Norfolk (long)

Old October 6th 03, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Irene Adler

Default Norfolk (long)

We took the second trip in our 'van this weekend.
The first trip was a test, and this one was a treat, so we ate out a lot
which of course we won't be able to afford to do again for a bit!
The journey took 2 1/2 hours and was stress-free. My map-reading was
faultless (amazing!) and we found the site first go. We arrived at the
Binham
site at 11.30 am.
It was a very out-of-the way field near a farm, which seemed disused and
slightly scary.
Exploring the farm, there were huge barns and sheds, all empty, with rusted
doors banging in the wind....
Empty poison cans lay around, with warning signs, and all the windows were
broken. We peered in the windows, half-expecting to see frightful horrors
hidden in the shadows......
Sorry! shaking over-imaginative self

Anyway! There were only 2 other people on the site, so we were pretty
private. Just open fields all around us, and only the occasional bang from a
bird scarer to break the silence.

We went to nearby Wells-Next-the-Sea and bought some wonderful freshly
cooked fish'n'chips, and sat on the quay to eat them. With a cup of tea.
Watching the children catch crabs and the boats coming in and out. Blissful!
Except that we hadn't thought of forks, so we had to burn our fingers.....
We ate the mushy peas sharing the plastic spoon that came with the tea.
Then we found a car-boot sale nearby and looked at that. Didn't buy anything
though. Then we looked at, or in every shop in Wells, and I bought a mug
with 'Total *******' on for Jan, (my son) and a 'Recipes from Norfolk' book
for me
for 99p.
We found 2 caravan accessory shops nearby, so we lurked all over them.....
We still found the choices (crockery and extras) bland and boring, so we
didn't buy anything there.
Then we went to Sheringham about 16 miles from our site. Big success - we
loved it there. By now the wind had got up, and the waves were crashing
onto the rocks, sending their spray all over us. Wonderful! The town High
Street is long and narrow, and packed with interesting shops.
Shops....Oooh...our favourite thing.
We tramped up and down and looked either at or in all of them.
The sun was still bright, but big black clouds were gathering in the
distance.....
Tired out, we stopped at a cafe and had tea and home-made carrot cake.
Much refreshed, we took another look at the crashing waves, and then wended
our way home. Stopping on the way for a take-away....
Although cooking delicious meals in the 'van is very much in our plans, this
trip was not the time.
I clasped my crispy duck and Ian's Cantonese chicken to my bosom
lovingly.....(It's a fat bosom, and very warm....)

Back at the van, the black clouds gathered more forcefully, and it started
to rain. Much pleased that we were safe at 'home', we turned on the gas
fire,
and tucked into our food, with hot cups of tea.
I put the radio on (radio 2, the clearest signal) and we sat peacefully
reading and arguing. As you do. :-) ..peacefully.....
Damn! I'd forgotten to bring a jig-saw......
We made the beds up, which was quite funny. Ian is so big '6'6", he can
hardly move
in the van without tripping over something, and the two of us trying to move
about together is impossible! So it's a matter of 'Stay there! I'll do it!'
or 'You do it, I'll stay here!' But eventually we got sorted out, turned
off the fire and cuddled up into our cosy beds. Once the radio was turned
off, we realised that the wind really had got up, and was positively howling
around the 'van.
Wonderful! And then the rain started....and I mean rain! It absolutely
poured down!
I tried to stay awake just to listen to it, enjoying the sounds of the
weather outside whilst we were warm and cosy inside. It was difficult to
stay awake though, the sounds were so soothing and soporific.....
We were both woken at 4am in the morning by hailstones battering down above
our heads.....
Shiveringly exciting! They hammered down for ages, and then stopped, and all
was quiet - rather disappointingly. But then the wind started howling again!
Much comforted, we slept soundly.....
The 'van didn't move at all during all this, by the way, so I wasn't scared
at all.

Early next morning, 6.30 or so,
The rain was much less, so we took it in turns to sprint up to the the
shower
room, and brave the working shower! The facilities were very basic but at 5
per pitch per night who were we to complain? The shower was hot anyway, and
that was something. Shivering, I got dressed as quickly as possible. It was
funny,
cleaning my teeth. Once scrubbed, I had to open my mouth under the shower,
and hope to get in enough water to rinse 'em.....
Back to the van, and grilled bacon, fried eggs, tomatoes and fried bread.
With plenty of hot tea!
As soon as we'd finished, the sun came out. Very brightly and warmly too.
Ok! Off we went to Hustanton, about 16 miles in the opposite direction from
the trip the day before.
To the Norfolk Lavender place first. We were about the first ones there, so
it was lovely and peaceful whilst we roamed around the gardens and the shop.
I bought some lily-of-the-valley handcream and a bar of lavender soap.
Wonderful smell everywhere, relaxing music playing.....
sigh expensive though.
Of course we had to visit the tea-room, where I had a 'licious ham'n'mustard
sandwich, Ian had turkey, and we shared a huge slab of cranberry and carrot
cake. sigh again!
......with hot tea again of course!
Back to Hunstanton town, and again the lovely long haul through the shops.
We found
also another car-boot sale, (yum!) and spent ages happily wandering about
the large site in the sunshine. Didn't find anything we wanted though.
We then explored Brancaster beach very briefly, as it was 2.50 just to
park, so we didn't, and Brancaster quay, which was small but pretty. And
free.
Then we went back to the 'van and had lunch. Cold meat we'd taken
with us plus a big pile of bought chippies. And loads of hot tea. How do
caravanners manage without loads of hot tea? They don't, of course.
Sadly, soon after that, we had to think about coming home. Ian went off to
find petrol.....problem! Very few petrol stations are open on Sundays around
there. He had to drive about 20 miles to fill up, and then it wasn't the
petrol he really wanted.....leaded 4 star. So he got unleaded and we hoped
for the best....
Whilst he was doing that, I have to admit I fell asleep......
Then it was madly chucking things into boxes, shoving things on the floor,
and setting off for home.
:-( oh yes, checking gas was off, steadies up, handbrake off...and that I
had my fags with me.....
There was a short panic when I thought I'd left them in the 'van, already
with
the steadies up, so he had to put 'em down again, and then me finding 'em
in my bag all the time.....
hanging head
We left about 5pm, and set off home.
We stopped at a 'Little Chef' for a cuppa tea and a toasted tea-cake
half-way home, and arrived home around 8 o'clock.
Downstairs is still covered in caravanny bits.....I suppose I'd better tidy
up....

Irene

Old October 6th 03, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Irene Adler" wrote in message
We took the second trip in our 'van this weekend.
:-( oh yes, checking gas was off, steadies up, handbrake off...and that I
had my fags with me.....
There was a short panic when I thought I'd left them in the 'van, already
with
the steadies up, so he had to put 'em down again, and then me finding 'em
in my bag all the time.....

Yes, you're definitely hooked now :-) Glad you enjoyed your 'treat'. One
thing, why wind the steadies back down just to get in the 'van? An
unsupported 'van can tilt if someone gets in but there are two easy ways to
avoid putting the steadies down again. One is to hitch up to the car, the
other is to have someone sit on the hitch-head as a counterbalancing force
while you are inside. We do this all the time when we forget things - not
me of course, I'm perfect, it's that wife of mine.

Old October 6th 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"Sigmund" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah Right))))

Ophelia

Old October 6th 03, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

"Irene Adler" wrote in message
We took the second trip in our 'van this weekend.
The first trip was a test, and this one was a treat, so we ate out a lot
which of course we won't be able to afford to do again for a bit!
The journey took 2 1/2 hours and was stress-free. My map-reading was
faultless (amazing!) and we found the site first go.

We've just had a week in Norfolk, stayed at the Moorland site at Alymerton
near Cromer. I can recommend it 100%, the nicest site I have ever been on,
and for us the icing on the cake was no kids, it's an adult only site. As
you say there are some caravan shops in the area, Caravan and Camping at
West Runton, the one that also sells boats at Sheringham, a camp shop in
Sheringham, which is anoher branch of Caravan and Camping.

I hadn't been to Wells since I had a boat moored there in the late sixties.
We used to be able to pull up on the quay in the car, right next to the
boat. No yellow lines or restrictions. Now they would charge you to walk
if they could. I was quite dissapointed with Wells, remembering it how it
used to be.

On the road into Wells is a place that has some caravan "wrecks" for sale, I
suppose selling them is cheaper than getting them scrapped. Inside the shop
reminded me of Auntie Wainwrights in Last of the Summer Wine. I don't think
she had anything in there under 30 years old! It was interesting though.

Glad you had a good week.

Bill

Old October 6th 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BM

"Irene Adler" wrote in message

Snip

: I clasped my crispy duck and Ian's Cantonese chicken to my bosom
: lovingly.....(It's a fat bosom, and very warm....)
:

I would like to know more about those bosoms

BM.

Old October 6th 03, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:37:02 +0100, "Irene Adler"
wrote:

We stopped at a 'Little Chef' for a cuppa tea and a toasted tea-cake
half-way home, and arrived home around 8 o'clock.

You enjoyed yourself then,the sort of experiences you relate are what
keeps me caravanning after so long. Did you enjoy parking at the
Little Chef, it's unusual for them to leave enough room anywhere to
easily turn the car and caravan in. When we do it we generally end up
taking up enough room for 4.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 6th 03, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:47:20 +0100, "Sigmund"
wrote:

We do this all the time when we forget things - not
me of course, I'm perfect, it's that wife of mine.

WE'll believe you, thousands wouldn't. G But the advice was good.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 6th 03, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Irene Adler

"Sigmund" wrote in message

[...]

Sitting on the hitch-head is a very good idea. Wish we'd thought of that!
And of course I could've/ should've waited until the car was hitched up,
obviously lack of nicotine was affecting my thinking....

Irene

Old October 6th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Irene Adler

"Bill" wrote in message

"Irene Adler" wrote in message
We took the second trip in our 'van this weekend.
The first trip was a test, and this one was a treat, so we ate out a lot
which of course we won't be able to afford to do again for a bit!
The journey took 2 1/2 hours and was stress-free. My map-reading was
faultless (amazing!) and we found the site first go.

I hadn't been to Wells since I had a boat moored there in the late

sixties.
On the road into Wells is a place that has some caravan "wrecks" for sale,

suppose selling them is cheaper than getting them scrapped. Inside the

shop
reminded me of Auntie Wainwrights in Last of the Summer Wine. I don't

think
she had anything in there under 30 years old! It was interesting though.

We went there! It was good fun looking at all the dusty stuff! Goodness
knows what you might find in there.

Glad you had a good week.

Thank you Bill, we're definitely hooked now!

Irene

Old October 6th 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Irene Adler

"BM" wrote in message

"Irene Adler" wrote in message

Snip

: I clasped my crispy duck and Ian's Cantonese chicken to my bosom
: lovingly.....(It's a fat bosom, and very warm....)
:

I would like to know more about those bosoms

BM.

Errrr........ well, there's two of them.....