Screw valve gas cannister interchangeablilty?

Old February 26th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

Default Screw valve gas cannister interchangeablilty?

is there a table somewhere of what self-sealing gas canisters fit what
stoves other than the one they were designed for? (If you see what I
mean....)

Old February 27th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

They are all pretty much standard nowadays. I have a primus 224 burner and
have used primus, veritas, go gas, just about any screw gas can.

However, as we all know, gas stoves are crap when the weather gets chilly,
so go on ebay and buy a parafinn primus stove for 5-25 (and take a look at
www.spiritburner.com to learn about stoves of all shapes and fuels (no, I
don't work for them, its a free site, I just collect stoves)

Rik
PS replace the at with @ in a reply to me

Old February 27th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

"richard baker" wrote in message
They are all pretty much standard nowadays. I have a primus 224 burner

and
have used primus, veritas, go gas, just about any screw gas can.

However, as we all know, gas stoves are crap when the weather gets chilly,
so go on ebay and buy a parafinn primus stove for 5-25 (and take a look

at
www.spiritburner.com to learn about stoves of all shapes and fuels (no, I
don't work for them, its a free site, I just collect stoves)

I've got an Optimus 123 petrol stove, two pocket primuses and a Burmos
already!

Old February 27th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:46:26 -0000, "Rifleman"
wrote:

is there a table somewhere of what self-sealing gas canisters fit what
stoves other than the one they were designed for? (If you see what I
mean....)

As I see it there's four main sorts.

- screw-on butane or butane/propane ones, which all use the same EN417
thread and are universally interchangeable (subject to the caveat that
some appliances - mostly blowlamps - will only take the smaller
diameter ones).
- clip-on Camping Gaz CV cartridges, which only Camping Gaz supply and
use.
- clip-on "bistro" cartridges used with certain tabletop stoves.
- Coleman propane cartridges, unique and uncommon in the UK.

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old February 29th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article , says...
I've got an Optimus 123 petrol stove

and me but I need spares for it! Anyone any ideas?
Old March 1st 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

martin wrote:

In article , says...
I've got an Optimus 123 petrol stove

and me but I need spares for it! Anyone any ideas?

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Optimus.html

ta! :-)

They also have a complete Optimus 123 for UKP57.

and
Subscribe to

UrgH! Tilley lamps! Lots of smoke, smell and flareups! :-(

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types
Old March 1st 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

martin wrote:

UrgH! Tilley lamps! Lots of smoke, smell and flareups! :-(

The group is much more than that.
It's full of experts with good advice including something similar to
"UrgH! Tilley lamps! Lots of smoke, smell and flareups!" for the
modern Tilley lamps.

I have been seeing people pray to the great god Tilley ( wash your hands
in expensive blue ungents, sacrifice the meths wick, and finally show
allegiance to your god with clouds of black smoke and sheets of flame,
followed by regular worshipng at the pump ) for the best part of 40
years, why are "new " ones different to the old?

Old March 1st 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

martin wrote:

UrgH! Tilley lamps! Lots of smoke, smell and flareups! :-(

The group is much more than that.
It's full of experts with good advice including something similar to
"UrgH! Tilley lamps! Lots of smoke, smell and flareups!" for the
modern Tilley lamps.

I have been seeing people pray to the great god Tilley ( wash your hands
in expensive blue ungents, sacrifice the meths wick, and finally show
allegiance to your god with clouds of black smoke and sheets of flame,
followed by regular worshipng at the pump ) for the best part of 40
years, why are "new " ones different to the old?

They are claimed to be much, much worse.

What classifies as a "new one"?

I've never had a problem
lighting an old model Tilley, but have never tried a new one. Then
again I don't have troubles lighting any paraffin stove, because I
follow the instructions.

I don't have troubles lighting any paraffin stove, because I
stick to petrol( or meths, or gas, or wood/twigs/leaves)

Old March 1st 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

martin wrote:

What classifies as a "new one"?

I think anything made in the last 15 years.

I've never had a problem
lighting an old model Tilley, but have never tried a new one. Then
again I don't have troubles lighting any paraffin stove, because I
follow the instructions.

I don't have troubles lighting any paraffin stove, because I
stick to petrol( or meths, or gas, or wood/twigs/leaves)

but when you do BANG! :-)

My wood/twigs/leaves stove has never gone bang!

I use a Taylor paraffin stove in a boat, petrol, gas and meths are all
less safe in boats

Because? Of fumes settling in the bilges?

Old March 1st 04, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

martin wrote:

Eventually, I
got a Gaz bottle with a defective seal, that vented the whole bottle,
when I removed the covering cap. Luckily the boat was out of the water
and there were no naked flames, otherwise I think, I, my boat and the
shed full of boats my boat was in would have been blown away.

Meths should be safe, but several people reported fires in their boats
caused by meths spilling out of Origo stoves, when their boats heeled.

The answer then is clear , stick to wood and twigs. BTW I have seen a
"pocket" stove in the Cabelos catalouge that burns wood/twigs etc anyone
know If I can get one in the UK?