Campsites in Black Mountains

Old April 30th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Damon

Default Campsites in Black Mountains

Hi guys,
have just subscribed - looks good so far.

Anybody reccommend any good campsites for lads just after a weekend on a
campsite where there are showers and it's allowed to have a fire?

We got a great one near Ross on Wye for canoeing weekends but this time we
want to go up into the black mountains.

Cheers
Damon

Old May 4th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Titley

Try the Hollybush, near Hay on Wye. Not sure about the fires, though I did
see some burnt patches! They're just digging?/building? access to the river
for canoes etc.
Behind a pub, not too far from the nightlife of Hay!

Old May 5th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jclarke

"Damon" wrote in message
Hi guys,
have just subscribed - looks good so far.

Anybody reccommend any good campsites for lads just after a weekend on a
campsite where there are showers and it's allowed to have a fire?

We got a great one near Ross on Wye for canoeing weekends but this time we
want to go up into the black mountains.

Cheers
Damon

Yes We went to Hollybush two weekends ago - great place and you can have fires

J C
Old May 6th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Damon

Fantastic! I'll try and find their number. Do they have any facilities or
is it a field based site? Not too bothered, mind you a loo would be good!

Cheers Guys. We're going down on 21st May.

How was the river? Any of you do any canoeing too? We're thinking about it
but might head up into the mountains instead.

Damon

om...

Old May 7th 04, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Ian

Try the Hollybush, near Hay on Wye. Not sure about the fires, though I
did
see some burnt patches!

Fantastic! I'll try and find their number. Do they have any facilities

or
is it a field based site? Not too bothered, mind you a loo would be good!

Cheers Guys. We're going down on 21st May.

have a look at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/de...asp?revid=4562 ,
should find all the details there

Old May 8th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
MatSav

On Thu, 6 May 2004 20:27:43 +0000 (UTC), "Damon"
wrote:

Fantastic! I'll try and find their number. Do they have any facilities or
is it a field based site? Not too bothered, mind you a loo would be good!

The Hollybush Inn:

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference SO 1988 4036. On the B4350 between
Glasbury and Hay. Telephone 01497 847371. 4 per person per night for
camping. Some electric hook-ups for caravans.

Ask for Chris, or Felicity, or Barbara, or Ian, or Mary. A wonderful
"crowd" of people who have recently (27 February) bought the pub and
camp site. Toilets, showers (one in the gent's, two in the ladies) and
water points. Fires do seem to be allowed, but they are tending to
damage the grass :-( - as did the caravan rally that was held during
the Bank Holiday weekend. However, if you keep your eyes peeled, and
you're up early enough, you'll see Barbara going skinny-dipping in the
River Wye :-)

Be prepared for some strange prices at the bar! 5.25 for 11 pints???
(OK, I told Chris he'd got it wrong :-) )

The Sirloin Steak on the food menu was 7.50 last Friday and Saturday;
Sunday, the price had risen to 9.95! Mary is "market testing" at the
moment, and realised that at the lower price, they were making a loss
on the dish!

Ham, egg and chips @4.50 was on the menu, but unavailable due to a
lack of ham! Ian then tried to give a 0.50 refund because the order
was changed to roast lamb instead - but the lamb was priced at 7.95!
And... we hadn't paid yet!!

Another customer had ordered the lamb shank with olives and spinach -
but, apparantly, the unfortunate sheep didn't have any legs! (i.e.
they ran out of meat).

The menu is quite varied though, and if they've run out of something,
there will be an alternative. Vegetarian options available.

If the site is busy, you MUST be at a table in the bar by 6:30pm to
retain a seat for the evening, especially if you're in a large group.
We were asked if we could possibly move, because there were people
waiting to eat who didn't have a table to sit at! So, we had to order
desert as well - Rhubarb "soup", anyone? (Actually, puree'd rhubarb
with Cointreau and vanilla sorbet).The evening will extend well beyond
the 11pm closing time - and if you play a guitar, or harmonica, or
similar, a "jamming" session wouldn't be stopped! Cheerful songs only,
please :-)

Cheers Guys. We're going down on 21st May.

Shouldn't be too busy. The following week will be very crowded - see
http://www.hayfestival.com/2004/

How was the river?

Cold. And wet. :-)

Any of you do any canoeing too?

That was the sole purpose of my visit!

We're thinking about it
but might head up into the mountains instead.

If you're intending to hire canoes, bouyancy aids, etc - try Wye
Valley Canoes at Glasbury

www.wyevalleycanoes.co.uk/main.htm

As to walking, you might like to try The Begwns instead of the Black
Mountains. Not quite so severe, but still interesting views (and wild
camping) - SO 1548 4435 for one of the peaks. Road access is good, but
not busy. Beware - the roads are steep, and with sharp bends! If you
want to see a very old church, go to St David's at Rhulen - SO 1377
4983 - reputedly the second oldest church in Wales. The door, in
vertical profile, is coffin-shaped - because it's so small, the
coffins had to stand vertically to get through the door!

Hope this helps - enjoy your weekend! Thoroughly recommended.

--
MatSav

Old May 17th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Darren S

The Langorse Climbing and Riding Center provides facilities for camping if
you dont mind a slightly hilly site (Tents Only). There are no details on
the web site (http://www.activityuk.com/) so you will need to phone up or
email to get more details.
You have to share the showers and toilets with the climbing center but they
are clean and well looked after. Its cheap also but no fires and cars have
to be parked at the top of the camp site but this shouldnt be a problem.
Lovley site with nice views.