Low Voltage electricity

Old June 5th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Vernon

Default Low Voltage electricity

We have just bought a large frame tent, and a mains hookup lead, but I am
not too keen on having 240v all around the place with those metal poles!

Does anyone know where I can get a transformer that will step down from 240v
to 12v so I can buy low voltage lighting etc.

many thanks

Vernon

Old June 5th 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
drew

Vernon wrote:
We have just bought a large frame tent, and a mains hookup lead, but I am
not too keen on having 240v all around the place with those metal poles!

Does anyone know where I can get a transformer that will step down from 240v
to 12v so I can buy low voltage lighting etc.

many thanks

Vernon

Assuming the mains hookup you have has an RCD and you use good campsites
with RCDs and overcurrent trips you are pretty safe with 240v.

If your really hung up about it, car places like Halfords sell step-down
transformers with car cigar lighter sockets. These are designed to allow
you to run car accessories like 12V vacuum cleaners and the like from a
domestic mains supply. My sister uses one to run her 12v cool box when
camping. IIRC they do not supply very much current, something in the
region of 8 to 10A, this will get you about 120W (ish) of power for your
lighting.

IMHO it would be far better to use decent double insulated mains
lighting with low energy lamps.

HTH
Drew.

Old June 8th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:46:25 +0100, "Vernon"
wrote:

We have just bought a large frame tent, and a mains hookup lead, but I am
not too keen on having 240v all around the place with those metal poles!

Does anyone know where I can get a transformer that will step down from 240v
to 12v so I can buy low voltage lighting etc.

many thanks

Vernon

I know exactly what you need - it's called a Ranger Power Pack and
it's made by Estrasil.

Basically it's a 13.8V, 17amp rated, transformer/rectifier in a
weatherproof case which looks not unlike those yellow 240v to 110v
transformers that tradesmen use for their power tools, except these
are white.

I don't know if they're still in production. I picked one up 2nd hand
for about 20 many years ago. But I have seen them advertised for
sale on various occasion since then.

I believe they are(or at least were) very popular with the boating
set.

HTH

Neil

Old June 8th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

wrote:

[...]

Wonderful thing google try this link they make isolation transformers
http://www.apab08.dsl.pipex.com/marine.htm They are not cheap ,I would
recommend about 1 to 1.5 kva for camping.
--
Output Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1
Old June 8th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Vernon

Wonderful thing google try this link they make isolation transformers
http://www.apab08.dsl.pipex.com/marine.htm They are not cheap ,I would
recommend about 1 to 1.5 kva for camping.

I have emailed them, and await a reply with pricing about the white
transformer boxes, as from experience anything that says marine use also has
a large markup!

Thanks all

Old June 9th 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Vernon

I know exactly what you need - it's called a Ranger Power Pack and
it's made by Estrasil.

Basically it's a 13.8V, 17amp rated, transformer/rectifier in a
weatherproof case which looks not unlike those yellow 240v to 110v
transformers that tradesmen use for their power tools, except these
are white.

I don't know if they're still in production. I picked one up 2nd hand
for about 20 many years ago. But I have seen them advertised for
sale on various occasion since then.

I have received a reply from BC Electrical Techniques, they stopped making
the Power Ranger some 15 years ago! However the MD has found an ex display
model I can have for 70 inc delivery and VAT, alternatively they now sell a
different product for mounting inside a caravan called a PB17 this is 85. A
little on the expensive side me thinks?

Old June 9th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:01:25 +0100, "Vernon"
wrote:

I have received a reply from BC Electrical Techniques, they stopped making
the Power Ranger some 15 years ago! However the MD has found an ex display
model I can have for 70 inc delivery and VAT, alternatively they now sell a
different product for mounting inside a caravan called a PB17 this is 85. A
little on the expensive side me thinks?

Vernon,

Keep an eye on the free ads papers - that's where I have seen more
than one for sale, average price 20 - 25.

If you like, I'll let you know if I spot one. Whereabouts are you,
the last one I saw was in my local Cash Convertors shop.

Neil

Old June 9th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Vernon

wrote:

I have received a reply from BC Electrical Techniques, they stopped

making
the Power Ranger some 15 years ago! However the MD has found an ex

display
model I can have for 70 inc delivery and VAT, alternatively they now

sell a
different product for mounting inside a caravan called a PB17 this is

85. A
little on the expensive side me thinks?

Vernon,

Keep an eye on the free ads papers - that's where I have seen more
than one for sale, average price 20 - 25.

If you like, I'll let you know if I spot one. Whereabouts are you,
the last one I saw was in my local Cash Convertors shop.

Neil

I will have to look more closely in the local free ads paper. If you should
see one at a reasonable price I would be obliged, unfortunately we live in
Wiltshire, so a little out of the way.

thanks

Vernon

Old June 10th 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Norman[_2_]

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:01:25 +0100, "Vernon"
wrote:

Hi,

Is this what you want:
Re-chargeable heavy duty jump start system for trucks, 4x4s, vans, RVs
and cars.

Maintenance-Free Heavy Duty Sealed 12V Battery
Up to 50 hours of Portable DC Power
Charging Level Gauge
Re-charges from 12V DC or 230V AC Adaptor (included)
Work / Emergency Light
260psi Air Compressor with Pressure Gauge
12V Power Take Off
see Screwfix item 10493 on the following web site:

Norman

Old July 2nd 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
daveasbury

Hi mate,

it's already been said so i'll re-iterate it. As long as you have RCD you
are safe. those things trip out on milli-amps.

And if you're really paranoid knock a stake into the ground and clip it to
the pole - it's then earthed.