reporting back

Old May 19th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna

Default reporting back

Just letting you know how our first ever camp out went, as asked.

We went to a campsite, just 25 mins drive from us, for the night. We got
there about 4.00pm (beautiful site by the way) and went to our pitch. The
boyfriend (who has all the camping experience) was still at work, so I
decided to take the tent out and try and put it up.

The instructions took about 8 lines and were entirely useless, so I sat
there completely flummoxed for about 20 mins, until a lovely couple across
the way came over and offered to help.

I've got to say that you campers are a truly lovely bunch. The husband put
up the tent, with a little help from my 3 yr old daughter, who insisted on
stomping down the tent pegs, whilst the wife made me a cup of tea. Even the
husband said that the tent instructions were dismal, so that's a bit
comforting.

Anyway, the boyfriend finally got there, I'd made dinner (love my trangia,
by the way), and after my daughter went to bed, we sat and talked for hours
(quietly though). With the joys of Sky TV, we hadn't done that it ages...
it was really nice!

All in all it was a great (if short) experience and we're hoping to do it
again this weekend. This time I'll know how to pitch the tent, and remember
to bring warmer clothes, as I didn't realise quite how chilly it gets in the
evening. I'll also remember to drink wine instead of beer, as running to
the camp loos five times a night is not an experience I want to repeat
(probably a bit more than you wanted to know?).

A big thanks to all of you for your advice prior to this little trip, it
really helped me to get organised.

anna

Old May 19th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:08:35 +0100, "Anna"
wrote:

All in all it was a great (if short) experience and we're hoping to do it
again this weekend. This time I'll know how to pitch the tent, and remember
to bring warmer clothes, as I didn't realise quite how chilly it gets in the
evening. I'll also remember to drink wine instead of beer, as running to
the camp loos five times a night is not an experience I want to repeat
(probably a bit more than you wanted to know?).

Glad you had a good time.

I always take urine bottles with me and some wet wipes - there are a
few different models for ladies at http://snipurl.com/6isb

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old May 19th 04, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article ,
says...
Just letting you know how our first ever camp out went, as asked.

We went to a campsite, just 25 mins drive from us, for the night. We got
there about 4.00pm (beautiful site by the way) and went to our pitch. The
boyfriend (who has all the camping experience) was still at work, so I
decided to take the tent out and try and put it up.

Come on then , where's the site?

The instructions took about 8 lines and were entirely useless, so I sat
there completely flummoxed for about 20 mins, until a lovely couple across
the way came over and offered to help.

I've got to say that you campers are a truly lovely bunch. The husband put
up the tent, with a little help from my 3 yr old daughter, who insisted on
stomping down the tent pegs, whilst the wife made me a cup of tea. Even the
husband said that the tent instructions were dismal, so that's a bit
comforting.

All tent instructions are useless copied into English from the Japanese
translation of the Russian original! BTW its not a good idea to stomp the
pegs in , especially the wire ones that normally come with tents. You
#might hurt your foot if there is a rock underneath and as soon as the
wire peg is bent you will find that it will then "spin" in the ground
whenever any load is put on it , releasing the guy line. Muy a wooden
mallet

Anyway, the boyfriend finally got there, I'd made dinner (love my trangia,
by the way), and after my daughter went to bed, we sat and talked for hours
(quietly though). With the joys of Sky TV, we hadn't done that it ages...
it was really nice!

All in all it was a great (if short) experience and we're hoping to do it
again this weekend. This time I'll know how to pitch the tent, and remember
to bring warmer clothes, as I didn't realise quite how chilly it gets in the
evening. I'll also remember to drink wine instead of beer, as running to
the camp loos five times a night is not an experience I want to repeat
(probably a bit more than you wanted to know?).

Don't forget the corkscrew!
Old May 19th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tom

In article , Anna
writes
[...]

Hi!
Glad you had such a great time.
Joyce and I reverted to camping after an absence of thirty-um years. We
bought a Raclet trailer tent and rediscovered the joys of freedom and
fresh air.
When we were camping originally we cycle-camped with our 12 month old
daughter. She loved it.
Wishing you many happy camps,
--
tom
Old May 19th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
sPoNiX

King Queen wrote:

I'll also remember to drink wine instead of beer..

I always take urine bottles with me...

Personally, I'll stick with wine if that's OK!

sPoNiX
Old May 19th 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:14:57 +0100, Tom wrote:

Glad you had such a great time.
Joyce and I reverted to camping after an absence of thirty-um years. We
bought a Raclet trailer tent and rediscovered the joys of freedom and
fresh air.
When we were camping originally we cycle-camped with our 12 month old
daughter. She loved it.

My parents took my brother and I camping in a ridge tent when he was 6
months and I a year older. We travelled in carry cots in the back of a
minivan. It's done us no harm.
Old May 19th 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
I'll also remember to drink wine instead of beer, as running to
the camp loos five times a night is not an experience I want to repeat
(probably a bit more than you wanted to know?).

Glad you had a good time.

I always take urine bottles with me and some wet wipes - there are a
few different models for ladies at
http://snipurl.com/6isb

I agree about the wipes - as a mother Anna will probably know
about baby wipes, which are invaluable and come in satisfyingly
large packs. As for urinals, I've got one similar to this one:
http://tinyurl.com/2vb3k
and it's worth its weight in gold.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.
Old May 20th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna

Come on then , where's the site?

It's in The Kingsbury water park, in Kingsbury, Warwickshire. Its only 12
miles from Birmingham, but you'd think you were in a whole different
country, it's so pretty.
The site was beautifully maintained and the toilets were immaculate. Such a
nice place. In fact I think I've been a bit spoilt for my first site. If
you're ever round that neck of the woods, I'd definately recommend it.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub...der/search.cgi

Oh and here's a link on Kingsbury Waterpark itself. We didn't get to
explore it this trip, but hope to go back this or next weekend.

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/C...256B740045C34B

Don't forget the corkscrew!

God forbid!

anna

Old May 20th 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna

I take it your daughter had a great time? Welcome to the club
Anna :-)
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

Oh she did, although she was a bit disappointed that she didn't get to go to
the childrens farm, hence why we're going back as soon as we can.

Oh and thanks, seems like a pretty nice club to be in.

anna