Anyone got a Khyam Ridgi-pod Excelsior ?

Old May 27th 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
peter

Default Anyone got a Khyam Ridgi-pod Excelsior ?

Just about to replace our Vango tunnel tent. The new Khyam Ridgi-pod
Excelsior looks to be the best and most flexible tent for frequent
family camping. Does anyone around here have experience of one - are
there any drawbacks to the pod concept? Does it have any annoying
design features/faults? Is there anything else in the same league that
I should be considering?
Old May 28th 04, 06:35 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
T.

"peter" wrote in message
om...
Just about to replace our Vango tunnel tent. The new Khyam Ridgi-pod
Excelsior looks to be the best and most flexible tent for frequent
family camping. Does anyone around here have experience of one - are
there any drawbacks to the pod concept? Does it have any annoying
design features/faults? Is there anything else in the same league that
I should be considering?

Beware Khyam had a bad experience with manufacturers using oversize needles
and therefore tents leaking. Khyam are partly responsible for my buying a
caravan.

Old May 28th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

"T." wrote in message
news:C_Btc.7$%%[email protected]
"peter" wrote in message
om...
Just about to replace our Vango tunnel tent. The new Khyam Ridgi-pod
Excelsior looks to be the best and most flexible tent for frequent
family camping. Does anyone around here have experience of one - are
there any drawbacks to the pod concept? Does it have any annoying
design features/faults? Is there anything else in the same league that
I should be considering?

Beware Khyam had a bad experience with manufacturers using oversize

needles
and therefore tents leaking. Khyam are partly responsible for my buying a
caravan.

This was a few years ago, and didn't affect all tents, my 2001 ltd edition
XXL has stood up to near hurricane weather on a cliff top without so much as
a drip (when a large vango tunnel lay flat!)... I have recently bought a
2004 flexidome freelander, and that has seen some rough weather too without
a problem. I know people that have had Khyams for years, none of them have
experienced major issues.

I realise that people have in the past had problems with them, but I
wouldn't buy anything other than khyam now...

Old May 28th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Roebear
writes
"T." wrote in message
news:C_Btc.7$%%[email protected]
"peter" wrote in message
om...
Just about to replace our Vango tunnel tent. The new Khyam Ridgi-pod
Excelsior looks to be the best and most flexible tent for frequent
family camping. Does anyone around here have experience of one - are
there any drawbacks to the pod concept? Does it have any annoying
design features/faults? Is there anything else in the same league that
I should be considering?

Beware Khyam had a bad experience with manufacturers using oversize

needles
and therefore tents leaking.

This was a few years ago, and didn't affect all tents,

Indeed, this does seem to have been a 'one-off' (as in
batch/manufacturer - not tent) problem.

my 2001 ltd edition
XXL has stood up to near hurricane weather on a cliff top without so much as
a drip (when a large vango tunnel lay flat!)... I have recently bought a
2004 flexidome freelander, and that has seen some rough weather too without
a problem. I know people that have had Khyams for years, none of them have
experienced major issues.

We've been very happy with the Frontier we bought last year, though it
is a big bugger to put up in the wind, good once it's up though :-)
--
Chris French

Old May 28th 04, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
T.

"Roebear" wrote in message
"T." wrote in message
news:C_Btc.7$%%[email protected]
"peter" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Actually it was 2003 that we got drenched inside our Khyam Ltd edition and
was only the third time out in it - having bought it 2002

Old June 4th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bill Turner

I got the Rigidome Ultimat Espace. The damned thing leaks like a sieve.
Bill
"T." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Roebear" wrote in message
"T." wrote in message
news:C_Btc.7$%%[email protected]
om...

Old June 4th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
I got the Rigidome Ultimat Espace. The damned thing leaks like a sieve.
Bill
"T." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Roebear" wrote in message
"T." wrote in message
news:C_Btc.7$%%[email protected]
"peter" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I know it is a silly question, , and everyone who owns one must have done it
a few times, but have you given the seams a really good going over with the
sealant...

It seems a shame that Khyam dropeed their QC for a year or so, didn't khyam
offer to replace the flysheets of tents that suffered from the oversized
needle problem??? As i said in the earlier post, i have NEVER had a problem
with Khyams, nor have several of my friends (between us we have 9 khyams!).

I am not doubting that people have had problems, all i am saying is that i
would never buy anything other, unless i had (or experienced) an incident
with leakage such as anyone else.