Stopping in European Lay-bys

Old April 28th 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Blaze

Default Stopping in European Lay-bys

Hi

We are going to rent a High Line Coach built camper for two weeks in
summer.. (anybody know of any budget deals around)

Is there a list of Lay-bys or parking areas in Europe where you can park for
the night either with or without facilities..

France, Belgium, Nederland's, Germany......

I saw some a couple of years ago that had drains for dumping the toilets and
such..

can you jut pull over on the side of a road and stay the night ?

How about shopping centre carparks

thanks for the help

Old April 28th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Pool Champ

"Blaze" wrote in message

Hi

We are going to rent a High Line Coach built camper for two weeks in
summer.. (anybody know of any budget deals around)

Is there a list of Lay-bys or parking areas in Europe where you can park

for
the night either with or without facilities..

France, Belgium, Nederland's, Germany......

I saw some a couple of years ago that had drains for dumping the toilets

and
such..

can you jut pull over on the side of a road and stay the night ?

How about shopping centre carparks

thanks for the help

How good is your French ? This page should give you some ideas. Got
locations and pictures of laybys etc.
http://campingcar.enliberte.free.fr/...c/03c_fr-d.htm
PC

Old April 29th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
milltech

I have stopped for the night in motorway service areas without a problem,
gossip has it that the French are pretty OK about camping where you like,
ther are always a few on the sea front at Calais that you can see as the
ferry comes in, imagine trying to do that in Bournemouth!

I did move to the other carriageway service area after seeing loads of
illegals trying to break into a UK truck on the port-going side of the last
service area before Calais. I guess you must be careful.

J.

Old April 30th 04, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:10:36 +0200, martin
wrote:

I am not sure how safe you are camping in France in a lay-by.

How safe are you camping anywhere? (rhetorical question)

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old April 30th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Blaze

"martin" wrote in message

wrote:

I am not sure how safe you are camping in France in a lay-by.

How safe are you camping anywhere? (rhetorical question)

dunno, the summer I used somebody's caravan, whilst I was working in
Toulouse, two brothers had been slitting the throats of campers,
whilst they slept, in the same area. I certainly wouldn't have slept
with the door and all the windows open if I had known at the time.

Is this the same group that was putting sleeping gas into the campervans
before robbing them ?

Old May 1st 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article ,
says...

"unidentified
gas" , "a UK driver",
"near Nimes" ,"The load
(tobacco) however, was not touched"

"The use of gas
cannot be confirmed"

What's missing here? Oh yes! Details or reports by the police of it
happening,

One would expect to find that in Italy not on this web site?

I would expect to read something of the order " Inspector Clousaue of the
Surete was quote as saying, theeyy are treeing to meek a minkey of meh!"

or insurance companies,

I think you are talking ******** if you expect a report to mention the
name of an insurance company. Can you provide an example of any
traffic accident news report that quotes the name of the car owners
insurance?

I would expect to be able to find a caution from insurance companines
mentioning the problem if it existed.

or in fact anyone apart from a web
site.

and the web address and the name of the organisation that runs the
website, which is clearly reporting problems for professional
truckers.

It's a webstory , repeated endlesly via a friend of a friend etc... I
have been hearign it for at least 4-5 years with never, ever any evidence
apart from nebulous sources. IMHO it's based on French anti immigrant
feeling and has the same amount of truth as the UK 70's stories of dogs
and cats going missing near Chinese restaraunts.
Old May 2nd 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
GeoffC

Pool Champ wrote:
"Blaze" wrote in message

Hi

We are going to rent a High Line Coach built camper for two weeks in
summer.. (anybody know of any budget deals around)

Is there a list of Lay-bys or parking areas in Europe where you can
park for the night either with or without facilities..

France, Belgium, Nederland's, Germany......

I saw some a couple of years ago that had drains for dumping the
toilets and such..

can you jut pull over on the side of a road and stay the night ?

How about shopping centre carparks

thanks for the help

How good is your French ? This page should give you some ideas. Got
locations and pictures of laybys etc.
http://campingcar.enliberte.free.fr/...c/03c_fr-d.htm
PC

Belgium, keep going you'll be in France or Germany soon, Netherlands, not
permitted to camp at roadside, Germany, plenty of Autohofs, look here :
http://www.autohof-guide.de/start.htm

--

Geoff