Disabled Camper

Old March 1st 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rustyspanner

Default Disabled Camper

Hi Everyone

im 28 , married with 2 young kids. Been camping for last couple of
years as its so cheap it means the kids can have holidays. In january i
was diagnosed with chronic rheumatoid arthritis, i am unable to get
about at times without help from my crutches, and there is no way ill
get on an airbed anymore. But im not going to allow this disease to
stop me from doing what i love, Camping.

I was wondering if there are any other campers out there who are in a
similar situation and what tips / advice have they got on making camping
as easier as possible.

Hope to hear from you soon

Old March 1st 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:25:13 +0000 (UTC), "Rustyspanner "
wrote:

im 28 , married with 2 young kids. Been camping for last couple of
years as its so cheap it means the kids can have holidays. In january i
was diagnosed with chronic rheumatoid arthritis, i am unable to get
about at times without help from my crutches, and there is no way ill
get on an airbed anymore. But im not going to allow this disease to
stop me from doing what i love, Camping.

I was wondering if there are any other campers out there who are in a
similar situation and what tips / advice have they got on making camping
as easier as possible.

Hi,

I'm a full time wheelchair user with care needs, who lives in a
residential home.

I go camping (in a tent) every summer, in a field - we build our own
wheelchair accessible composting toilets, and use a portable hoist. We
sometimes have running water, sometimes cart it in. We have to heat up
the water ourselves using a gas stove if we want a warm wash.

I have a problem with pressure sores. The district nurse suggested
having two airbeds on top of each other, each half inflated so that I
"sink in" to it and so that the pressure is distributed. I have to get
my mates to come and turn me every couple of hours throughout the
night. It seems to work.

I know of a couple of other people who use wheelchairs (they have
M.E.) who camp, though I am not aware of anybody else who has care
needs + is a full time wheelchair user (unable to stand) like me!

However I remember looking into this sort of thing before and people
have told me about the way they have adapted camper vans for
wheelchair access (Tail lift, high bunks etc.) - I'll ask around again
and ask if they have any suggestions for people with arthritis /
crutches if you like.

I should imagine that a camper van would be a much better idea for you
than tent camping? Because the beds would be higher (easier to get
into) and more comfortable, and there would be less damp and cold to
seize up your joints

I did have a thread about accessible camping here a couple of years
ago but Google didn't seem to catch it.

Cheers

Doug
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old March 1st 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

"Rustyspanner " wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...
Hi Everyone

im 28 , married with 2 young kids. Been camping for last couple of
years as its so cheap it means the kids can have holidays. In january i
was diagnosed with chronic rheumatoid arthritis, i am unable to get
about at times without help from my crutches, and there is no way ill
get on an airbed anymore. But im not going to allow this disease to
stop me from doing what i love, Camping.

I was wondering if there are any other campers out there who are in a
similar situation and what tips / advice have they got on making camping
as easier as possible.

Hope to hear from you soon

Hi Rusty

I have RA too, and it did stop me from camping for the same reason -
airbeds. I couldn't sleep on a camping bed with legs as I found it too
uncomfortable. Have you seen the high airbeds that you can buy now? They
are more than double the height of a normal one.

Jaybee

Old March 1st 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
drew

Rustyspanner wrote:
Hi Everyone

im 28 , married with 2 young kids. Been camping for last couple of
years as its so cheap it means the kids can have holidays. In january i
was diagnosed with chronic rheumatoid arthritis, i am unable to get
about at times without help from my crutches, and there is no way ill
get on an airbed anymore. But im not going to allow this disease to
stop me from doing what i love, Camping.

I was wondering if there are any other campers out there who are in a
similar situation and what tips / advice have they got on making camping
as easier as possible.

Hope to hear from you soon

I am into engineer mode here....;-) I was musing on a trailer tent,
these normally have a step up of about a foot, then the beds (yes, you
get proper beds with mattresses!) are about seat height abouve the
floor. I was thinking that a ramp could fairly easily be added, perhaps
just laid on the floor of the trailer, then pulled out when in use.

Just a thought...

Drew.

Old March 2nd 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rustyspanner Spanner

Thanks for your replies. Its great to get some ideas and tips, i have
had a look at those high airbeds and they look quite comfortable too.
Your advice has been very much appreciated, and i cant wait to get back
out in to the tent with the rest of the family.
Speak soon

Old March 4th 04, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
HN

wrote:

Hi Everyone

im 28 , married with 2 young kids. Been camping for last couple of
years as its so cheap it means the kids can have holidays. In january i
was diagnosed with chronic rheumatoid arthritis, i am unable to get
about at times without help from my crutches, and there is no way ill
get on an airbed anymore. But im not going to allow this disease to
stop me from doing what i love, Camping.

I was wondering if there are any other campers out there who are in a
similar situation and what tips / advice have they got on making camping
as easier as possible.

Hope to hear from you soon

Hi

I was just in my local Makro yesterday, and saw that they are selling
a fairly substantial looking, folding steel framed camp bed which
stands a good 14 inches off the ground. It also looks sturdy enough
to endure sitting on the bed edge in a few places.

They're priced at 14.99 plus VAT.

Might be worth a look.

Neil

Old March 4th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
HN

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:58:31 +0000, HN wrote:

Hi

I was just in my local Makro yesterday, and saw that they are selling
a fairly substantial looking, folding steel framed camp bed which
stands a good 14 inches off the ground. It also looks sturdy enough
to endure sitting on the bed edge in a few places.

They're priced at 14.99 plus VAT.

Might be worth a look.

Neil

This same bed is also to be found at www.riverswayleisure.co.uk their
catalogue number is RL5047 priced at 29.95.

Neil