sleeping bag question for newbie

Old February 24th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Clarissa

Default sleeping bag question for newbie

Hi Guys

I just bought a sleeping bag (Ajungilak Tundra Summer). In the foot of the
sleeping bag I found a large-ish mesh bag with a drawstring. I can think of
plenty of general uses but can anyone tell me what this is supposed to be
for in particular? There's a separate storage bag for the sleeping bag
itself, so that's definitely not it.

Cheers!

Old February 24th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Eilbeck

"Clarissa" writes:

Hi Guys

Hey.

I just bought a sleeping bag (Ajungilak Tundra Summer). In the foot
of the sleeping bag I found a large-ish mesh bag with a
drawstring. I can think of plenty of general uses but can anyone
tell me what this is supposed to be for in particular? There's a
separate storage bag for the sleeping bag itself, so that's
definitely not it.

You should have a compression sac for use when you've got the bag in
your pack and a loose bag for storing it uncompressed. If you just
keep it compressed then your bag will lose loft and be less effective
as time goes on.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old February 24th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Clarissa

"Chris Eilbeck" wrote in message
"Clarissa" writes:

Hi Guys

Hey.

I just bought a sleeping bag (Ajungilak Tundra Summer). In the foot
of the sleeping bag I found a large-ish mesh bag with a
drawstring. I can think of plenty of general uses but can anyone
tell me what this is supposed to be for in particular? There's a
separate storage bag for the sleeping bag itself, so that's
definitely not it.

You should have a compression sac for use when you've got the bag in
your pack and a loose bag for storing it uncompressed. If you just
keep it compressed then your bag will lose loft and be less effective
as time goes on.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Ah, thanks Chris, that makes sense. So should you only use the compression
sac when travelling or walking etc, but use the other one when storing at
home?

Clarissa

Old February 24th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Eilbeck

"Clarissa" writes:

"Chris Eilbeck" wrote in message
"Clarissa" writes:

Hi Guys

Hey.

I just bought a sleeping bag (Ajungilak Tundra Summer). In the
foot of the sleeping bag I found a large-ish mesh bag with a
drawstring. I can think of plenty of general uses but can anyone
tell me what this is supposed to be for in particular? There's a
separate storage bag for the sleeping bag itself, so that's
definitely not it.

You should have a compression sac for use when you've got the bag
in your pack and a loose bag for storing it uncompressed. If you
just keep it compressed then your bag will lose loft and be less
effective as time goes on.

Ah, thanks Chris, that makes sense. So should you only use the
compression sac when travelling or walking etc, but use the other
one when storing at home?

I think so. It probably varies from bag to bag but it seems to make
sense.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old February 25th 04, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mr.Nice.[_3_]

Twas 24 Feb 2004 23:18:07 +0000 when Chris Eilbeck
put finger to keyboard producing:

"Clarissa" writes:

"Chris Eilbeck" wrote in message
"Clarissa" writes:

Hi Guys

Hey.

[...]

Better if you can store it loosly folded, on top of a wardrobe
perhaps. IMHO.

--
Regards.
Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)
Old February 25th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"Mr.Nice." wrote in message
Better if you can store it loosly folded, on top of a wardrobe
perhaps. IMHO.

I keep my Mountain Equipment Red Dragon in an old pillow case.....

Old February 26th 04, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Niles

"Rifleman" wrote:

|I keep my Mountain Equipment Red Dragon in an old pillow case.....

Fnarr, fnarr.

| Niles, Nottingham
"Excuse me! | ICQ UIN 12724766
-- I'm a virtuous person now." | outpages.com/nilex