What hook up plug in France??

Old May 25th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rich

Default What hook up plug in France??

Can anyone help, I need to get a suitable hook up for a mains supply in
France Normandy do they use our style blue 16 Amp BS4343 plug if not can you
suggest what it might be.

Rich

--
To reply remove " spam "

Old May 26th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
drs-net

hi

we've been to france a few times before now and there are some things you need
to know about with the electrics.

first they sometimes have the polarity the wrong way round, or should I say the
polarity might be reversed compared to here which could be a problem for things
not working and also could be dangerous because the fuse is supposed to be in
the live conection and wont be if the polarity is reversed. so i'd suggest take
a polarity checker with you. and its a good idea to get a spare standard
conector lead like the one you probably have and wire it the other way round so
you've got one handy in case the polarity is the other way round.

next about amps. we did go to one site that had 16 amp and 10 amp, but not all
of there sites have 16amp. some only seem to have 10 or 6 amp. so you have to
be careful not to trip the electrics by plugging in too many things that draw
too much current at the same time. do you have a low wattage kettle? could be
a good idea to take one.

also its a good idea to take a two pin continental adapter as well. the
conector we use over here, the cee 17, is supposed to be a european standard but
it seems that over in france they haven't all realised that yet lol. you might
find french standard 2 pin sockets that you have to connect to.

hope that helps

duncan

Old May 26th 04, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen Glynn

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 May 2004 00:31:44 +0100, drs-net
wrote:

[...]

Take a block of UK three pin sockets with you attach a French
compatible plug to the end.
--
Martin

I agree with what Martin says but also take a two-pin lead (available at
most caravan/camping outlets) with reversed polarity aswell, there can be at
least three different permetations and when you test for reversed polarity
try and do it before you connect up, I didn't once and paid for it!

Steve.

---

Old May 26th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
klyne

--
"Rich" wrote in message
Can anyone help, I need to get a suitable hook up for a mains supply in
France Normandy do they use our style blue 16 Amp BS4343 plug if not can

you
suggest what it might be.

Rich

I think Duncan put it very well. If you want more information, with
illustrations check out the Help and Information section of my website.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports