Electric hookups

Old April 1st 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines[_2_]

Default Electric hookups

"Dave Eades" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying an electric hook-up for the tent, to make life a
little more comfortable for us (especially in the evenings)
I was wondering if they are Ok to run a television from,
and maybe a kettle.
A guy near me makes them and says they are safe, I can supply a photo of
these if you would like to give your comments.
TIA
Dave

Check with the site on arrival what there amp the hookups are, most are
16amp these days.

Then use the following to work out what you can run:

Watts divided by Volts = Amps e.g.. 1,000 watt fan heater divided by 240
Volts = 4.17 Amps.

Remember that some appliances surge when first switched on.

Get a proper designed lead with a RCD etc. included.

Old April 1st 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines[_2_]

Get a proper designed lead with a RCD etc. included.

Aren't campsite connections RCD by law?

--
Martin

Yes I believe they are, I always use a RCD in my van as well, before any
appliances on the basis that it is better to trip at that point rather than
at the hook-up, which may take out other campers or even a whole row (ask me
how I know?).

Andy

Old April 1st 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Colin Dawson

"Andy Vines" wrote in message

Get a proper designed lead with a RCD etc. included.

Aren't campsite connections RCD by law?

--
Martin

Yes I believe they are, I always use a RCD in my van as well, before any
appliances on the basis that it is better to trip at that point rather

than
at the hook-up, which may take out other campers or even a whole row (ask

me
how I know?).

That's easy. RCD's are pretty sensetive beasties. They detect a power
surge on the line and trip - causing another surge as the current is cut
off. Normally it's small enough not to trip and RCD, but if they're
sensetive enough, it'll take out the one next door.....

Col.

Old April 1st 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jonathan Stafford

"Colin Dawson" wrote in message

"Andy Vines" wrote in message

Get a proper designed lead with a RCD etc. included.

(snip)

I would say this is vital as I blew a fridge up when just using a hook-up
cable that wasnt protected (I know, words like dim wit spring to mind) I was
just glad that I was there to yank the plug out. I have now bought an RCD
protected hook-up from towsure http://www.towsure.co.uk/ for just over 50
quid.

Jonathan

Old April 1st 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

I would say this is vital as I blew a fridge up when just using a hook-up
cable that wasnt protected (I know, words like dim wit spring to mind) I

was
just glad that I was there to yank the plug out. I have now bought an RCD
protected hook-up from towsure http://www.towsure.co.uk/ for just over 50
quid.

Jonathan

There is some information on the C&CC site - one of their downloadable
leaflets covers electric hook ups and supply issues.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.../technical.htm

Jaybee

Old April 1st 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:37:09 +0100, "JayBee"
wrote:

There is some information on the C&CC site - one of their downloadable
leaflets covers electric hook ups and supply issues.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.../technical.htm

I've never stayed in a camp site that had hookups. The nearest we had
was when we had Generator X (wind and solar power) powering lights in
the marquees and toilets, and the sound system, a video and telly (and
charging the occasional mobile!) Even when I was a scout staying in
"conventional" camp sites there was no leccy.

Generally I even have to hoik my own water. And for the past few years
we've built our own **** pits^w^w "composting toilets" - wheelchair
accessible and all!

I do well with my wind up charger for my mobile, my gas lamps etc.! A
portable hoist (I'm a wheelchair user), water carrier, folding bowl
and stove and Bob's your uncle

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old April 3rd 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
HN

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:25:49 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson"
wrote:

That's easy. RCD's are pretty sensetive beasties. They detect a power
surge on the line and trip - causing another surge as the current is cut
off. Normally it's small enough not to trip and RCD, but if they're
sensetive enough, it'll take out the one next door.....

Col.

False! They neither detect a surge or cause a surge.

Residual Current Devices detect an imbalance(small) in the current in
the live and neutral conductors of the feed beyond the device. The
only fault condition that can cause this imbalance is the leakage of
current from the live conductor to ground. This leakage could be
through a persons body via a faulty appliance, and if large enough,
could cause injury or death. So the Earth Leakage Circuit
Breaker(ELCB) or RCD as they are now called, is factory set to trip
the supply completely, at a detected current imbalance deemed small
enough as not to cause injury.

Neil