Advice on camping for the disabled (XPost)

Old April 23rd 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Bryan Hall

Default Advice on camping for the disabled (XPost)

I've been asked to recommend a tent suitable for erection and occupation by
a wheelchair user.
i.e need to be able to use the chair inside - so height is relevant

The normal fibreglass pole/sleeve approach is a difficulty, and throwing a
flysheet over the top is right out.

Only idea I can come up with is the Kyham style of pop up tent, but I seem
to remember a design with blow up "ribs" from a few years ago - these still
around?

Alternatively any ideas on specific designs, or better still a maker/tent
recommendation.
The camping won't be solo, but the independence of the camper is important.

Thanks for any help on this one - got me stumped
Dorzet

Old April 24th 04, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Fran

said...
Only idea I can come up with is the Kyham style of pop up tent, but I seem
to remember a design with blow up "ribs" from a few years ago - these still
around?

Is this the sort of thing you mean?
http://www.euronet.nl/~rja/Camping/tent-e.html
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.
Old April 24th 04, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
T.

"Fran" wrote in message
t...
said...
Only idea I can come up with is the Kyham style of pop up tent, but I

seem
to remember a design with blow up "ribs" from a few years ago - these

still
around?

Is this the sort of thing you mean?
http://www.euronet.nl/~rja/Camping/tent-e.html
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

The above looks good.......Trust me I would not recommend a Khyam for a
wheelchair user......

Old April 24th 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Paul Robson

Bryan Hall wrote:

I've been asked to recommend a tent suitable for erection and occupation
by a wheelchair user.
i.e need to be able to use the chair inside - so height is relevant

The normal fibreglass pole/sleeve approach is a difficulty, and throwing a
flysheet over the top is right out.

Only idea I can come up with is the Kyham style of pop up tent, but I seem
to remember a design with blow up "ribs" from a few years ago - these
still around?

Alternatively any ideas on specific designs, or better still a maker/tent
recommendation.
The camping won't be solo, but the independence of the camper is
important.

Thanks for any help on this one - got me stumped
Dorzet

There's a dutch firm that sells an inflatable tent (Karsten ?) which looks
to be relatively easy from a disabled viewpoint. I think they come with an
electric pump, and are modular.

I appreciate the independence of the camper issue. I would wonder if the
problems might occur in repacking the tent in its bag (or a larger bag
even).

Old April 24th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
kqr

In article [email protected], wrote

I've been asked to recommend a tent suitable for erection and occupation by
a wheelchair user.
i.e need to be able to use the chair inside - so height is relevant

The normal fibreglass pole/sleeve approach is a difficulty, and throwing a
flysheet over the top is right out.

Only idea I can come up with is the Kyham style of pop up tent, but I seem
to remember a design with blow up "ribs" from a few years ago - these still
around?

Alternatively any ideas on specific designs, or better still a maker/tent
recommendation.
The camping won't be solo, but the independence of the camper is important.

Thanks for any help on this one - got me stumped
Dorzet

http://www.campingdirect.co.uk/

[Copy and paste the following into your browser]

http://www.kompass.co.uk/searchframe...t= PRORECH&_S
ecteur=SOC&_Nbpage=1&_Pgdebut=1&_Level=&_Prod=&_De scription=&_Typerech=&_Choice=produ
ct&_Version=&_Lang=en&_Langrech=en&_KProv=GB010&_S earchURL=http%3A//www.kompass.com/k
inl/cgi-bin/KINL_PROaction.cgi&_Keyword=Tents,+rib-
supported,+inflatable,+rubber&_Choix=PS&_Zone=GB

http://www.walter.fr/modular_tents.htm

http://www.airegroup.com/

The last one might be suitable for you but I think you are looking at
a lot of dosh mate.

Are you intending to camp alone? If not then an able bodied person with
you might solve the problem. However, were someonr to request assistance
in errecting a tent and I were either on site or available, then I'd be
happy to help. I am sure most others would be as well.

HTH

Old April 24th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
John and Pauline at Thornbury[_2_]

As someone similarly affected albeit not all the time-I heartily recommend a
Vaude Hogan.
John.
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

--
No direct reply option available.
news:[email protected]

Old April 24th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Bryan Hall

Any particular model - I think the ceiling height may be a consideration

"John and Pauline at Thornbury" wrote in message
As someone similarly affected albeit not all the time-I heartily recommend

Vaude Hogan.
John.
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

--
No direct reply option available.
news:[email protected]

Old April 24th 04, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Fran

said...
[Copy and paste the following into your browser]

Alternatively, try this much easier version:
http://tinyurl.com/2xuen
Old April 25th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Bryan Hall

Thanks for all the ideas - the NG's come up tops again!

news:[email protected]