Help! Camping gas lantern

Old March 5th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave Eades

Default Help! Camping gas lantern

Just bought a little camping gas lantern from argos.
the instructions are not very clear and I think I might have messed it up.
Here what I did.

1.put the canister in the bottom
2.fitted the "mantle?" over the central jet
3.burned the mantle at the bottom, so it fits snug.
4.put all the unit back together and turned on the gas slowly.
5.lit a match at the top opening of the lamp
6. watched my kitchen get covered in a talc like mist
7. looked at the lamp and the mantle has turned to dust

what have I done wrong?

dave

Old March 5th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:47:23 +0000 (UTC), "Dave Eades"
wrote:

Just bought a little camping gas lantern from argos.
the instructions are not very clear and I think I might have messed it up.
Here what I did.

1.put the canister in the bottom
2.fitted the "mantle?" over the central jet
3.burned the mantle at the bottom, so it fits snug.
4.put all the unit back together and turned on the gas slowly.
5.lit a match at the top opening of the lamp
6. watched my kitchen get covered in a talc like mist
7. looked at the lamp and the mantle has turned to dust

what have I done wrong?

er... I think you're supposed to burn all the mantle (not just the
bottom) before lighting it.I hope it came with a spare!
Old March 6th 04, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave Eades

wrote:

Just bought a little camping gas lantern from argos.
the instructions are not very clear and I think I might have messed it

up.
Here what I did.

1.put the canister in the bottom
2.fitted the "mantle?" over the central jet
3.burned the mantle at the bottom, so it fits snug.
4.put all the unit back together and turned on the gas slowly.
5.lit a match at the top opening of the lamp
6. watched my kitchen get covered in a talc like mist
7. looked at the lamp and the mantle has turned to dust

what have I done wrong?

er... I think you're supposed to burn all the mantle (not just the
bottom) before lighting it.I hope it came with a spare!

Erm Nope?

so if you burn the whole mantle, why is it there in the first place?
I mean, if you burn it,surely it reduces to nothing and therefore may as
well not have existed?

Old March 6th 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen Glynn

wrote:

[...]

I cant imagine why you would want to burn it first????
You fit it, put the cover back on, turn on the gas, light it and hey
presto!!

---

Old March 6th 04, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
T.

"Stephen Glynn" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

If you do that the pressure of the gas will blow holes in the mantle....

Fit the mantle carefully - dont bother with making it tidy as long as the
holes in the mantle are securely fitted over the gas pipe. Next gently light
the mantle and let it slowly burn - be careful again not to rip the mantle.
After a few seconds all the mantle will have burnt and turned a white
colour. Do not touch it. Provided the mantle does not have any holes in it
light the gas gently and you should have a bright light.

Old March 6th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:53:04 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 07:59:17 +0000 (UTC), "Dave Eades"
wrote:

er... I think you're supposed to burn all the mantle (not just the
bottom) before lighting it.I hope it came with a spare!

Erm Nope?

so if you burn the whole mantle, why is it there in the first place?
I mean, if you burn it,surely it reduces to nothing and therefore may as
well not have existed?

No it doesn't burn to nothing. It leaves behind a mantle shaped
substance that contains a radioactive substance that fluoresces when
it is heated.

End of discussion?

Not radioactive. Have you heard the phrase "in the limelight" ? Well
that is what is going on here. The lime in the mantle is heated by the
gas flame and flouresces.

To the OP, I reckon that your mantle was popped when you lit the
lantern. They are very fragile when first burnt. Fit a new one and
burn all of it. Then these comments gleaned from a Coleman instruction
manual:

"Allow it to cool and then light the gas and leave the lantern lit for
at least half an hour."

After that it should be reasonably robust.

I bet Argos don't do spare mantles though :-(
Old March 6th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave Eades

Now sorted, thanks all,
took it back to argos, as the mantle supplied appers to have been jiggered
to start with.
they replaced the lamp,no hassle I also bought some spare mantles from a
local camping shop (just in case)

they are bright aren't they, these lamps (unlike me)

Thanks

Dave

Old March 6th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:55:47 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:11:47 -0000, marc marccdimspamremovedimspamto
wrote:

In article ,
says...
No it doesn't burn to nothing. It leaves behind a mantle shaped
substance that contains a radioactive substance that fluoresces when
it is heated.

They haven't been radioactive for a number of years

Read the links I posted, and then admit you are wrong

Your "links" relate to a single source,
www.wikipedia.org, which
offers little assurance that the content is accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About
"The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, including you, can edit
any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that
appears in every Wikipedia article"

I don't think you've proven anything.

On the other hand, the chemistry department at Leeds university are of
the opinion that mantles are no longer thoriated, with zirconium being
commonly used instead:
http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/delights...tration_19.htm

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old March 6th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
drew

martin wrote:
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:50:06 GMT, (QrizB) wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:55:47 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:11:47 -0000, marc marccdimspamremovedimspamto
wrote:

In article ,

says...

No it doesn't burn to nothing. It leaves behind a mantle shaped
substance that contains a radioactive substance that fluoresces when
it is heated.

They haven't been radioactive for a number of years

Read the links I posted, and then admit you are wrong

Your "links" relate to a single source,
www.wikipedia.org, which
offers little assurance that the content is accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About
"The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, including you, can edit
any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that
appears in every Wikipedia article"

If you are suggesting I edited the site then say so. I can assure I
didn't and that what is on the site was typical of most other sites

http://www.chemsoc.org/viselements/pages/thorium.html

http://www.mod.uk/linked_files/dsef/...392/chap46.pdf

http://www.webelements.com/webelemen...t/Th/uses.html

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/icl/heyes/LanthAct/A2.html

etc. etc.

So how many links did you ignore before you found the link that
supported your claim?

I don't think you've proven anything.

On the other hand, the chemistry department at Leeds university are of
the opinion that mantles are no longer thoriated, with zirconium being
commonly used instead:
http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/delights...tration_19.htm

If you looked further and read more than the Leeds link you would find
that mantles still use thorium, especially those made in the far east

Just out of interest..... Argos (where the original poster purchased his
lantern) only sell one gas lantern, this is a Campingaz CV270. Camping
Gaz have a website with a gas lantern FAQ. This FAQ states "Campingaz®
have manufactured non-radioactive gas mantles since 1992"

So it would seem that the original Mantle that was vaporised is unlikely
to be a radioactive one, the replacements bought from a camping shop?
Who knows......

Drew.