Trangia Cooking Kit

Old February 29th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Craven

Default Trangia Cooking Kit

I was out this weekend doing a bit of wild camping, one of the lads was
using his trangia cooking set, it work excellent in the conditions, my
alpine gas stove was struggling in the cold temperature.

I am going to buy one, i did notice however, that Gelert do a copy trangia
kit for half the price, has any used this one, advise?

Cheers

Old February 29th 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jon[_3_]

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:24:43 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:04:09 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Craven"
wrote:

I was out this weekend doing a bit of wild camping, one of the lads was
using his trangia cooking set, it work excellent in the conditions, my
alpine gas stove was struggling in the cold temperature.

I am going to buy one, i did notice however, that Gelert do a copy trangia
kit for half the price, has any used this one, advise?

I can't find it on their website. http://www.gelert.com/

It's product code CUT 019. Use the product locator, and enter keyword
"stove".

Can't help as to whether it's any good ot not though, although I had a
look at one in a shop recently, and it didn't *look* too bad.

hth
--
Jon
jondotrogersatntlworlddotcom

Old February 29th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rifleman

news

wrote:

I was out this weekend doing a bit of wild camping, one of the lads was
using his trangia cooking set, it work excellent in the conditions, my
alpine gas stove was struggling in the cold temperature.

I am going to buy one, i did notice however, that Gelert do a copy

trangia
kit for half the price, has any used this one, advise?

I can't find it on their website. http://www.gelert.com/

It's product code CUT 019. Use the product locator, and enter keyword
"stove".

Can't help as to whether it's any good ot not though, although I had a
look at one in a shop recently, and it didn't *look* too bad.

hth
--
Jon
jondotrogersatntlworlddotcom

Surely as a methylated spirit stove doesn't have any moving parts, one make
ought to be as good as another?

Old February 29th 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Craven

"Rifleman" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

That's what I thought, there just seems to be quite a price diference,
cracking bit of kit, as you say so simple but very effective no matter what
the weather.

Old March 1st 04, 05:53 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Craven

"JK" wrote in message
I cant see it either on the site..!!??

JK

"Martin Craven" wrote in message
I was out this weekend doing a bit of wild camping, one of the lads was
using his trangia cooking set, it work excellent in the conditions, my
alpine gas stove was struggling in the cold temperature.

I am going to buy one, i did notice however, that Gelert do a copy

trangia
kit for half the price, has any used this one, advise?

Cheers

http://www.gelert.com/ click on the products tab, then camping equipment
then cooksets

Old March 1st 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Martin Craven wrote:

Surely as a methylated spirit stove doesn't have any moving parts, one

make
ought to be as good as another?

That's what I thought, there just seems to be quite a price diference,
cracking bit of kit, as you say so simple but very effective no matter what
the weather.

Actually the windier it is the better, I have often seen Trangias
outperform petrol stoves in windy weather.

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk
Old March 1st 04, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
John and Pauline at Thornbury

Hello,
The Trangia is Quality product. Other makes of a similar nature (copy) work
exactly the same. But, can you live with a cheap copy when you can buy the
real thing in Quality-I cannot.
All the best,
John.

--

http://www.pbase.com/john28july
"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 06:53:54 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Craven"
wrote:

"JK" wrote in message
I cant see it either on the site..!!??

JK

"Martin Craven" wrote in message
I was out this weekend doing a bit of wild camping, one of the lads

was
using his trangia cooking set, it work excellent in the conditions,

my
alpine gas stove was struggling in the cold temperature.

I am going to buy one, i did notice however, that Gelert do a copy

trangia
kit for half the price, has any used this one, advise?

Cheers

http://www.gelert.com/ click on the products tab, then camping equipment
then cooksets

The stove is lurking under a pan!

The trouble with meths is it is expensive.
--
Martin

Old March 1st 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
HN

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:15:58 -0000, "Rifleman"
wrote:

Surely as a methylated spirit stove doesn't have any moving parts, one make
ought to be as good as another?

Indeed; but IMO there is more to it than that.

For instance:

I know that spare bits are easily obtainable for the Trangia sets, but
I doubt they are for the cheaper copies, although I could be wrong.

The modern Trangia has the facility to put an optional gas burner into
the windshield base unit as an alternative to the meths burner, if you
like that sort of thing.

Also a fact totally unlikely to be of any significance whatsoever to
anyone else here - a Cona standard glass coffee brewer fits the
Trangia 27 size wind shield/pot holder exactly )

In spite of having far too many camp stoves, I wouldn't get rid of my
Trangia 27K!

Neil

Old March 1st 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
HN

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:24:43 +0100, martin wrote:

Woolworths used to do a spirit stove for the price of a week's pocket
money when I was a kid. I find it hard to understand how anybody can
charge so much nowadays for something that is so simple to make.

Yes, I remember them! That would be when -

One thousand and one cleaned a big, big carpet for less than
half-a-crown!

Whoops - age showing!

Neil