Large tent pitches

Old May 5th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Wainscotting

Default Large tent pitches

I am likely to have any problems getting a pitch with a large tent? I have
read some stories about people being
charged for two or even three pitches for large tents. I have also heard
that some sites would not accomodate tents over 4/5 berth at peak times. Is
this likely to be a problem? Has anyone any experience of getting pitches
for larger tents? It would occupy roughly an area of 6.9m x 5.4 (22.5 x
17.5').

Old May 6th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines[_2_]

"Wainscotting" wrote in message
I am likely to have any problems getting a pitch with a large tent? I have
read some stories about people being
charged for two or even three pitches for large tents. I have also heard
that some sites would not accomodate tents over 4/5 berth at peak times.

Is
this likely to be a problem? Has anyone any experience of getting pitches
for larger tents? It would occupy roughly an area of 6.9m x 5.4 (22.5 x
17.5').

I had a Sunncamp Chateaux 6 (Large Frame Tent) with Sun Canopy, and have
never had any problems.

If I was pre-booking a pitch (recommended at most sites) I made sure I told
them I had a big one, to make sure I was allocated a decent size pitch.

Andy

Old May 6th 04, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Andy Vines
writes

"Wainscotting" wrote in message
I am likely to have any problems getting a pitch with a large tent? I have
read some stories about people being
charged for two or even three pitches for large tents. I have also heard
that some sites would not accomodate tents over 4/5 berth at peak times.

Is
this likely to be a problem? Has anyone any experience of getting pitches
for larger tents? It would occupy roughly an area of 6.9m x 5.4 (22.5 x
17.5').

I had a Sunncamp Chateaux 6 (Large Frame Tent) with Sun Canopy, and have
never had any problems.

We have a large Kyham (about 7x5m + guys) We've not had a problem so
far, but have only camped on a few sites in the UK so far with it.

There is a possibility of it going to Union Lido in Italy next year.
Father in law has been investigating and it sounds like it might be a
bit big for their pitches.
--
Chris French

Old May 6th 04, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 5 May 2004 18:17:10 +0100, "Wainscotting"
wrote in message :

I am likely to have any problems getting a pitch with a large tent?

All pitches are large if you arrive early ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 6th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , "Just zis Guy,
you know?" writes
wrote in message :

I am likely to have any problems getting a pitch with a large tent?

All pitches are large if you arrive early ;-)

Hi Guy :-)

It's ok on sites where there aren't allocated pitch areas - lots of UK
sites are like this.

But there are sites, they seem more common on mainland Europe, where
pitches are marked out already
--
Chris French

Old May 7th 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Gio

Hi all,
Within the Uk over the past 40+ years we have not had a problem, but then we
do not often go on the large commercial sites that allocate a small
sectioned off area on which you must pitch your tent, lay up your trailer
have an eating and play area plus park your car.

Our experience of Europe is a little different and everything is organised
with marked out plots and small hedges etc. Often the larger sites do not
allow you to park your car on the pitch (the pitch is too small anyway) and
the plots were on av about 7 x 7m which may seem enough but it is tight and
you often see people with their bbq's stuck right on the edge of their
plots. Last year we bought a 6 birth dome type tent so we did not have to
take our trailer and often had problems with assembling the long fibreglass
struts and pushing them through the tent canvas without spearing your
neighbours, pitched on the other side of the narrow roadways. -I know you
can assemble them section by section, but having them in one length was
easier for the family to work as a team and feed the pole through the
fabric-.

Gio

I am likely to have any problems getting a pitch with a large tent?

All pitches are large if you arrive early ;-)

:-)

---

Old May 7th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 7 May 2004 18:24:01 +0100, "Gio" x wrote in message
:

Within the Uk over the past 40+ years we have not had a problem, but then we
do not often go on the large commercial sites that allocate a small
sectioned off area on which you must pitch your tent, lay up your trailer
have an eating and play area plus park your car.

Same here. Just as well, realy - our bikes alone take up more space
than the average tent ;-)

Old May 7th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , "Just zis Guy,
you know?" writes
On Fri, 7 May 2004 18:24:01 +0100, "Gio" x wrote in message
:

Within the Uk over the past 40+ years we have not had a problem, but then we
do not often go on the large commercial sites that allocate a small
sectioned off area on which you must pitch your tent, lay up your trailer
have an eating and play area plus park your car.

Same here. Just as well, realy - our bikes alone take up more space
than the average tent ;-)

In the rather large tent we bought last year, we could probably get our
Mondeo estate and bikes etc. with space to spare :-)

Have to pitch it over the top though....
--
Chris French

Old May 8th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 7 May 2004 23:32:52 +0100, chris French
wrote in message
:

In the rather large tent we bought last year, we could probably get our
Mondeo estate and bikes etc. with space to spare :-)
Have to pitch it over the top though....

The tent we used to keep at home when I were a lad would easily have
accommodated all our bikes, the car (a Volvo estate, tha knows) *and*
our family tent, plus you could have got in and out after pitching.
It wasn't ours, thobut - we were the custodians simply because my
parents had the only house with a living room large and high enough to
hang up a marquee to dry after a wet camp :-)