Electric hook-up

Old April 9th 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
highgateuk

Default Electric hook-up

I have been camping for some time now and have never used electricity, but
now due to food going off I would like to use a cool box and have better
lighting, can anybody tell me what I need to connect my tent to the camping
electric supply, thanks in anticipation, Robert

Old April 9th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Eric Clarke

It's a bit of gear you get from Towsure, about 60 but it's all the clubs
will let you use.
Eric

Old April 13th 04, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul King

"highgateuk" wrote in message
I have been camping for some time now and have never used electricity, but
now due to food going off I would like to use a cool box and have better
lighting, can anybody tell me what I need to connect my tent to the

camping
electric supply, thanks in anticipation, Robert

You'll need to get a standard Europlug (blue) and some high visability
(brightly coloured - orange or yellow) flexible mains cable. You could need
75 to100 feet of it! Some people say you also need an RCD - but I must admit
that I never used one! The Europlug (male) fits into the site's supply and I
fitted a 6-way gang to the other end.

For lighting, I used 12v Caravan striplights (twin 8watt units - 3 of them)
powered from the Auxiliary socket (12S) of the car, modified with Terry
clips to clip onto the roof poles. Mains lighting in a tent - TOO RISKY!

Be aware that (if you have kiddlywinks) you now open up the world of "Dad,
can we take the Playstation with us?"

Old April 13th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David Chance

You can buy a ready-made electric hook up - complete with 20m wire and
MCBs - ideal considering that it will get wet - either directly or when
you touch it after standing on wet grass. Provides 3 'normal' three pin
sockets.

I drive a small fridge (Tesco best buy - supposed to store beer/drinks
etc, but ideal last year in south of france for keeping butter, cheese
and meat. Also a set of lights and a low wattage kettle - home from home.

Cost around 80-90 from most camping shops - worth trying goole/yahoo.
Expensive, but when you consider your safety - invaluable.