thinking of getting one for our trailer tent, but
someone told me they'd ignite the kids pjamas.....not ideal!

lynnette

"jonathan stafford" wrote in message
news[email protected]

Old February 26th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jonathan Stafford

"kqr" wrote in message

are the halogen heaters safe for kids?

I was thinking of getting one for our trailer tent, but
someone told me they'd ignite the kids pjamas.....not ideal!

Only if you sit on it for a long time.........

They are kid safe inherrently because if they are not precisely upright
and on a flat level surface then they tip over. Undernesth is a safety
switch which has to be depressed for the heather to function. Tip it over
and it goes off - instantly. There is insufficient heat after a few

seconds
to ignite anything. It cools as quick as your light bulb!!

lynnette

I would have thought it prudent to have some sort of fire guard whilst using
any kind of heater with kids around, whether it be to prevent wafting
nightwear or curious fingers.

Jonathan

Old February 27th 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"Netty" wrote in message
news:Fm6%[email protected]
are the halogen heaters safe for kids? - are they hot to the touch, if
brushed against? I was thinking of getting one for our trailer tent, but
someone told me they'd ignite the kids pjamas.....not ideal!

Got one in our VW Camper, heats up quick and cools just as quick.

The actual grill does not get to hot for some reason and cuts out if knocked
over.

Excellent bit of kit when on hook-up.

A.

Old February 27th 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

Heaters in tents can be very dangerous with regards to fumes. Your best bet
it warm clothing and a hot drink before bed. If you are car camping a
ho****er bottle won't overload the car too much.

rik