Meths Burners

Old May 9th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rory Manton

Default Meths Burners

Can anybody tell me if you can get meths in larger quantities than the didy
little 500mlts bottles and from where, and a source of naptha fuel for
Coleman cookers rather than pay 4.99 for 500mlts please?
Yes I know i'm a tight wad but it must be cheeper somewhere.

--
Your help is, as always, greatfully receved.

Rory Manton

1957 109 Series One, Daisy
1965 Series 11 SWB GS , Rose.

Old May 10th 04, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Craven

"Rory Manton" wrote in message
Can anybody tell me if you can get meths in larger quantities than the

didy
little 500mlts bottles and from where, and a source of naptha fuel for
Coleman cookers rather than pay 4.99 for 500mlts please?
Yes I know i'm a tight wad but it must be cheeper somewhere.

--
Your help is, as always, greatfully receved.

Rory Manton

1957 109 Series One, Daisy
1965 Series 11 SWB GS , Rose.

I use a Trangia, I found a local DIY shop that sells meths in 5 litre
bottles, so I just top up my fuel bottle before I go.

Old May 10th 04, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Rory Manton :
Can anybody tell me if you can get meths in larger quantities than the didy
little 500mlts bottles and from where, and a source of naptha fuel for
Coleman cookers rather than pay 4.99 for 500mlts please?
Yes I know i'm a tight wad but it must be cheeper somewhere.

Find a good hardware store. We buy ours in 4 litre containers, and for
anything over a week we need more than a small bottle anyway. Since it's
difficult to pour into the burner from a 4 litre container, we take an
old 750ml meths bottle and just refill it as we go.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old May 11th 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

Wilkinsons are selling 500ml meths now at 1.19 which is down from 1.49. I
would be interested in a suppler of naptha fuel as well.

Richard

Old May 11th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil

On Sun, 09 May 2004 19:30:35 +0100, Rory Manton
wrote:

Can anybody tell me if you can get meths in larger quantities than the didy
little 500mlts bottles and from where, and a source of naptha fuel for
Coleman cookers rather than pay 4.99 for 500mlts please?
Yes I know i'm a tight wad but it must be cheeper somewhere.

My local camping supplies store sells meths in 5 litre plastic
containers, as does my local independent hardware store.

Unfortunately Coleman fuel can no longer be bought over the counter in
containers larger than 500ml, although I remember when it could be
bought in gallon cans. If your Coleman appliance can use unleaded
petrol, I would recommend doing so.

Neil

Old May 12th 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Richard Baker :
Wilkinsons are selling 500ml meths now at 1.19 which is down from 1.49. I
would be interested in a suppler of naptha fuel as well.

That's still very expensive compared to the cost of a 4 litre
container. I wish I could remember how much I paid last time, but
it wasn't 8 * 1.19.

Adrian

Old May 12th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:42:03 +0000 (UTC), Neil
wrote:

[snip]

If your Coleman appliance can use unleaded
petrol, I would recommend doing so.

But don't use the cheap unleaded, use the premium stuff otherwise you'll
be running on a yellow flame and everything will take twice as long to
cook, you'll get black utensils. Mine has only just recovered, I fixed
it by running it on Coleman fuel the last trip, once 500ml had gone
through things improved greatly.

I was thinking of adding a 500ml can of Coleman fuel to the petrol in
the 5L can we keep for the Coleman (no, it doesn't use that much but
it's easier to buy in that quantity)... say, fill up with 4.5L of
unleaded then top that up with the Coleman. My theory is that it'll give
the petrol a bit more oomph and therefore be better all round. Anyone
think it's a bad idea?

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 12th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

"Justin C" wrote in message
emon.co.uk...
On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:42:03 +0000 (UTC), Neil
wrote:

[snip]

If your Coleman appliance can use unleaded
petrol, I would recommend doing so.

But don't use the cheap unleaded, use the premium stuff otherwise you'll
be running on a yellow flame and everything will take twice as long to
cook, you'll get black utensils. Mine has only just recovered, I fixed
it by running it on Coleman fuel the last trip, once 500ml had gone
through things improved greatly.

I was thinking of adding a 500ml can of Coleman fuel to the petrol in
the 5L can we keep for the Coleman (no, it doesn't use that much but
it's easier to buy in that quantity)... say, fill up with 4.5L of
unleaded then top that up with the Coleman. My theory is that it'll give
the petrol a bit more oomph and therefore be better all round. Anyone
think it's a bad idea?

--
Justin C, by the sea.

My coleman stove burns a constant orange flame now and i though t it was due
to carbon build up... do you know if running something like injector cleaner
or engine flush through it would improve it??? my other option is to buy a
new generator...

Old May 12th 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:26:07 GMT, Roebear
wrote:

My coleman stove burns a constant orange flame now and i though t it was due
to carbon build up... do you know if running something like injector cleaner
or engine flush through it would improve it??? my other option is to buy a
new generator...

I'd strip it down and soak the relevant parts in parafin for a couple of
days, it should help loosen any deposits therein, then rinse it through
with parafin (or give it a good swish about in a bowl of the stuff) to
remove anything loosened. Leave it all to dry then re-assemble. If that
doesn't do it then it's a new generator .... that said, you may consider
a new generator a more simple option - sometimes it's just easier to
spend the money and be done with it.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 12th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Richard Baker :
Wilkinsons are selling 500ml meths now at 1.19 which is down from
1.49. I
would be interested in a suppler of naptha fuel as well.

That's still very expensive compared to the cost of a 4 litre
container. I wish I could remember how much I paid last time, but
it wasn't 8 * 1.19.

Adrian

I converted my old coleman stove to run on unleaded petrol like it's younger
cousins do ,at 75 pence ish a litre that is cheap enough for me . The
conversion was done by replacing the complete valve and generator assembly
with spares from an unleaded stove it works fine .
--
Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1