Online retailers

Old May 24th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Malcolm Turner

Default Online retailers

Hi all,
My son is doing his D of E at the moment & does his first group Hike / Camp
very soon. As a family, we have camped quite a lot so have most of the
essential items but wondered if anyone could recommend a good online
retailer for things like food & emergency rations?
Thanks
Malcolm

Old May 24th 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim[_2_]

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:30:21 +0100, "Jim"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:13:40 +0100, Malcolm Turner
wrote:

in article , martin at
wrote on 24/5/04 3:43 pm:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:32:50 +0100, Malcolm Turner
wrote:

in article
, martin at
wrote on 24/5/04 3:08 pm:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:29:28 +0100, Malcolm Turner
wrote:

Hi all,
My son is doing his D of E at the moment & does his first group

Hike
/ Camp
very soon. As a family, we have camped quite a lot so have most

of
the
essential items but wondered if anyone could recommend a good

online
retailer for things like food & emergency rations?

Tescos?
Ha ha :-)
What I meant was stuff specifically for camping & hiking, for

example,
dehydrated high energy/protein & ready made up emergency ration

packs.

Do you really need stuff like that?
I seem to remember taking a packet of sausages, when I did the
equivalent hiking in the scouts :-)
According to the kitlist, yes.

So much for character forming :-)

Like the PM I'll say three things which might put this into perspective,
Litigation, litigation , litigation.

eh?
--
Martin

Oh come on Martin, surely you know that, anyone in charge of, or having
organised an activity for an individual, or a group of individuals is
ultimately responsible for their safety. Especially if that activity might
put another person in a situation which may become life threatening.

The kit list is there to help eliminate problems and therefore might seem
too extensive for the activity involved but the organisers do not want a
death or major injury occurring during their planned activity. If it does,
they don't want it to be proven to be their lack of attention or lack of
responsibility that has caused it the incident. Because, and here comes the
answer to your "eh?" somebody could take them to court and sue them for lots
of money.

You and I may have well trudged out into the mist with a stout pair of
boots, a clean singlet and a sausage sandwich to see us through, but sadly
not anymore.

Jim

Old May 25th 04, 06:40 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Mann[_2_]

In message , Malcolm Turner
writes
Hi all,
My son is doing his D of E at the moment & does his first group Hike / Camp
very soon. As a family, we have camped quite a lot so have most of the
essential items but wondered if anyone could recommend a good online
retailer for things like food & emergency rations?
Thanks
Malcolm

www.fieldandtrek.co.uk

Which expedition is he doing? As someone who has done all three awards
(6 expeditions) I would question the need to carry "emergency" rations.
Remember, you REALLY want to keep the weight down as much as possible.
The group should be planning their menu and organising things between
themselves.

I suffered from being nagged by my Mum ("Why don't you take
this/that?"). After I agreed purely to save argument, she complained my
rucksack was too heavy!

John.
--
John Mann
Old May 25th 04, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:13:40 +0100, Malcolm Turner
wrote:

in article , martin at
wrote on 24/5/04 3:43 pm:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:32:50 +0100, Malcolm Turner
wrote:

in article
, martin at

wrote:

Hi all,
My son is doing his D of E at the moment & does his first group Hike / Camp
very soon. As a family, we have camped quite a lot so have most of the
essential items but wondered if anyone could recommend a good online
retailer for things like food & emergency rations?

Tescos?
Ha ha :-)
What I meant was stuff specifically for camping & hiking, for example,
dehydrated high energy/protein & ready made up emergency ration packs.

Do you really need stuff like that?
I seem to remember taking a packet of sausages, when I did the
equivalent hiking in the scouts :-)

According to the kitlist, yes.

Well, according to the "official" kit list at
http://www.theaward.org/involved/ind...144,824&id=741
"personal kit" includes:

1x Emergency food rations (NOT to be eaten until the end!)

Which to me sounds like a slab of Kendall Mint Cake and/or a couple of
Mars bars.

BICBW.

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old May 25th 04, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Malcolm Turner

in article , John Mann at
wrote on 25/5/04 7:40 am:

[...]

He is doing Bronze.
I agree with you John, but the scout leader insists that the issued kit list
is adhered to. The group have already agreed food & menu responsibilities.
Thanks for the link, just what I was looking for.
Malcolm