Tent Choice...Help!

Old May 14th 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Gripper Stebson

Default Tent Choice...Help!

I'm about to buy a tent for solo wild camping, but I want to occasionally
take my young kids along, so looking towards a 1-2 person lightweight job.
I don't want to spend a fortune, so I know I'll need to compromise on weight
versus space versus price. After a couple of weeks researching, my
remaining preferred options a

Name Weight Price Source
Terra Nova Solar 1.95kg 175 The Outdoor
Shop perhaps too small?
Terra Nova Voyager 2.6kg 250 Field & Trek
lovely
Vango Phantom 200 2.3kg 160 The Outdoor Shop
looks pretty good - how good though?
Wild Country Mistral 3.3kg 139 The Outdoor Shop
nice and cheap
Macpac Minaret 2.6kg 235 The Outdoor
Shop v popular but better than voyager?
Terra Nova Laser 1.29kg 199 The Outdoor
Shop perhaps a wee bit small/flyaway

Can anyone chuck in their tuppenceworth on the relative merits of the above
or any downsides you're aware of.

Many thanks.

Gripper

Old May 15th 04, 05:11 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paddy[_2_]

Keep an eye out for Lidl or Aldi they have very good quality bargains.
Paddy

news:[email protected]

Old May 15th 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Daytona[_2_]

"Gripper Stebson" wrote :

Can anyone chuck in their tuppenceworth on the relative merits of the above
or any downsides you're aware of.

Try the owner reviews here -
URL:http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/review.asp?sp=328533336200364336250&v=1

Daytona
Old May 15th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article ,
says...
[...]

Somehow I don't think that either will ever be selling good quality 2 man
tents that weigh less than 2 kilos.

Reading the answer before the question!

What's annoying about top posting?
Old May 16th 04, 06:34 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paddy[_2_]

Probable not the weight but there tents are very good value. I dont walk I
am afraid I drive to the campsite, set up and stay till we go so weight is
of no importance to me. But for value they are great.
Paddy
"marc" marccdimspamremovedimspamto wrote in
message .. .
In article ,

says...

Old May 16th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article ,
says...
[...]

But weight was the specific matter the OP was interested in.

Old May 16th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Gripper Stebson

But weight was the specific matter the OP was interested in.

Thanks Marc.

The Aldi and Lidl ones are all well and good. But I'm specifically looking
for a good, lightweight 3-4 season tent without breaking the bank.
I reckon I'm going to bite my lip and buy the TN Voyager on special offer at
250 from Field & Trek.

However if anyone has any specific reason to buy or not buy any of the tents
mentioned then I'd be v. interested.

By the way...register with F&T and you get 20% off (give or take some
smallprint). I'm going to get meself a Therm-a-Rest Prolite 4 (Short) for
about 40-odd quid. Huzzah ;-)

GS

Old May 17th 04, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

In article , marc wrote:

What's annoying about top posting?

Thats almost as annoying as a smartarse who doesn't trim his posts isn't it.

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
Old May 17th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Simon Barr wrote:

What's annoying about top posting?

Thats almost as annoying as a smartarse who doesn't trim his posts isn't it.

Almost, but of course the smartarse can't trim the posts because the
other end is the bit that he's replying to. The problem then is caused
by trying to show the relevance to other readers and contain the
topposters msg

The only other options are

top post
reply
previous top posts
previous replies

or

top post
reply

The first is confusing and the second is more work for the person
replying, and "it's easier" is the excuse used by most top posters so if
you want to use the second it shows that "it's easier" because the work
is shifted from the top poster to the people replyign to it

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk
Old May 17th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

In article , marc wrote:

The only other options are

top post
reply
previous top posts
previous replies

or

top post
reply

or

Don't get so uptight about top posters, and just ignore them! They
almost always don't care so you are wasting your breath (so to speak)

I agree top posting is a pain but there are more important things.