hi, newbie here

Old May 7th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna

Default hi, newbie here

Hi all,

I've been reading all your posts for a couple of days and you seem like a
friendly bunch.

I've only been camping once, when I was a child, but really did enjoy it. I
have now bought a tent and all the camping paraphernalia that I can think of
and would like to venture out on my first trip, now that the weather has
improved.

The situation is that I have a daughter, not quite four years old and a
small dog (very well behaved) and although my boyfriend has been camping
many times I was wondering if there was any advice you can give or if there
is an FAQ for the group.

I was thinking of staying somewhere pretty close to home for the first trip,
in case my daughter doesn't take to it, but any other advice would be very
much appreciated, as I am quite nervous and would like it to be a very
positive experience, hopefully one of many.

thanks in advance

anna

Old May 7th 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Colin Dawson

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:40:48 +0100, "Anna"
wrote:

[...]

put the tent up in your garden first. I think all kids love being in a
tent.
--
Martin

Then spray it down with a hose for a while - last thing you want is a leak!

Colin.

Old May 8th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_5_]

I think the biggest problem here is VERY SERIOUS:

You wont be able to tolerate the following question after the first camping
trip;

"MUM.... WHEN ARE WE CAMPING AGAIN" !!!!!!!!!!

Go on.... have fun....she will love it.

JK

Old May 8th 04, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message
:

I was thinking of staying somewhere pretty close to home for the first trip,
in case my daughter doesn't take to it,

Risk is low, I would say. Mud, bacon sandwiches, sleeping in a tent
with Mum and Dad - there is no downside!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 9th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

Well.... apart from taking one more change of clothing than she'll needg
(I don't know *how* people manage that! We've travelled home in our undies before
now!) ....
... you might want to run your equipment list past the experts here (unless you
already googled for the last equipment thread)...

Warmth, I think is the key. The first couple of times take more bedding than you
think you could possibly need. There's nothing worse than waking up blue with cold in
a tent.

The main thing is just to have fun though:-)

Come back & tell us how it went, won't you:-)

Liz

Old May 10th 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Loft

martin wrote:

put the tent up in your garden first. I think all kids love being in a
tent.

And Bengal cats, apparently. We're thinking of taking him with us next
time...

--
Steve Loft
Old May 11th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom.

I would put the tent up in the garden first, but unfortunately the garden
looks like an unexplored jungle at the mo, that's one of the reasons I
thought of going somewhere that's only like 30 mins drive away.

I think we've got most things now, tent, stove and pans, chairs, sleeping
bags, eating utensils, ice bags? maps, portable tv (for the drive) lights,
water containers, even a travel salt and pepper shaker. I think the only
couple of things we are missing are a fold away table and a second meths
burner (for safety sakes).

If you do think there is anything major missing feel free to tell me,
although I've proberbly missed a couple of things we've got off the list. I
think it's proberbly a good thing that I've got my daughter coming, as it's
the most prepared I've ever been (not one of my strong points).

Oh, I was wondering, would a cat not run off if you took it camping? Are
bengal cats more like dogs in that respect?

Thanks again all.

anna

Old May 11th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:15:06 +0100, Anna
wrote:

I think we've got most things now, tent, stove and pans, chairs, sleeping
bags, eating utensils, ice bags? maps, portable tv (for the drive) lights,
water containers, even a travel salt and pepper shaker. I think the only
couple of things we are missing are a fold away table and a second meths
burner (for safety sakes).

You want something to go under those sleeping bags. Roll mats or
something - you'll need them unless you're pitching on a bowling
green... and even then you might find it firm.

Oh, I was wondering, would a cat not run off if you took it camping? Are
bengal cats more like dogs in that respect?

Saw a family with their pet cat camping in the New Forest a couple of
years back. The cat was on a lead. I kept expecting to see it hung from
a tree, you know what cats are like. I certainly wouldn't take mine
camping, he's scared of his own shadow and he'd run & hide, we'd never
find him again... and he'd try to sharpen his claws on the tent.

--
Justin C, by the sea.