Repairing fiberglass tent poles

Old June 3rd 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jonathan Culver

Default Repairing fiberglass tent poles

I have a broken section of a fiberglass tent pole and would like to
replace it with the spare provided.
However the sections are held together by elasticated cord.
Do I have to cut this cord to effect the repair or is there another
way?

Ta

Jonathan
Old June 3rd 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article ,
says...
Do I have to cut this cord to effect the repair or is there another
way?

Untie the knot at the end.
Old June 4th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim[_2_]

"Paddy" wrote in message
news
In message , Roebear
writes

"Fran" wrote in message
et...
marc marccdimspamremovedimspamto
said...
In article ,
says...
Do I have to cut this cord to effect the repair or is there another
way?

Untie the knot at the end.

Puts hand in air Please sir, I've often wondered about this
problem with my own tent poles, just in case like... Errm, what
if the knot at the end is out of sight? Or to put it another
way, what knot at which end? /hand
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

Just a quick thought, i may be wrong (which is likely), but on my poles

the
elasticated rope always seems to be under a little bit of tension, so,

how
do you rethread the untensioned elastic back through the pole... surely

it
wont be long enough!!!

Probably best to replace the elastic at the same time, makes it easier
to thread and get the right tension.
--
Paddy

Oh come on everybody! Now picture this...a bunch of people at the tent pole
factory busy stretching the elastic, licking the end and then trying to
thread it through the middle of a fibreglass pole. I don't think so!!! )

You really need to make a wire needle long enough to go through the entire
fibreglass section, with enough left over to thread the elastic through the
eye. Suggest you go to B&Q or similar and get a bit of electrical cable,
strip the conductors out and make a needle.

Regards
Jim

Old June 4th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Jim :
You really need to make a wire needle long enough to go through the entire
fibreglass section, with enough left over to thread the elastic through the
eye. Suggest you go to B&Q or similar and get a bit of electrical cable,
strip the conductors out and make a needle.

Thin garden wire did the job for me. It has to be thin though as the
hole in the poles is quite small. Not an easy job.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.