Portable loos anyone?

Old February 25th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Odie

Default Portable loos anyone?

Can anyone recommend a portable chemical loo that can be emptied into a
"normal" toilet, and which doesn't necessarily require rinsing / washing
after being emptied?

Need one in the tent in the South of France summer, as well as in the
car on long journeys. (Smells are probably not too welcome!)

Thanks

Odie

--
RetroData
The Data Recovery Experts
Old February 25th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MatSav

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:02:52 +0000, Odie
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a portable chemical loo that can be emptied into a
"normal" toilet, and which doesn't necessarily require rinsing / washing
after being emptied?

Need one in the tent in the South of France summer, as well as in the
car on long journeys. (Smells are probably not too welcome!)

Odie,

There are numerous threads on news:uk.rec.wateways about toilets on
board boats. Some of these refer to a biodegradable system that uses
yeast tablets (rather than Elsan Blue or Aquakem), and these can be
emptied into "normal" sewer systems. Sorry I can't be more specific -
but take a look for yourself.

--
MatSav
Old February 25th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:02:52 +0000, Odie wrote:

Can anyone recommend a portable chemical loo that can be emptied into a
"normal" toilet, and which doesn't necessarily require rinsing / washing
after being emptied?

Need one in the tent in the South of France summer, as well as in the
car on long journeys. (Smells are probably not too welcome!)

Thanks

Odie

Why? I have UC and when I need the loo I really need the loo. I've never needed a loo
in the car though. I've spent the last several years trying to annotate my French
road map with "aires" with clean loos.... this might take me the rest of my life! but
at least I can now make it to Bordeaux!

French campsites often have the cleanest loos, but you may have to subtly change your
routine to get a freshly cleaned sit-down. I follow the cleaners at 7:30 and then go
back to bed:-)

cheers,

Liz
Old February 26th 04, 06:07 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Odie

FF wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:02:52 +0000, Odie wrote:

Can anyone recommend a portable chemical loo that can be emptied into a
"normal" toilet, and which doesn't necessarily require rinsing / washing
after being emptied?

Need one in the tent in the South of France summer, as well as in the
car on long journeys. (Smells are probably not too welcome!)

Thanks

Odie

Why? I have UC and when I need the loo I really need the loo. I've never needed a loo
in the car though.

I had UC and Crohns - then my large bowel was removed.

I now have the Crohns part. I recently had a further 60cm of small
bowel removed, and on a number of occasions the bag has filled to
bursting in under 5 minutes. On top of that, I have ankylosing
spondylitis and arthritis - not a great mover when speed is required.

Bear in mind that everyone has different "movements" and mine is a
fairly extreme case.

Odie
Old February 26th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:07:47 +0000, Odie wrote:

FF wrote:

[...]

Yikes man! That is not good news! You have my complete and utter ..... respect!
Do you have a key for the disabled loos in France? Presumably you've got one in the
UK. Is there anything a French-speaker could do to help?

cheers,

Liz
Old February 27th 04, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Odie

Bear in mind that everyone has different "movements" and mine is a
fairly extreme case.

Odie

Yikes man! That is not good news! You have my complete and utter ..... respect!
Do you have a key for the disabled loos in France? Presumably you've got one in the
UK. Is there anything a French-speaker could do to help?

cheers,

Liz

Liz,

For starters, can you let me have more info about disabled loos in
France? I do have the key for the UK (great big, bulky thing!) but
would be far more interested in the French equivalent.

Thanks

Odie
Old February 27th 04, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"Odie" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a portable chemical loo that can be emptied into a
"normal" toilet, and which doesn't necessarily require rinsing / washing
after being emptied?

Need one in the tent in the South of France summer, as well as in the
car on long journeys. (Smells are probably not too welcome!)

Thanks

Odie

ASFAIK, PortaPoti type's with Aquachem can be emptied down a normal toilet,
if you have a cassette type it is easy to empty. Chemical toilet disposal
points on campsites are just normal toilets segregated to avoid a mess.

A.

Old February 28th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
HN

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a portable chemical loo that can be emptied into a
"normal" toilet, and which doesn't necessarily require rinsing / washing
after being emptied?

Need one in the tent in the South of France summer, as well as in the
car on long journeys. (Smells are probably not too welcome!)

Thanks

Odie

Any of the Thetford, Elsan, Fiamma, etc., models which have a
separate, sealable waste holding tank will do. The ones with a swivel
emptying spout make less of a splash when emptying though, worth
bearing in mind!

I have a Thetford Portapotti 135 which is very convenient(excuse pun),
and can be transported with contents(!) quite safely in a car. They
don't always require rinsing out after each emptying if you are going
to recharge the waste tank with fluid straight away.

As to what you define as "normal" toilets, well, I am lead to believe
that if enough of the blue formaldehyde based fluid is deposited into
a septic tank, it can seriously harm the correct bacteriological
functioning of the septic tank. I believe though, that there are
ecologically sound alternatives which do not have this effect. One of
which I was given a free sample of at the NEC last week called
"Toiblet". I have yet to try this product but if it works as well as
normal "elsan" fluid and is not too much more costly, I may stop using
the normal stuff.

HTH

Neil

Old February 29th 04, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:44:59 +0000, Odie wrote:

Bear in mind that everyone has different "movements" and mine is a
fairly extreme case.

Odie

Yikes man! That is not good news! You have my complete and utter ..... respect!
Do you have a key for the disabled loos in France? Presumably you've got one in the
UK. Is there anything a French-speaker could do to help?

cheers,

Liz

Liz,

For starters, can you let me have more info about disabled loos in
France? I do have the key for the UK (great big, bulky thing!) but
would be far more interested in the French equivalent.

Thanks

Odie

There doesn't seem to be one! I've searched a load of French websites (including
http://afa.asso.fr/ which is the French colitis & Crohn's association, which led me
to EFCCA http://www.efcca.org/efctravf.htm who publish a leaflet in English about
travel in France (and other countries) that you can apply for by emailing

I guess as he's Finnish, he'll speak pretty good English:-)

AFA does seem to have a card though, but I don't know if it's available to
foreigners: http://www.afa.asso.fr/ACTurgen.htm

NACC http://www.nacc.org.uk/ don't seem to think we travel at all!

Radar http://www.radar.org.uk/FAQ/Index.asp?lHeaderID=8#7
has this to say:
"There is no national key scheme in France, but we understand that in some towns,
such as Paris, there are accessible toilets which are opened by a key which is only
available to residents. Other accessible toilets are not locked - such as toilets on
the motorways - or may be opened on request to the person in charge - such as at
certain gas stations. " , which is hardly helpful.

and more info on other countries. (I always did fancy holidaying in the Black
Forest... now I know why:-)

Ostomy International http://www.ostomyinternational.org/ even has a prayer for Muslim
ostomates to use as absolution before prayer:-) but I couldn't see any info on
travel:-(

I looked at the Dutch Colitis & Crohn's site, as Dutch people travel a lot.... but
they have nothing on travel on their site at all. I am totally amazed by that, I
lived in the Netherlands for 6 years (pre-CU) and would think they'd be as clued up
as anyone. More research may be needed...

Does that help? Need more? Just ask:-)

Liz
Old February 29th 04, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Odie

Default Portable loos anyone? - THANKS for your help

Thanks for all your replies - very useful and much appreciated.

Odie