Sad news

Old May 20th 04, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bonehead[_2_]

Default Sad news

Anyone here ever camped at Froglands Farm in Cheddar gorge?? They have
closed down because of an impending EU ruling that they have to make the
site disabled friendly. This is a real shame as it was a nice quiet site
right near to Cheddar.

Had a few lovely holidays there in my time, has anyone else been there and
liked it as much as me.

Nath

Old May 20th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Not known to me

Probably the only real reason to agree with rules from the EU! I have
dissability and feel that anything which helps cannot be all bad. As much as
it is sad that this site is closing down, its not just because of EU rules,
its more likely financial as help is given from EU towards any improvements
made.
John,

--

http://www.pbase.com/john28july

Old May 20th 04, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

In article , kqr wrote:
In article [email protected], wrote
Anyone here ever camped at Froglands Farm in Cheddar gorge?? They have
closed down because of an impending EU ruling that they have to make the
site disabled friendly. This is a real shame as it was a nice quiet site
right near to Cheddar.

Had a few lovely holidays there in my time, has anyone else been there and
liked it as much as me.
Nath

Never been there but stayed elsewhere in the area.
Another reason to say NO to the EU

[I've just re-read what I've written below and thought I ought to warn
you all it goes *way* off-topic... should be on uk.politics or something
.... so maybe you want to skip this post]

I don't think you can blame the EU for disabled people wanting to enjoy
the facilities the able bodied do. I do sympathise with businesses for
whom profit is so low they can't afford to make the necessary changes;
however this isn't new legislation. When I ran a record shop during the
early '80s I received information telling me that I would need to make
my business accessible to disabled customers. I do think with that kind
of notice there has been ample time to increase charges slightly to
cover the cost of the work needed. For a campsite I'm sure there isn't a
great deal that needs to be done to comply. Surely no more than a
disabled toilet and shower (maybe more than one depending on the number
of pitches - but if the site was that big surely it'd be making enough
to afford the improvements).

worm-can="open"
Still, it is my opinion that if a business doesn't want a certain type
of customer (be they black, disabled, gay, women, old, or middle-aged
white heterosexual men) then that should be their choice. Having
government of any kind interfering in the way people live their lives
is outrageous and to dictate that a person has no right to choose who
they do business with makes me very angry; after all, the customer can
choose which business gets their trade.

It is good business sense to accommodate and appeal to as many potential
customers as possible but if your belief (religious or otherwise)
causes you to be offended by gay people (for example) shouldn't you have
the right to not be offended, potentially on a daily basis, by people
wishing to buy things from your shop, use your pub, ride in your taxi or
camp on your site?
worm-can="empty"

Before someone gets the wrong end of the stick and starts yelling Nazi,
Fascist, racist, sexist, bigot, or whatever I'd like to make it clear
that I :

1 am not homo-phobic, some of my friends and employees are gay.
2 employ people of different ethnic origins, my business would be
poorer (both financially and morally) without them.
3 employ people across the age range spectrum from school leavers
to retired people wanting part-time work.
4 employ - currently only one - registered disabled person.
5 employ both men and women.

I believe that government is interfering too much in the way people
choose to live their lives and conduct their business - nanny state and
big brother rolled into one. My stance is similar to that of Voltaire's
on free speech: I disagree with your views on homo-sexuality/race/
religion/whatever but if you want to run your business excluding those
people then you should be able to do so.

Getting myself back on to the topic of the post to which I replied: The
campsite has had at least 20 years to get itself up to the required
standards, using the legislation as an excuse to close down is no
excuse; the owners were either going to close anyway or aren't that
bothered about the business. The legislation that was referred to should
never have been passed but it was just another small step in a long line
of small steps (small steps are so easy to take aren't they?) in
eroding the liberty we have to live our lives as we choose.

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty or security

Sorry to have waffled on, it's funny how some subjects just grab you and
you find you can't help yourself... or is that just me?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 20th 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Justin C wrote:

Getting myself back on to the topic of the post to which I replied: The
campsite has had at least 20 years to get itself up to the required
standards, using the legislation as an excuse to close down is no
excuse; the owners were either going to close anyway or aren't that
bothered about the business.

Agree

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty or security

Sorry to have waffled on, it's funny how some subjects just grab you and
you find you can't help yourself... or is that just me?

It's just you! :-)

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk
Old May 20th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:51:54 +0100, "Not known to me"
wrote:

Probably the only real reason to agree with rules from the EU! I have
dissability and feel that anything which helps cannot be all bad. As much as
it is sad that this site is closing down, its not just because of EU rules,
its more likely financial as help is given from EU towards any improvements
made.

well yes, and I think it is a misinterpretation as well.

the rules say that service providers must "consider" making
"reasonable structural alterations". the word "reasonable" is
important - if it means that the provision of the facilities for the
disabled would stop the facilities being provided at all to the rest
of the people, e.g. if the alterations are so expensive the place
would have to close down, then that is not "reasoable".

Obviously I don't know the full situation at this particular site, but
I do wonder if they have misread things. No disability law forces any
business to shut...

I'm a wheelchair user myself.

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old May 20th 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:57:54 GMT, Justin C
wrote:

4 employ - currently only one - registered disabled person.

You'd have difficulty as the disability registration scheme stopped a
number of years ago :-)

You're a libertarian I think. I disagree though I can see why you hold
your point of view.

Old May 20th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

wrote:

4 employ - currently only one - registered disabled person.

You'd have difficulty as the disability registration scheme stopped a
number of years ago :-)

OK, he's not shown me any kind of registration. He does like to point
out that he's disabled fairly often when I ask him to do something,
that's probably why phrased it that way.

You're a libertarian I think.

That's quite likely.

I disagree though I can see why you hold your point of view.

That's very fair, a much better response than I thought I'd get to
that post!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 20th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
kqr

In article ,
wrote
wrote:

[...]

My local pub expanded its accommodation a few years ago
and the planners insisted that one room be suitable for
the disabled. That's one room out of six [bit like a motel
place] well they did - at extra cost and to this day not a
single disabled person has ever booked in!! Not surprising
really, the whole establishment is not suitable for wheelchair
users at all.