Advice required - Rucksacks, Backpacks, please.

Old June 5th 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
Trevor George

Default Advice required - Rucksacks, Backpacks, please.

My 20 year old daughter is planning a long walking trip of several months
and we have just started looking around at Rucksacks, Backpacks, that might
be suitable and comfortable and waterproof etc.

The 'outdoor' shops seem to plug a particular brand and offer conflicting
advice, from assistants that are too young or too inexperienced to *know*,
so I was just wondering if the combined wisdom of folks on this group might
be able to give some snippets of their wisdom in helping to choose a
Rucksack that might help us arrive at the 'perfect' choice. Gadjets or
mechanisms to avoid and pointers to look out for when choosing would be a
great help.

We've read the recent thread "What size rucksack?" so have picked up a few
pointers from there. We've also been 'Google-ing' and have seen items such
as this

This Rucksack with wheels ...
http://www.beaversports.co.uk/catalo.../rucksacks.htm

or any of the ones listed here, Berghaus, Karrimor, etc ...
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_...55/ca1256.html

or the women's one (second one down on this page) ...
http://www.hard2buy4.com/i_11697.html

--
Thanks ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

Old June 5th 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

Default Advice required - Rucksack, Backpacks, please.

Trevor George wrote:

My 20 year old daughter is planning a long walking trip of several months
and we have just started looking around at Rucksack, Backpacks, that
might be suitable and comfortable and waterproof etc.

The 'outdoor' shops seem to plug a particular brand and offer

conflictexpeditionce, from assistants that are too young or too
inexperienced to *know*,
so I was just wondering if the combined wisdom of folks on this group
might be able to give some snippets of their wisdom in helping to choose a
Rucksack that might help us arrive at the 'perfect' choice. Gadgets or
mechanisms to avoid and pointers to look out for when choosing would be a
great help.

We've read the recent thread "What size rucksack?" so have picked up a few
pointers from there. We've also been 'Goole-ing' and have seen items such
as this

This Rucksack with wheels ...
http://www.beaversports.co.uk/catalo.../rucksacks.htm

or any of the ones listed here, Berghaus, Karrimor, etc ...
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_...55/ca1256.html

or the women's one (second one down on this page) ...
http://www.hard2buy4.com/i_11697.html

--
Thanks ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

Depends on what you want it for ! if you will only ever use on a car train
plane then any will do . If you intend to carry it for 8 hrs a day for
three months I would recommend at least 65 ltr and a good make ie Karrimor
berghaus Macpack etc .

Make sure they have a lap strap as well as a comfortable back system . I
would expect to pay at least £150, the cheap ones from Millets etc are not
comfortable enough to carry day in day out despite what they will assure
you.

I personally would only ever buy Karrimor or Berghaus as they of excellent
quality and very durable .I last bought a Karrimor (65lt) rucksack 10 years
ago and the one before that 25 years ago both are still very usable but the
new on is allot more comfortable to carry all day .

My new big rucksack is 100 ltr which I got cheap from the Karrimor seconds
shop, which I have used about three times since. It is great for
backpacking with the kitchen sink as well it's so big you could almost
sleep in it. I would not have bought something that big if it was not cheap
It is really an expedition sac but what can do allot can do a little as
well.
--
Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1
Old June 5th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
Mike Mason

Bit of a generalisation there about assistants. Many of them, although
young, are very experienced climbers/mountaineers with knowledge of what is
good and what is bad gear. Every time I go into Brigham's in Liverpool and
ask a question about gear I get good sound advice from the assistants.

Mike Mason

Old June 5th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
Stephen (Sausagefans.com)

In article ,
says...
My 20 year old daughter is planning a long walking trip of several months
and we have just started looking around at Rucksacks, Backpacks, that might
be suitable and comfortable and waterproof etc.

The 'outdoor' shops seem to plug a particular brand and offer conflicting
advice, from assistants that are too young or too inexperienced to *know*,
so I was just wondering if the combined wisdom of folks on this group might
be able to give some snippets of their wisdom in helping to choose a
Rucksack that might help us arrive at the 'perfect' choice. Gadjets or
mechanisms to avoid and pointers to look out for when choosing would be a
great help.

We've read the recent thread "What size rucksack?" so have picked up a few
pointers from there. We've also been 'Google-ing' and have seen items such
as this

I'm sure other people will offer the advice on size etc based on usage
and how much it will be carried, is it an accompanied walking trip where
the kit is carried separately for example?

What I would say is how tall and large (no offense) framed is your
daughter. I'm 6 foot 5/6 but my white bergus looks daft on my 5 foot 3
fiancee!

I would buy the best you can buy as it really will pay off. Depending
on the load it might be worth your daughter doing some pre-training?
We're off on a little hike in the summer so we filled the backpacks and
took them out for 15-16 miles today just to get our shoulders used to
them again. Incidentally we did the Europe thing after Uni for a month
(I think) and 65 litres was fine for me and 55 litres fine for my lady.
Depends on what you are prepared to cope without.

Half the stuff twice the money.
--
For recipes, cooking tips and recommended butchers
http://www.sausagefans.com/
Old June 5th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
NEWTON

Bit of a generalisation there about assistants. Many of them, although
young, are very experienced climbers/mountaineers with knowledge of what

is
good and what is bad gear. Every time I go into Brigham's in Liverpool and
ask a question about gear I get good sound advice from the assistants.

Agree fully with that sentiment.

A month ago I was moved to write a letter of commendation to Ellis Brigham
about the knowledge and excellent customer service from their staff in the
Deansgate, Manchester store. They were first class and I thought they
deserved a pat on the back.

--
Dave Newton

Lake District walk&image site
http://www.daves-lakeland-mountains.co.uk

Old June 6th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
Trevor George

I didn't quite know where to put this in the thread, but it's just to say
thanks to all contributors.

It's been a great help in assessing what she needs.

We must have encountered a 'stand-in' assistant on the Saturday when we
visited our local 'Outdoor' supplier, as we've had some very useful help on
our return visit there.

Maybe they read the post :-)

--
Thanks ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

Old June 7th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
Peter Clinch

Trevor George wrote:
My 20 year old daughter is planning a long walking trip of several months
and we have just started looking around at Rucksacks, Backpacks, that might
be suitable and comfortable and waterproof etc.

It depends exactly what she has in mind. If it's walking around wild
places largely unsupported or if it's walking around a selection of
great cities then I'd personally use rather different packs for the job.

So, if you can define "a long walking trip of several months" a bit more
closely we can probably provide some more help!

But beyond that...
There's one very good way to decide what packs are comfy, and that's to
try them on with an approximate travel weight loaded inside (this is
also the best way to assess size: if you try and put what you intend to
carry inside you'll know if it fits or not). It will be self evident
which is most comfortable, and because different packs fit different
bodies better it's far more reliable than someone else saying "I like
Brand X". While not doubting that they do, it doesn't necessarily mean
that another person will fit Brand X's gear well.

As for waterproofing, there are a few out there that are genuinely
waterproof (various (but not all!) models from Vau De, Craghoppers and
Ortlieb, for example), but for the most part although packs are made of
waterproof fabrics they leak through the seams, so the more seams the
less waterproof. To keep contents dry use either internal waterproof
liners (binliners will do, but they tend to rip easily so personally I
use and recommend rather tougher purpose built liner sacks) and/or an
external raincover.

Gadjets or
mechanisms to avoid and pointers to look out for when choosing would be a
great help.

Again, this depends on the exact format.

This Rucksack with wheels ...
http://www.beaversports.co.uk/catalo.../rucksacks.htm

Great for wheeling around airports and the overall format means it'll be
fairly easy to pack and unpack and keep clothes presentable. Probably
well suited to a holiday with lots of urban stops connected by flights.
Of rather less use on a mountain track where the wheels and stiffening
for them are just dead weight. Eagle Creek do a fairly well thought of
range of these.

or any of the ones listed here, Berghaus, Karrimor, etc ...
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_...55/ca1256.html

or the women's one (second one down on this page) ...
http://www.hard2buy4.com/i_11697.html

The Usual Suspects listed above, in women's shapes and not, are all down
to try them on with weight in and see how they fit. Women's fit bags
take the general anatomical differences into account, but that isn't
necessarily a win as not only are women different from men, but also
from one another! my girlfriend is taller than I am and relatively broad
across the shoulders compared to Ms. U.K. Average, and I don't think her
big pack is a women's model as the men's generally fit her better. Try
things on to be sure.

For more general info on what packs may work well for different things
have a butchers at http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/packs.htm
and see if there's anything there that helps.

Beyond the pack, there's what to put in it. Fortunately "travel gear"
is /in/ right now and everyone is falling over themselves to provide
clothes that are not only fine for walking in but pack small, wash
easily, dry fast and won't have you looking like a refugee from Everest
Base Camp if you need to look smart (pleading your case on an
international border to a bureaucrat in the wrong language may well work
better if you're presentably smart by his standards). Rohan
(www.rohan.co.uk) are probably the archetype, but by no means the only
game in town. Shop around and see what fits and is affordable.

Pete
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old June 10th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
Trevor George UK

Peter Clinch wrote in message ...
So, if you can define "a long walking trip of several months" a bit more
closely we can probably provide some more help!

Peter, I'm away from home at the mo, but I really appreciate all you
have written in response and I'll read it more fully, when I'm not
paying these "Internet Cafe" charges.

Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk
Old June 11th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.camping
marc[_2_]

In article ,
says...
[...]

Start with the basics...

She's female so will want the shorter back of the ladies models ( unless
she is tall and has a long back of course)

After that what sort of load will she be carrrying?

defines size

How will she be carrying it?
On her back all the time on/off transport? Does she need wheels and the
ability to hide the shoulder straps?

What does she want to pay and how long do you want it to last?

The "names" do last longer but cost more, will it be binned after one
year or possibly after a few weeks, maybe it's worth buying a 25 one
every few months.

Ask your self the questions collate the answers and you will probably
have made your choice by then.