awesome torch

Old May 10th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave Turvey

Default awesome torch

this is ideal for the camping community, small ultra lightweight and
extremely usefull!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MESSE:IT

Old May 11th 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:47:23 +0100, Dave Turvey
wrote:
this is ideal for the camping community, small ultra lightweight and
extremely usefull!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MESSE:IT

PLONL

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 11th 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:14:14 +0200, martin
wrote:

wrote:
this is ideal for the camping community, small ultra lightweight and
extremely usefull!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ame=LOADOFSPAM

PLONL

PLONL? :-)

It was a tupo, I git thr wronh kry. It shpyld hsve beem PLONK byt mu
fongers mussed.

HTH!

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 11th 04, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim[_2_]

emon.co.uk...

wrote:
this is ideal for the camping community, small ultra lightweight and
extremely usefull!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ame=LOADOFSPAM

PLONL

PLONL? :-)

It was a tupo, I git thr wronh kry. It shpyld hsve beem PLONK byt mu
fongers mussed.

HTH!

--
Justin C, by the sea.

What's PLONK mean, beside cheap French wine?

Old May 12th 04, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article ,
says...
--

What's PLONK mean, beside cheap French wine?

It means that someone has just been PLONKED! into the killfile!
Old May 12th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Jim wrote:

"marc" marccdimspamremovedimspamto wrote in
message ...
In article ,
says...
--

What's PLONK mean, beside cheap French wine?

It means that someone has just been PLONKED! into the killfile!

Killfile? What the F*** (I mean Heck) is a killfile.

It's amazing! Just a few weeks ago this NG was all gas mantles and sleeping
bags and now we have all sorts of Cyber-babble creeping in. Why isn't
someone allowed tell us about products which might be useful to us, after
all isn't this why we're here?

Becauise the person in question wasn't trying to help anyone but
himself. Mr Turvey was trying to sell his torch on Ebay, he is also
trying to sell a "camping tool" . In short he's not using this NG as a
way to chat about camping or swap information he's using it as a
marketing tool. In another NG NGs were described as pubs, but without a
landlord. You have a bunch of regulars, in jokes, conversations that
crop up frequently etc... In most pubs people buy and sell things off
each other( when it crops up in conversation) recomend things, tell
stories, comment on prouducts they have used or want to use. In most
pubs it sold be seen as very poor taste and pushy if someone walked in ,
didn't get to know everyone, but simply started saying " I have XYZ for
sale" . IMHO they would quickly be cold shouldered. The NG equivelant is
a killfile

I've done it plenty of times on this NG, I've recommended different
products and asked for, and accepted, advice from other contributors. Does
that mean in the future, if I do that, then I'll be killfiled, what ever
that is.

I don't think your in danger of beling plonked, unless you manage to
upset someone. Even if you do, the killfile , though it sounds fearsome
only means that the person that has killfiled you won't be able to read
your posts, everyone else will.

Somewhat confused and a little angry.
Jim

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types
Old May 12th 04, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim[_2_]

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:52:29 +0100, "Jim"
wrote:

"marc" marccdimspamremovedimspamto wrote

in
message ...
In article ,
says...
--

What's PLONK mean, beside cheap French wine?

It means that someone has just been PLONKED! into the killfile!

Killfile? What the F*** (I mean Heck) is a killfile.

It's amazing! Just a few weeks ago this NG was all gas mantles and

sleeping
bags and now we have all sorts of Cyber-babble creeping in. Why isn't
someone allowed tell us about products which might be useful to us, after
all isn't this why we're here?

because it's not a group for adverts, if you want to read adverts go
to e-bay and do it directly.

If somebody wants advice and asks then it's a different matter.

I've done it plenty of times on this NG, I've recommended different
products and asked for, and accepted, advice from other contributors.

Does
that mean in the future, if I do that, then I'll be killfiled, what ever
that is.

no but if every time someone posts something to e-bay it is announced
here then the rules are being broken. If the same person does it
frequently people who aren't interested might plonk him, others might
complain to his ISP.

Somewhat confused and a little angry.

If people don't want to read adverts in a group whose charter limits
advertising, they have the right to filter posts from senders, who
post adverts into the trash folder. They also have the right to
complain about abuse of the charter to the posters ISP

The charter is at
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.camping.html

the relevant bit says

"Advertising
Advertising is forbidden, with these exceptions:

Suppliers of goods and services relevant to camping in the UK may
post an invitation to visit their web site or request details. It
should be of four lines or fewer and not posted more than once every 3
months. The subject line should begin "ADVERT: "."

Note once ever 3 months not 3 times a week.

There are ways to modify charters, if people think the charter does
not represent what people want. This is done via unnc
uk.net.news.config .
Some groups have set up sub groups for non commercial adverts.
HTH
--
Martin

Thank you for the explanations and the analogies. It clears things up in my
mind now and I can see what you mean.

Jim

Old May 12th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:57:28 +0100, Jim
wrote:

[big big snip]

Thank you for the explanations and the analogies. It clears things up in my
mind now and I can see what you mean.

I'm surprised the amount of traffic five letters and a pair of angle
brackets has brought on!

I (and many others), when I killfile people always post a PLONK so the
person being killfiled knows and if they're unhappy about it they can
email me and we can discuss it.

As has already been commented, I did plonk purely for the reason that it
is a blatant commercial post.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 12th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:14:14 +0200, martin wrote in
message :

PLONL? :-)

It's where the post rolls round the sides of the bit bucket a couple
of times before falling in.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk