The price of progress...

Old May 17th 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anton Gibbs

Default The price of progress...

Tried my new Terra Nova Quasar two-man tent last weekend. It is good (should be for £400) - fantastic build quality but I can't get over the feeling that it is not quite as well thought out as my trusty old Phazor Dome which eventually had to be retired to the skip after 20+ years sterling service.

For example:
a.. Phazor Dome: doors tie up out of the way; Quasar: doors become part of the floor.
b.. Phazor Dome: two entrances and space to cook safely; Quasar: two entrances but flambe dishes tend to melt tent.
c.. Phazor Dome: fly-sheet first pitching then hook-in inner (handy for rare occasions when pitching in the rain); Quasar: inner first pitching then add fly-sheet.
d.. Phazor Dome: cotton inner; Quasar: nylon?
I think the Phazor Dome was lighter too. I must say, though, the Quasar is as solid as a rock once you get it up.

Is there anyone else here who shares my nostalgia for the good old Phazor Dome ? Why can't you get them any more ? Country's going to the dogs, mutter, Tony Blair, mutter, mutter...

Old May 18th 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

martin wrote:

Is there anyone else here who shares my nostalgia for the good old Phazor
Dome ? Why can't you get them any more ? Country's going to the dogs,
mutter, Tony Blair, mutter, mutter...

Some of us have nostalgia for the smell of mildew etc. emanating from
the good old non PC Black's green Niger.

Our Scout group still has a Niger, without mildew.

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk
Old May 18th 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:36:20 +0100, Anton Gibbs wrote:

Tried my new Terra Nova Quasar two-man tent but I can't get over the feeling that it is not quite as well thought out as my trusty old Phazor Dome.

a.. Phazor Dome: doors tie up out of the way; Quasar: doors become part of the floor.

There are ties to hold them rolled up at the bottom. I never use them
though. To keep the door out of the way I tuck it under my sleep mat.
One bonus is that when you do zip up the door you get a massive pocket
between the inner and outer doors to keep your torch in so you can
always find it. Mine always seems to get lost in the side pockets if I
put it there.

b.. Phazor Dome: two entrances and space to cook safely; Quasar: two entrances but flambe dishes tend to melt tent.

How often are you likely to be doing crepes suzettes? Get a more
controllable stove if yours is prone to flaring.

c.. Phazor Dome: fly-sheet first pitching then hook-in inner (handy for rare occasions when pitching in the rain); Quasar: inner first pitching then add fly-sheet.

It's really not a problem. When pitching in the rain you lay the fly
over the inner and thread the poles through under cover. Once you have
pitched it a few times in the dry you know what you are doing without
being able to see it.

d.. Phazor Dome: cotton inner; Quasar: nylon?

So it will dry quicker and not be as heavy

I think the Phazor Dome was lighter too. I must say, though, the Quasar is as solid as a rock once you get it up.

It ought to be. It is generally reckoned to be bombproof.

Is there anyone else here who shares my nostalgia for the good old Phazor Dome ? Why can't you get them any more ?

Companies come and go.

You could have tried a Hilleberg Tara. AKA bombproof.

Old May 18th 04, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

Anton Gibbs wrote:

For example:
a..¬*Phazor¬*Dome:¬*doors¬*tie¬*up¬*out¬*of¬*the¬* way;¬*Quasar:¬*doors¬*become¬*part¬*of
the¬*floor.

So does my wild Country quasar ,cant speak for the new ones though.
--
Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1
Old May 18th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anton Gibbs

I was quite pleased with the storage pockets but I like the idea of keeping
the torch in the space between the inner and outer doors - fewer places to
look in a hurry ;-)

Crepe suzettes aside, I did find the cooking space a tad cramped. With the
primus, I seemed to be caught between singeing the roof or melting the
bottom of the door. Maybe a bit more practice is required...

One thing that did strike me as odd, though, was that, on the inside, the
ground sheet seemed to be lifted up off the floor at the sides and looked
like it might suffer if you rolled over to the side and put weight on it. Is
this perhaps a consequence of not tensioning the poles correctly (ie. not
having a clue as to which of the three holes to choose) ?

Anyway, that's the New Forest out of the way; next: something more exciting.
Maybe a weekend in Margate...

Old May 19th 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:06:04 +0100, Anton Gibbs wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

My usual method when cooking in the porch is to unzip one door zip not
quite all the way up then unhook the doors from the peg and fold them
back hooking them over the peg at the end of the short pole and a
spare I usually put in so that I don't have to stretch too far on the
other side. P2 to P6 and P2 to S

p1 p2
/ stove
/
S /
/
p3---------------------p4
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
p5 p6
| |

If you are going to have the door open like this and not have the
stove there, it is a good idea to put a stone or some other marker
just next to the peg you have unhooked from as you *will* stand on it
otherwise.

One thing that did strike me as odd, though, was that, on the inside, the
ground sheet seemed to be lifted up off the floor at the sides and looked
like it might suffer if you rolled over to the side and put weight on it. Is
this perhaps a consequence of not tensioning the poles correctly (ie. not
having a clue as to which of the three holes to choose) ?

I've never quite figured out which ones to use either. Start with the
outer ones (loosest) and you end up with a floppy tent when it gets
wet. I usually use the middle ones.

Anyway, that's the New Forest out of the way; next: something more exciting.
Maybe a weekend in Margate...

My Trisar (single ended lower spec Quasar) was up in the wilds of NW
Scotland last time out.
Old May 19th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

My 2 pen Eth on the art of quasar driving

Door unpeg from ground and roll up to top and tie with the loop provided .

Cooking place stove just out of tent and open other end as well,I have seen
a nylon tent go up in flames ,it does not take long .I have a ban on all
naked flames inside the tent.

Ventilation always have the door slightly open at both ends but not the
midge net this prevents condensation which might make you think that your
ground sheet leaks .My tent is 11 years old and the groundsheet is still
fine

Lastly don't worry about the weather ,the quasar was designed to be used on
everest expeditions and has been seen on the south col with the snow fly
sheet.

Yes I am a quasar enthusiast

Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1
Old May 19th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anton Gibbs

Thanks for the advice - I'll print out your plan and try it next time I am
out. I am intrigued by the "bare-foot" method for locating lost tent pegs -
might try for a patent....
Cheers and the best of luck with the gasworks.

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:06:04 +0100, Anton Gibbs wrote:

.. .