New To Camping

Old May 23rd 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chav

Default New To Camping

Can anyone give us a little help regarding camping?

Q1 Can you use portable BBQ's on camp sites? Or is there a smoke
regulation?

Q2 Is it safe to leave your tent unattended?

Q3 Are the showering facilities private?

Q4 Could you recommendation a good camp site in the east coast region of
Yorkshire? Or anywhere you have visited?

Q5 Do you need to book in advance?

Thanks very much. Any other advice for naive campers would be greatly
appreciated!!

Thanks Paul & Jenny

Old May 23rd 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , chav
writes
Can anyone give us a little help regarding camping?

Q1 Can you use portable BBQ's on camp sites?

Normally yes, they like you to keep them off the ground to protect the
grass (if the hot bit would be on the ground)

Q2 Is it safe to leave your tent unattended?

Well what do you think all the campers do?............

Yes it's safe, in the sense that problems are very uncommon. There have
been cases of equipment , even the tent an everything being stolen, but
these are rare. I have never had a problem camping, nor has anyone I
know.

This si more than can be said for the house or the car.....

Q3 Are the showering facilities private?

Usual thing is for the wash block to have toilets, communal washbasins,
and private showers

Q5 Do you need to book in advance?

For camping, a lot of the time no. At busy times I would give the
campsite a ring at least to check and probably book in advance if I
could, esp. if it mattered. If you would require an electrical hook-up,
then booking is probably more important.

Thanks very much. Any other advice for naive campers would be greatly
appreciated!!

There are books on this....... Answering specific questions is rather
easier
--
Chris French

Old May 24th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

In article , chav wrote:

Q2 Is it safe to leave your tent unattended?

Quite often there are other campers around who, for whatever reason, are
staying put for the day. If you say "hi" to those around you they'll
remember you, and, if they spot someone acting supiciously in the
vacinity of your tent are more likely to say something. Quite often my
fiance and I will just relax around the tent for a few days, reading,
catching some sun, etc., and, perhaps we're just nosey, but we keep an
eye out, you tend to recognise the people with each tent. We've not seen
anything suspicious but I'm pretty sure I'd at least say something to
those involved.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 24th 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim[_2_]

"chav" wrote in message
Can anyone give us a little help regarding camping?

Q1 Can you use portable BBQ's on camp sites? Or is there a smoke
regulation?

It's not the smoke that's the problem, it's the flaming coals.

Q2 Is it safe to leave your tent unattended?

Yes providing it's not likely to wander off on it's own

Q3 Are the showering facilities private?

If it's raining when you pitch your tent then the shower you'll be taking
will be in public.

Q4 Could you recommendation a good camp site in the east coast region of
Yorkshire? Or anywhere you have visited?

There ar so many I couldn't say without more information. Yorkshire has a
coastline of about 100 miles. So that'll be about 600 campsites.

Q5 Do you need to book in advance?

I never go without booking. You could be long way from home and trailing
around looking for a pitch for the night can be very trying to say the
least. And if that happens, by the time you've found one, your partner won't
be talking to you, your kids will have driven you to distraction and the
dog'll've been sick. Apart from that no problems.

Thanks very much. Any other advice for naive campers would be greatly
appreciated!!

Thanks Paul & Jenny

You're welcome, and have a great time, it's the most friendly enjoyable
holiday you will ever have.

Hotel holidays are alright but how can they possibly compete with, the long
dark night walks to the toilet block. No sleep because of the cold nights.
People in the next tent, snoring, coughing, singing, boozing and many other
nocturnal habits. Oh! and the bumpy ground under your sleeping bag. Rain,
leaky tents, mosquitoes, or that dreadful moment when you've struggled
through the rain and got back to your tent ready for a meal and a hot drink
only to find out that the gas has run out and the shop's closed.

Happy Days.

Regards
Jim

Old May 26th 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve

chav wrote:
Can anyone give us a little help regarding camping?

Q1 Can you use portable BBQ's on camp sites? Or is there a smoke
regulation?

Most sites allow a BBQ provided it isn't resting on (and damaging) the
grass and you clean up afterwards.

Q2 Is it safe to leave your tent unattended?

Tent and most equipment yes, Valuables belong in the boot.

Q3 Are the showering facilities private?

Yes.

Q4 Could you recommendation a good camp site in the east coast region of
Yorkshire? Or anywhere you have visited?

Try Thorpe Hall just outside Bridlington.
http://www.thorpehall.co.uk/

Q5 Do you need to book in advance?

For most capsites it's best to book at weekends and during the holiday
seasons.

Have fun, East Yorkshire is a great place to visit.