Camping via motorbike.

Old May 30th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kinesin

Default Camping via motorbike.

Hi UKRC.

Well I've just spent the last couple or hours reading over this group
and I've got some questions, about everything really.

I'm looking, well *am* going camping this summer using my motorbike +
gf. This impossed several limits on my needs.

a) I've not a lot of space, but weight not super important, but volume is.
b) I'm going 2up on one bike. This give me a total *on bike* volume of
(28L+45L) 73 Litres. However overall length on one item *might* be.

This is my luggage http://www.bikers-cafe.co.uk/acatalog/bluebike.jpg
with the rear top pack not available due to my GF sitting there. However
she will be wearing a backpack with tent poles, Themarest's in and
anything else that is light.

Now I've just got a great 2/3man Dome tent, that packs real small, and
as it was last season model i got it for really stupid price. 2
enterances that allows space for stuff like my soft luggage, leathers,
lids, boots etc, for when I hidding from the rain, and wearing my camp gear.

The space issue puts me in backpacker mode, but allows me to get the
heavier stuff. However as I have to take non-bike boots, non-bike
tops/pants etc clothes can eat this space fast.

I know it's been asked a million times before, but I'm looking for
sleeping bags. 2 season, as biking and camping in cold ain't that much
fun, low volume. I'm found the smugpak sleeper 2+ /3+ that get down to
40x20 / 43x23. Is this a small volume for a sleeping bag? Is it too large?

I've already got a 3/4 length themarest. Is this going to good enough.
Should get the GF a full length or 3/4 one?

Are most campimg sites bike friendly? Is there a list of especially bike
welcoming sites?

What's the deal with packing up when leaving a site? Do I have to be off
by 12 noon aka hotel. I'll normally be staying fri+sat night, however it
would be nice to leave tent + gear up all day sun, ride around a bit etc
etc , come back 6pm ish and pack up and go. Do sites allow this late
booking out?

Is is worth hassle of cooking? (this might be question answered once we
been.. do it for fun

Oh and can anyone suggest a nice campsite within an hours drive of
castle donnington?

Thanks for you time.. I'm sure I've got a load more questions, but the
more I read the more my brain is trying to fire in all directions..

--
Cheers
(clear the weather to reply)
Old May 31st 04, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony B

However she will be wearing a backpack

It's probably best to have a trial run with the backpack, even very light
loads get to be a right PIA after a few hours on the bike. Oh and poles
probably are not very good as back protectors!!

The space issue puts me in backpacker mode,

take a bottle of travel wash soap, then you don't have to take loads of
clothes. Your off-bike clothes can be drying while you are on the bike
during the day.

non-bike boots,

These are the worst thing! Even a skinny pair of trainers takes up a huge
ammount of room. This year I bought some poncy David Beckham type martial
arts trainers, they flatten down to nothing and hardly have a sole to speak
of, so they are not bad for packing. Look a bit odd to me, but I understand
they are pretty trendy at the mo...

Should get the GF a full length or 3/4 one?

I have two 3/4 ones, they work really well.

Are most campimg sites bike friendly?

I suppose as long as there are not two hundred arriving at once, most won't
have issues with bikes. Hopefully!

Do I have to be off by 12 noon aka hotel.

Yes. IME. If you want to leave your tent up you'd probably have to pay for
an extra night but ask, they may be OK with it. You could always ask about
leaving a packed tent somewhere on the site for later collection?

Is is worth hassle of cooking?

Probably not, on a bike. We take cold meats and salad stuff in the car, for
the Friday night cos who wants to cook after getting the tent up? However a
brew in the morning is a bit of an essential.

Oh and can anyone suggest a nice campsite within an hours drive of
castle donnington?

We had a weekend at a site off the A6 just north of Bakewell last August,
called Greenhills. Of course the Peak park is nice to ride round in as well
:-)

hth,

Tony B

Old May 31st 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
peter

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Kinesin wrote:

I've already got a 3/4 length themarest. Is this going to good enough.
Should get the GF a full length or 3/4 one?

In my experience, a 3/4 length will be fine if you can fit both shoulder
and hip bone on it at the same time (when lying on your side obviously).
I'm 6ft2in and I found that I had to choose between shoulder or hip
comfort, so I changed to a full length one.

Are most campimg sites bike friendly? Is there a list of especially bike
welcoming sites?

The Forestry Commission 'Roundhill' site in the New Forest has a
bikes-only field.

Old May 31st 04, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_5_]

If you are carrying that top bag on the back of a R1 i think.... or an R6 ?
..... where the hell are you going to put the gf ?

JK
(PS) Come over here to Ireland and take in a good road race and B&B will
cost the pair of you somewhere between 30 & 40 per night..... Just a
thought..

Old May 31st 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bryan Hall

Bryan replied below
(25 years biking and camping)

"Kinesin" wrote in message
Hi UKRC.

Well I've just spent the last couple or hours reading over this group
and I've got some questions, about everything really.

I'm looking, well *am* going camping this summer using my motorbike +
gf. This impossed several limits on my needs.

how long r u going for. Best to try a couple of short weekends first?

a) I've not a lot of space, but weight not super important, but volume is.
b) I'm going 2up on one bike. This give me a total *on bike* volume of
(28L+45L) 73 Litres. However overall length on one item *might* be.

This is my luggage http://www.bikers-cafe.co.uk/acatalog/bluebike.jpg
with the rear top pack not available due to my GF sitting there. However
she will be wearing a backpack with tent poles, Themarest's in and
anything else that is light.

You can't really carry too much with that configuration - the panniers are
too small and too high up for any real load - your centre of gravity will
be too high leading to a likelihood of speed wobbles if you're not careful.
I used panniers, tank bag and a rear rack. tent/s bags and mats rolled up on
the rack. 1 pannier each for clothes. rest of stuff in tank bag - and take
plenty of bungees to strap on all those bits you'll need quickly - like
waterproofs!

GF wearing a backpack - forget it.
1. If the bike get's dropped she won't roll on impact, but act more like a
rock - really it's too dangerous to even consider
2. Every time you accelerate her back will take the load of the rucksack.
short hops it'll be ok but on long journeys her back will be knackered. If
you're planning on any after dark romance, a knackered back will not go
down too well

Now I've just got a great 2/3man Dome tent, that packs real small, and
as it was last season model i got it for really stupid price. 2
enterances that allows space for stuff like my soft luggage, leathers,
lids, boots etc, for when I hidding from the rain, and wearing my camp

gear.

sounds good - take a couple of dustbin liners to put wet geat in. YOur
boots/helmets can go in to dry ones and be kept outside

The space issue puts me in backpacker mode, but allows me to get the
heavier stuff. However as I have to take non-bike boots, non-bike
tops/pants etc clothes can eat this space fast.

yep - welcome to camping with a bike - they don't have car boots ;-)
small stuff that folds up easy - basically you wear the bike gear during the
day and have a change of clothes for other times

I know it's been asked a million times before, but I'm looking for
sleeping bags. 2 season, as biking and camping in cold ain't that much
fun, low volume. I'm found the smugpak sleeper 2+ /3+ that get down to
40x20 / 43x23. Is this a small volume for a sleeping bag? Is it too large?

don't worry about the volume - it''s the way you pack it to the bike that
will matter 2/3 season will do great for April - Sept

I've already got a 3/4 length themarest. Is this going to good enough.
Should get the GF a full length or 3/4 one?

3/4 will do great

Are most campimg sites bike friendly? Is there a list of especially bike
welcoming sites?

for a M/F you should have no problem - it's M/M that usually gets a NO
must be loads of refs on the net - come back if you;'re having trouble and
i'll pick u some out

Also get a side stand plate (a plastic gizmo to put under the stand so the
stand doesn't sink into the grass and let the bike go over)
Alternatively use a squashed coke can or similar. DON'T use the centre
stand. They also dig in overnight and it's a bugger trying to lift a bike
off centre stand when the wheels r flat on the ground

What's the deal with packing up when leaving a site? Do I have to be off
by 12 noon aka hotel. I'll normally be staying fri+sat night, however it
would be nice to leave tent + gear up all day sun, ride around a bit etc
etc , come back 6pm ish and pack up and go. Do sites allow this late
booking out?

Usually away by lunchtime - and if you do leave your kit lying around - take
your valuables along - find somehwere to hide em on the bike

Is is worth hassle of cooking? (this might be question answered once we
been.. do it for fun

Yep - a small gas stove, or even a solid fuel burner. 1 small folding frying
pan and a samll golfong kettle should do it
It's amazing how well good a hot brew and bacon butty goes down 1st thing if
you've got to pack up a wet tent and spend the day in the rain. You can
tough it out - you're g/f may be less inclined so add some of the frills
into the trip if you plan on ever having her go again
;-)

Oh and can anyone suggest a nice campsite within an hours drive of
castle donnington?

Thanks for you time.. I'm sure I've got a load more questions, but the
more I read the more my brain is trying to fire in all directions..

Keep the questions coming!! I've managed travelling to St Tropez and back
with the G/F for a week - and we've been married nearly 20 years now, so get
it right !! ;-)

--
Cheers
(clear the weather to reply)

Old May 31st 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kinesin

Tony B wrote:
However she will be wearing a backpack

It's probably best to have a trial run with the backpack, even very light
loads get to be a right PIA after a few hours on the bike. Oh and poles
probably are not very good as back protectors!!

Last year we popped down to Dorset to visit friends. It's a minimum 6
hour ride, (and took 9 as we went via Chester and A roads of Wales).
We didn't camp, however we/she took a little too much. Had the tank bag
and panniers on, however neither was run in fully expanded mode.

The space issue puts me in backpacker mode,

take a bottle of travel wash soap, then you don't have to take loads of
clothes. Your off-bike clothes can be drying while you are on the bike
during the day.

I like this idea

non-bike boots,

These are the worst thing! Even a skinny pair of trainers takes up a huge
ammount of room. This year I bought some poncy David Beckham type martial
arts trainers, they flatten down to nothing and hardly have a sole to speak
of, so they are not bad for packing. Look a bit odd to me, but I understand
they are pretty trendy at the mo...

I wasn't allowed to get my "Jesus Sandels", however I've got a pair of
reef flipflop for the campsite, and pair of small trek trainer/boots
that don't take up much space. (I might have to stop her bring the heels
time time tho)

Should get the GF a full length or 3/4 one?

I have two 3/4 ones, they work really well.

ok.. I'm hoping to fine another one on special, however I might take a
storm shield one as there are cheaper.. Just depends on how much space
in left after the 1st attempt at packing

Are most campimg sites bike friendly?

I suppose as long as there are not two hundred arriving at once, most won't
have issues with bikes. Hopefully!

Do I have to be off by 12 noon aka hotel.

Yes. IME. If you want to leave your tent up you'd probably have to pay for
an extra night but ask, they may be OK with it. You could always ask about
leaving a packed tent somewhere on the site for later collection?

Ok it come with me then. I guess it depends on the pricing model. Some
include 2 ppl in the price, others just the tent, ppl are extra. I guess
in those circumstances I might pay the extra "night" for the tent.

Is is worth hassle of cooking?

Probably not, on a bike. We take cold meats and salad stuff in the car, for
the Friday night cos who wants to cook after getting the tent up? However a
brew in the morning is a bit of an essential.

Some else (thanks) suggested getting something to make a brew. This is
one of those things that gets easier the more ppl there are. You can
share the basics between each other.

Oh and can anyone suggest a nice campsite within an hours drive of
castle donnington?

We had a weekend at a site off the A6 just north of Bakewell last August,
called Greenhills. Of course the Peak park is nice to ride round in as well
:-)

I'll be checking this out..

hth,

Tony B

Many thanks Mr B

Old May 31st 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kinesin

JK wrote:

If you are carrying that top bag on the back of a R1 i think.... or an R6 ?
.... where the hell are you going to put the gf ?

JK
(PS) Come over here to Ireland and take in a good road race and B&B will
cost the pair of you somewhere between 30 & 40 per night..... Just a
thought..

I'm *not* carrying the tail pack. My bike is SV650s[1], a little small
for 2up but it's done a 600 mile journey fully loaded :-)

Always fancied Ireland, Have to check out the ferry prices. What are
there like with bike handling? I've heard it's wise to bring your own
tie downs..

cheers

[1] that was just to show how little the luggage is
Old May 31st 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kinesin

Bryan Hall moved the kill switch to on, and started the following:
snip
how long r u going for. Best to try a couple of short weekends first?

Defo short weekends 1st. Love to do europe, but might wait till she's
riding her own, or I've upgraded to something a little bigger.

snip luggage stuff

You can't really carry too much with that configuration - the panniers are
too small and too high up for any real load - your centre of gravity will
be too high leading to a likelihood of speed wobbles if you're not careful.
I used panniers, tank bag and a rear rack. tent/s bags and mats rolled up on
the rack. 1 pannier each for clothes. rest of stuff in tank bag - and take
plenty of bungees to strap on all those bits you'll need quickly - like
waterproofs!

I've not had any issue's so far with speed wobbles. I though about a
rear rack and I'll have to check out the upcoming shows.

GF wearing a backpack - forget it.
1. If the bike get's dropped she won't roll on impact, but act more like a
rock - really it's too dangerous to even consider
2. Every time you accelerate her back will take the load of the rucksack.
short hops it'll be ok but on long journeys her back will be knackered. If
you're planning on any after dark romance, a knackered back will not go
down too well

See other replies ref: Dorset trip. I know it's risky, but we ride and
take risks daily. This is been fixed by her learning to ride and getting
her own bike

Now I've just got a great 2/3man Dome tent, that packs real small, and
as it was last season model i got it for really stupid price. 2
enterances that allows space for stuff like my soft luggage, leathers,
lids, boots etc, for when I hidding from the rain, and wearing my camp

gear.

sounds good - take a couple of dustbin liners to put wet geat in. YOur
boots/helmets can go in to dry ones and be kept outside

Already on my list..

The space issue puts me in backpacker mode, but allows me to get the
heavier stuff. However as I have to take non-bike boots, non-bike
tops/pants etc clothes can eat this space fast.

yep - welcome to camping with a bike - they don't have car boots ;-)
small stuff that folds up easy - basically you wear the bike gear during the
day and have a change of clothes for other times

We both snowboard when we're not doing other stuff, so we've got few
bit's and pieces can can be used. Plus she's got the figure to pull off
tight fitting clothes (and she's tiny which helps)

I know it's been asked a million times before, but I'm looking for
sleeping bags. 2 season, as biking and camping in cold ain't that much
fun, low volume. I'm found the smugpak sleeper 2+ /3+ that get down to
40x20 / 43x23. Is this a small volume for a sleeping bag? Is it too large?

don't worry about the volume - it''s the way you pack it to the bike that
will matter 2/3 season will do great for April - Sept

Just picked up 2 Quantum 300 down bags from blacks. Got them cheaper as
well :-) Nice little size under compression. My old DofE bag is large
than the pair

I've already got a 3/4 length themarest. Is this going to good enough.
Should get the GF a full length or 3/4 one?

3/4 will do great

Are the difference brands a much or a muchness? I know there's a thread
a bit lower, I'll have to a good read.

Are most campimg sites bike friendly? Is there a list of especially bike
welcoming sites?

for a M/F you should have no problem - it's M/M that usually gets a NO
must be loads of refs on the net - come back if you;'re having trouble and
i'll pick u some out

Cheers! That's good to know. I guess if 1xM+F(on bike) 1xM(on bike)
1xM(on bike) it's a case of book 1 bike at a time.

Also get a side stand plate (a plastic gizmo to put under the stand so the
stand doesn't sink into the grass and let the bike go over)
Alternatively use a squashed coke can or similar. DON'T use the centre
stand. They also dig in overnight and it's a bugger trying to lift a bike
off centre stand when the wheels r flat on the ground

Got this covered :-) Done Devils bridge a few times and parked in the
field there.

What's the deal with packing up when leaving a site? Do I have to be off
by 12 noon aka hotel. I'll normally be staying fri+sat night, however it
would be nice to leave tent + gear up all day sun, ride around a bit etc
etc , come back 6pm ish and pack up and go. Do sites allow this late
booking out?

Usually away by lunchtime - and if you do leave your kit lying around - take
your valuables along - find somehwere to hide em on the bike

Seems to be the norm.. tho not a problem. Maybe letting the lady sweet
talk then might help:-)

Is is worth hassle of cooking? (this might be question answered once we
been.. do it for fun

Yep - a small gas stove, or even a solid fuel burner. 1 small folding frying
pan and a samll golfong kettle should do it
It's amazing how well good a hot brew and bacon butty goes down 1st thing if
you've got to pack up a wet tent and spend the day in the rain. You can
tough it out - you're g/f may be less inclined so add some of the frills
into the trip if you plan on ever having her go again
;-)

She's more up for this than me.. (I've done the whole DofE stuff a long
time ago)

(but I've post her if I have stuff going on ebay in a few months lol )

Oh and can anyone suggest a nice campsite within an hours drive of
castle donnington?

Thanks for you time.. I'm sure I've got a load more questions, but the
more I read the more my brain is trying to fire in all directions..

Keep the questions coming!! I've managed travelling to St Tropez and back
with the G/F for a week - and we've been married nearly 20 years now, so get
it right !! ;-)

This sounds bad ;-) I don't wanta get married... lol

Thanks Bryan..

Old June 1st 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bryan Hall

You're welcome - stay dry

Old June 4th 04, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bill Turner

Bikes and camping... best combination ever.
I have a large tourer now but before I used to use an old army kit bagfor
most of the gear and bungie it across the back of the bike. It held loads of
gear and was quite a good backrest for the Missus. As for whether to cook or
not most definitely cos you can guarantee that whoever is pitched next to
you will cook bacon sarnies in the morning and you will wish you could do
the same.
I just got back today from a great little site in Norfolk called Rose farm.
Really clean and real nice people.
Have fun
Bill
"Bryan Hall" wrote in message