digital camera?

Old February 25th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tom

Default digital camera?

Having just sacrificed a perfectly good camera (again..) to a river I'm
looking for replacement! This time I'd like
1) inexpensive - 120
2) 2mp
3) Smart Media card
4) AA battery power

I'm reluctant to spend more as I seemed to have developed a severe case
of butterfingers!

Any advice welcomed (apart from "Don't be so clumsy!" - SWMBO has
already made that helpful suggestion!)

TIA

--
tom
Old February 25th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:26:13 +0100, martin wrote:

After that buy in Computer World ... BUT Walk in buy the camera you
want refuse all extras extended guarantees etc.

I dislike PC World quite strongly - not certain we're talking about
the same outfit here? but if so their aftersales equipment (in many
people I know's experience) has led an awful lot to be desired.

I like the Fujifilm cameras. They are "no frills", cheap, reliable and
easy to use in my experience. Our local chemist stocks them at
reasonable prices

Cheers
Old February 25th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave Eades

"King Queen" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:26:13 +0100, martin wrote:

After that buy in Computer World ... BUT Walk in buy the camera you
want refuse all extras extended guarantees etc.

I dislike PC World quite strongly - not certain we're talking about
the same outfit here? but if so their aftersales equipment (in many
people I know's experience) has led an awful lot to be desired.

I like the Fujifilm cameras. They are "no frills", cheap, reliable and
easy to use in my experience. Our local chemist stocks them at
reasonable prices

Cheers

ALDI have got some medion ones in next weeks offers, 2.0mp, LCD screen 32mb
built in memory, probably take smartmedia as well, all this for a measly
59.99

Old February 25th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_4_]

Agree... fhe Fuji Finpix 202 is a great little simple camera..... E-Bay has
loads anyway.... Have a look..... definitely many sub 100 and for your 120
you will get a pretty good featured high memory one.

JK

Old February 25th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Eilbeck

Tom writes:

Having just sacrificed a perfectly good camera (again..) to a river I'm
looking for replacement! This time I'd like
1) inexpensive - 120
2) 2mp
3) Smart Media card
4) AA battery power

I'm reluctant to spend more as I seemed to have developed a severe case
of butterfingers!

Any advice welcomed (apart from "Don't be so clumsy!" - SWMBO has
already made that helpful suggestion!)

See http://www.aldi.co.uk/specials_01_11/offers_nav.htm

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
Old February 25th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Tom
writes
Having just sacrificed a perfectly good camera (again..) to a river I'm
looking for replacement! This time I'd like
1) inexpensive - 120
2) 2mp
3) Smart Media card
4) AA battery power

I have an Olympus Camedia C2/D120 almost 2 years old, bought as factory
refurb. from Morgan computers. It matches you spec. I've been very happy
with mine, the weakest point being it's relatively poor at dealing with
backlight exposures (it gets very washed out) (and some slightly fiddly
menu's)

Not made now, but if you get one shouldn't be more than about 60-70 now?

Alternatively they do make the C220 Zoom, seems very similar to the
above, with the addition of a 3.5X optical zoom

Prices on Kelkoo were GBP84 -150.
--
Chris French

Old February 25th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:07:22 +0100, martin wrote:

Sorry I meant PC World. Because PC World make all their profit on the
extended guarantees etc. the actual price is rock bottom.

It's fairly clear from digital camera yahoogroup lists that nobody is
fixing broken digital cameras, including the manufacturers.

Oh right fair enough. I'd refuse to give PC World any money on the
grounds that I think they are thoroughly unethical and don't care
about their customers - but if it's actually costing them money I'd be
more than happy to go and buy one there :-)

It's a sad world we live in when it is so much cheaper just to buy
something really high-tec than get something repaired. Throw-away
society, throw-away values eh.

Sorry I think I'm getting too maudlin and political for a camping
group. I need to get out in a tent and revitalise myself I think!
Old February 26th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jonathan Stafford

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes
[...]

I have an Olympus C220 Zoom. Excellent bit of kit. Bought it on the back
of a Best Buy Award in one of the computer magazines.

Jonathan

Old February 26th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steven Templeton

Old February 27th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

Take a look at
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...rch&Category=4

you will have change enough to buy a different type of mem card

rik